Zucchini

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of yellow squash...

I have a friend who always has an abundance of overgrown straightneck yellow squash. I mean, I probably could play baseball using these for a bat. They are huge, seedy, and very hard.

She does not want them, and lets me have them when I ask. I love them because I can use them to stretch all kinds of meals a long way. They are so mild that they adopt the flavors of whatever they are cooked in.

I simply cut the seeds out, cube the squash "meat", saute them with onions, salt, and pepper in a small amount of oil, then add a little chicken broth and cook until almost tender. Then I drop them into just about any stage of a recipe to take on the flavors.

Soups, stews, gumbos? Chop and drop into the pot.

You don't like the zucchini?

It's wonderful chicken and pig food and looks nice when it's growing.
It's an invasive crop that is better than poison oak or ivy.
It's not that I don't like it but, like most other veggies, I don't need it in my bread. ;)

It's wonderful chicken and pig food and looks nice when it's growing.
It's an invasive crop that is better than poison oak or ivy.
It's not that I don't like it but, like most other veggies, I don't need it in my bread. ;)
Have you ever eaten zucchini bread? It is usually sweet and can have things like nuts and raisins added to it.

Yes, bread, cake, hard rolls, fried, baked and pickled. After that summer I decided that I don't need it in my diet.
Anything you can put in zucchini bread you cab put in regular bread and it always tastes better without the zucchini. :)

Not my recipe, but a friend shared it.

Cheddar, chive and zucchini quick bread
🥖
🌿
🧀

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded (do not squeeze)
1/4 cup chives, diced
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Mix the zucchini, chives, eggs, sour cream, and butter well before mixing in the cheese.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and pour the batter into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.*
Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Take out and top with fresh cheddar cheese and chives and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Let cool… Remove from pan and slice. Top with butter if desired and enjoy
NOTE: Eggs are all different sizes so if the batter seems thick, you can add an extra egg.

The great thing about overgrown summer squash & cucumbers is it is loved by pigs, which will eat anything that can not out run them. Chicken love it too, Specially if they are not pastured, we spilt the squash in half, to feed it to the chickens.
As well as rinds of all melons & any rotten melons, any over grown okra, nothing is wasted on the farm.

I have squash bugs so I got 1 zucchini last year and 1 this year then the squash bugs killed all of my squash.
Back when we actually grew zucchini my wife made a lot of zucchini bread.
Her favorite way to cook them was to slice the zucchini into rounds about 1/4" thick Egg wash, Italian bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese and bake them in the oven.
Have you tried sprinkling either Lime or Self-Rising flour around the stems to deter the squash bugs?

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk
2 1/2 cup flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated zucchini
1/4 cup chocolate chips
optional: add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream together butter, oil, and the sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla and milk and blend thoroughly. Sift flour and dry ingredients together. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and blend thoroughly. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips, mix together. Pour mixture into a greased and floured bread pan (9 x 3 x 2). Bake at 325 for 40 to 45 minutes.

Zucchini Cheesy Bread​

SERVES: 4

3 medium zucchini
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. cornstarch
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
Marinara, for dipping

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate zucchini. Using cheesecloth or a dish towel, wring excess moisture out of zucchini.
Transfer zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
Transfer “dough” to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Slice and serve with marinara.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/chocolate-zucchini-bread/
yield: 1 LOAF

prep time: 15 MINUTES

cook time: 50 MINUTES

total time: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup canola, vegetable oil, or melted coconut oil
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the eggs, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Stir until smooth. You might have a few small brown sugar clumps and that is fine.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t over mix. Stir in the shredded zucchini until just combined. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean, you might have some melted chocolate chips on the toothpick and that is fine. You just don’t want a lot of gooey batter.
Remove the pan from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool on the wire cooling rack until slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve.

Note-if you use coconut oil, make sure it is melted and slightly cooled. The bread will keep on the counter, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes well. To freeze, cool the bread completely and wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost before slicing.

Spicy Vegetable Latkes

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 appetizer or side-dish servings (12 to 14 small pancakes)

3/4 cup coarsely grated zucchini
4 ounces small mushrooms
5 tablespoons olive oil, more if needed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup frozen peas, cooked
1/2 cup frozen corn, cooked
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons matzo meal

1. Put grated zucchini in a colander. Squeeze by handfuls to remove excess liquid; discard liquid. Leave zucchini in colander while preparing next ingredients.
2. Halve mushrooms, place them cut side down on board, and slice thin. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions and mushrooms are tender. Add cumin and turmeric and stir over low heat for a few seconds.
3.Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl. Add zucchini, peas, and corn and mix well. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and cayenne to taste. Stir in eggs and then matzo meal.
4. Heat 3 or 4 tablespoons oil in a deep heavy large skillet. For each latke, add 1 or 2 heaping tablespoons of vegetable mixture to pan. Flatten them slightly with back of a spoon. Sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Turn very carefully using two spatulas.
5. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Stir mixture before sautéing each new batch. If all the oil is absorbed during sautéing, add 1 tablespoon more oil to the pan. Serve hot.

Jewish Mother's Tip: If your mushrooms are large, quarter them before slicing. Any large pieces of food in latkes can prevent them from holding together. Keep this point in mind when you create your own.

Mock Lemon pie filling:
7-8lbs grated Summer squash OR Zucchini
32 oz bottle of lemon juice
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
6C sugar
De-seed if using large squash. No need to peel yellow squash if the skin is tender. If using Zucchini however, peel it because it's...well, GREEN! And we don't want green lemon pie!
Grate raw squash and place in a large pot along with all other ingredients listed above, and mix well. Place lid and bring to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes or until squash is completely cooked/tender, stirring frequently to prevent scorching/burning.
Place portions of your cooked mixture in a blender and puree until smooth (be careful as the hot contents will blow your blender lid right off!)....or use an immersion blender to smooth completely.
Place smoothed mixture back into your pan.
Thickener:
2C sugar
2C Tapioca flour OR Clear jel
Wisk sugar and tapioca flour together with just enough water in order to make a slurry. Slowly add slurry to hot pureed mixture in your pan, wisking/stirring well as you add it.
Simmer another 5 minutes stirring constantly to avoid scorching/burning.
Ladle hot pie filling into jars leaving 1" headspace, wipe rims, place lids/rings.
Hot water bath or steam can.
Pints 25
Quarts 35
Makes 6-7 quarts, or 12-14 pints
To use: Place filling in a pre-baked pie shell. Top with a classic egg white meringue and bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. ❤️
My notes: unpeeled yellow Summer squash adds natural beautiful yellow color to this.
Peel green zucchini if using that. Yellow food coloring can also be added if needed. Just a few drops would work right before you ladle it into your jars.
With UNPEELED tender skinned (peel if you cannot pierce the skin with your fingernails as tough skin will not blend up smooth)zucchini....a key lime pie filling could also be made using this recipe, by simply replacing the lemon juice, with lime juice, and replacing zest and juice of one lemon, with a lime instead.
"IF" pie filling is not thick enough upon opening to use, simply heat it and add a little corn starch slurry simmering a few minutes to thicken it. But I've found that my measurement of tapioca flour results in a wonderfully thick filling that doesn't require additional thickening at the time of use.
Enjoy!!
Lorrie Miller

From my facebook group S.N.U.G.

First post I see on this thread is Grizzleyettes. Didnt she pass away? I miss her posts

I make a lot of stuff out of zuccini

bread: flour , eggs, sugar, shredded zuccini ( I take out the seeds) , shortening, baking powder and soda, walnuts
( let me know if you want the exact recipe, it makes good bread, I sell all of it at the market)

stuffed zuccini: ground meat of choice, onions , garlic and the zuccini parts from the hollowed out zuccini. Add some tomato paste , tabasco and heavy cream, stuff the zuccini, top with shredded white cheddar or mozerella and bake

Zuccini casserole: cut them in chunks, cut some potatoes into slices, fry with some ground meat, onions, garlic add tomato sauce, pepper, and cinnamon and top with parmesan cheese , bake

I only have one zucchini recipe:
4 mature zucchini cut into slices.
1 Vidalia onion cut into slices.
Fry together in light oil until done, add one mixed egg, and sprinkle with half cornmeal and half flour.
Drain and fry until you get a crust.

My aunt used to make zucchini biscuits by adding zucchini puree to Bisquick dough and baking it, I think it had shredded cheese either in it or on top as soon as it came out of the oven.

= = = =
We did a marmalade texture jam similar to this one time.. Very good and worth doing again is my opinion..

Also the shredded zucchini with pineapple juice over it works well as a pineapple substitute over pork, bear roasts and other similar uses..

First post I see on this thread is Grizzleyettes. Didnt she pass away? I miss her posts
We really don't know what happened to her. Since she isn't posting anymore she is either incapacitated or deceased. Since we really do not know each others real names, we cannot search for her by her real name. She was one of the most knowledgeable preppers and had been in a really bad situation in her younger days.

I've seen this recipe for a while and it sounds good.
https://www.budgetbytes.com/baked-zucchini-fries/

Baked Zucchini Fries​

Baked Zucchini Fries make a delicious snack or side dish and are the perfect way to use up that extra bumper crop of summer zucchini.

Prep Time20minutes mins
Cook Time20minutes mins
Total Time40minutes mins
Servings: 4

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Slice the zucchini into matchsticks that are ½-inch wide and 3-inches long. Set the zucchini aside.
  • Whisk the eggs in a bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the panko, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and ¼ tsp salt.
  • Add the sliced zucchini to a large bowl. Sprinkle the all-purpose flour and remaining ¼ tsp salt over the zucchini. Toss the zucchini until they are evenly coated in flour.
  • Place wire cooling racks over a large baking sheet to lift the zucchini pieces and allow airflow underneath. Bread the zucchini slices by briefly dipping them in the whisked egg, letting the excess run off, then coating them in the panko-Parmesan mixture.
  • Place the breaded zucchini on the wire racks with a small amount of space between each piece to allow for airflow.
  • Bake the breaded zucchini fries for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
  • Serve immediately with pizza sauce for dipping.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1serving | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 700mg | Fiber: 3g

I make Mexican zuchinni.

half the zuchinni
take out pulp leaving a good inch . Rub some olive oil on the boats and Toss these in the oven to soften. while waiting for the boats, cook some quinoa in chicken broth and add pulp, corn, black beans, peppers, cook until done. Add tomato chunks and cheese. Put into the zuchinni boats and some more cheese and back into the oven to broil. Slice and eat.

I make Mexican zuchinni.

half the zuchinni
take out pulp leaving a good inch . Rub some olive oil on the boats and Toss these in the oven to soften. while waiting for the boats, cook some quinoa in chicken broth and add pulp, corn, black beans, peppers, cook until done. Add tomato chunks and cheese. Put into the zuchinni boats and some more cheese and back into the oven to broil. Slice and eat.
I don't know how I missed this, sounds SO good!

Latest posts

Back