10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm at the BOL, now, so all this has changed.

I'm going to have to change everything up.

Still need a BOB, in case I have to to leave, but if I had to leave here, I have no idea where I would go!

I suppose 10 to 20 Invaders could force us flee, 100 would be overkill.

Either way, I'd be really tempted to stay around here and harrass them, and try to take this place back.

Maybe I can set up for that?

@Squirtgunsquirter

At a different forum, a member establish emergency caches in a 360 perimeter around his home location, within a couple of miles. I have selected my nearby retreat location (i/2 mile -- bolt holes), my semi- close location (5 miles) -- fall back and regroup. Anything further will be out of my ability to travel there and have stored supplies. Since you are at your BOL, you might just consider mini cashes for resupply on a temporary basis. These cashes will allow you the time and resources to plan on how to retrieve your BOL supplies and eliminate those evil doer's. JM2C

Well, I'm at the BOL, now, so all this has changed.

I'm going to have to change everything up.

Still need a BOB, in case I have to to leave, but if I had to leave here, I have no idea where I would go!

I suppose 10 to 20 Invaders could force us flee, 100 would be overkill.

Either way, I'd be really tempted to stay around here and harrass them, and try to take this place back.

Maybe I can set up for that?

Maybe you could come down to my top secret location. We will ask you 4 questions, if you answer all 4 correctly your in, answer even one wrong and your dog food, either way we make use of you.

10 Must-Have Items for a Bug Out Bag

Having a bug out bag, or a 72 hour kit, is a necessity for every person in your family. We never know when an emergency might hit, and three days could be the difference between life and death, in some cases. If something ever happened, a bug out bag is going to be the thing that bails you out.

Here are 10 things that you’ll need to have in a bug out bag for everyone in your family:

10. Blankets

You’re going to need something to keep you warm at night, wherever you might be. Blankets are going to do just that. As opposed to bringing large, bulky blankets, I’d use a space blanket. They keep you very warm and they are lightweight, too. These space blankets will be much easier to lug around in a backpack than a blanket that you have on your bed, at home.

9. Extra Clothes

If you’re forced to use your bug out bag, there is a strong chance that you’ll be forced to face the elements. Sometimes, those elements happen to dampen your body and clothes. If you get wet in the winter and don’t have a change of clothes, you could get hypothermia, or other illnesses.

8. Battery Powered Radio

In emergency situations, the radio might be your only communication to the rest of the world. Being informed of what is going on is extremely vital. If for some reason you can’t use it to get information, at least you’ll be able to jam out to some tunes.

7. Cash

Depending on the emergency that’s happened around you, you might not be able to use credit cards. Putting a little cash in your 72 hour kit could go a long way. You could use it to buy food, clothes, or play presidential flash cards. Some extra green never hurt anyone.

6. Flashlight

A flashlight can be good for a bunch of different things. Not only will it help you get around at night, but it can also be good to help people find you. Turn your flashlight on and wave it at planes or helicopters to come and find you. It could also potentially keep wildlife away from you.

5. Flint

How many of us know how to make a fire? Me neither. Fire is going to be crucial to help keeping you warm, and cooking things, too. Flint makes it really easy to get your fire going, plus it’s small and light to carry around in your bug out bag.

4. Water

An adult needs to drink about a gallon of water per day. Considering that your bug out bag should last you three days, and it should all fit in a backpack, carrying around water might not be the best idea. Instead, you can bring a water bottle with a filter. You can refill your bottle whenever you need to, and it will be clean, healthy water. Another option is taking water purifiers.

3. Food

Finding something that will fit in your backpack might not always be easy, but there is a surprising amount of food that you can pack along. MREs and canned foods are good and easy to pack. Dehydrated foods are another type of food that is easy to pack. Jerky is light, filling and tasty. Make sure that you pack enough for three days, though.

2. Shelter

No, I’m not suggesting that you take a big, fancy tent along with you. A tarp or two can work wonders, though. You can build a lean to, or put a “roof” over your head, at night. It will keep you dry and safe from rain.

1. First Aid Kit

You never know what kind of scrapes and cuts that you might take, in this emergency. A first aid kit should have the bandages and medications that you’ll need to make it through three days, though.

I believe you may have forgot a few simple items. A couple handguns, and rifles with plenty of ammo. A good survival knife, and a few other items necessary to make it after SHTF

I am creating BOB list for my friend.
I have the basics as covered through these 8 pages of comments.
The thing I'm having an issue with is that she is a female and I am not.
Ladies, I need your input on thing like toiletries and feminine supplies.
My friend is less than a novice in prepping and doesn't quite comprehend the concept of "travel light".
She is learning though.
I have daughters, but they are of no help to me in this endeavor.

I am creating BOB list for my friend.
I have the basics as covered through these 8 pages of comments.
The thing I'm having an issue with is that she is a female and I am not.
Ladies, I need your input on thing like toiletries and feminine supplies.
My friend is less than a novice in prepping and doesn't quite comprehend the concept of "travel light".
She is learning though.
I have daughters, but they are of no help to me in this endeavor.
I was a paramedic, and have worked in the medical field for 30 years. If you don't take it as me overstepping my bounds with a stranger in a sensitive area, then suggest a menstrual cup. It's a reusable, hygenic, unobstrusive way for women to deal with the menstral cycle in extreme environments.

01_block_ecomZIGGY_450x450.jpg

I hope I didn't cause offense.

I am so far away from any big city or large urban centre, several hundreds of miles, that bugging out really dosent make any sense.
I have 5 or 6 bolt holes I can relocate to for short periods but only in extreme circumstances and only as a last resort.

For me when the author says list TEN essential items I have an issue as certain essential go hand in hand. for example I list

Flashlight and Batteries as one item
Knife and Sharpener as one item
Map and Compass as one item
Radio and Batteries as one item
Lighter and Fuel tabs as one item
Shades and Cleaning cloth as one item
Soap and Towelette as one item
Phone and Power Pack.

And I assume a gun is pretty useless without ammo?

Last edited:
For me when the author says list TEN essential items I have an issue as certain essential go hand in hand. for example I list

Flashlight and Batteries as one item
Knife and Sharpener as one item
Map and Compass as one item
Radio and Batteries as one item
Lighter and Fuel tabs as one item
Shades and Cleaning cloth as one item
Soap and Towelette as one item
Phone and Power Pack.

And I assume a gun is pretty useless without ammo?
So we're talking minor/short term disaster, not necessarily something you would "bug out" for? Or assuming phone will still work at first?
While I like my phone (a lot) I don't consider it an essential item because it's something we can so easily live without. A lot of these other items are more of what I would consider essential -knife and sharpener for sure, fire starter, etc. I would add life straw (what I carry) or some other method of purifying drinking water as well, for sure.

So we're talking minor/short term disaster, not necessarily something you would "bug out" for? Or assuming phone will still work at first?
While I like my phone (a lot) I don't consider it an essential item because it's something we can so easily live without. A lot of these other items are more of what I would consider essential -knife and sharpener for sure, fire starter, etc. I would add life straw (what I carry) or some other method of purifying drinking water as well, for sure.

Short to medium Kate, short term would not normally see me carrying extra batteries / power packs etc , but medium term disruption would see me carrying spare batteries at least plus a mini 5v dc solar panel to top up things like mobile phones, radios, recharge power packs etc. My phones gallery memory is full of usefull documents, infographics, aide memoirs , maps and an FM radio etc . It rarely gets used as a phone, but the GPS maps are handy. I carry a couple of strips of water purification tablets instead of life straw quite simply cos I get them for nothing :)

Short to medium Kate, short term would not normally see me carrying extra batteries / power packs etc , but medium term disruption would see me carrying spare batteries at least plus a mini 5v dc solar panel to top up things like mobile phones, radios, recharge power packs etc. My phones gallery memory is full of usefull documents, infographics, aide memoirs , maps and an FM radio etc . It rarely gets used as a phone, but the GPS maps are handy. I carry a couple of strips of water purification tablets instead of life straw quite simply cos I get them for nothing :)
I have the water purification tablets too but the life straw is just sooo handy.
Speaking of charging phones in a disaster scenario, I have this cool solar power LED lantern that someone gave me that has usb charging ports on it, and it folds down to store flat when not in use. It's really handy and it could serve multiple purposes. I may consider adding it to my edc bag.

To the original list I would add good multitool and disposable wipes.
I like multi tools that the hinge pivots can be easily adjusted and dont require some weird Security Torx bits to adjust things, So i tend to use Gerber multi pliers which are adjustable by simple allan key, where as the Leatherman wave I was given had weird torx fittings.

Water filtration is always at the top of any list for me. I have the life straws and think it’s a good product due to its size but feel it’s only good for clear water. Living in the south where it’s hot more than not I want something that can handle more volume than just a straw, and has a container to carry water between fillings. Getting dehydrated affects you faster than most people realize.

In terms of paper maps, individual state and city foldups or atlas? The atlas weighs about 2.5lbs, but I would think the individual maps would be bulky if you had more than a few. I doubt I'd need anything for outside of Texas right away so maybe just Texas map for the b.o.b. and the atlas for bugout site. Thoughts?

In terms of paper maps, individual state and city foldups or atlas? The atlas weighs about 2.5lbs, but I would think the individual maps would be bulky if you had more than a few. I doubt I'd need anything for outside of Texas right away so maybe just Texas map for the b.o.b. and the atlas for bugout site. Thoughts?
I was just considering this myself the other day as I was driving back to TX from MS right after the hurricane. Fortunately I know a few good routes through there, but if I had to go in another direction I would need some good maps. Unfortunately I'm in the bad habit of using google maps for everything so this is something I need to work on adding to my bag.

I'd like to point out that for food'cans get really heavy, really fast. While a couple of cans may not seem that heavy individually when packed up you will feel how heavy they are. I'd suggest no more than 3-4 cans for a 72 hour bag.

My 2 cents
I have cans of Tuna, small, light and good! Plus a can opener! In the car I have tea light candles and a new paint can to make heat when it is cold, not a good idea to build a fire inside your car! Several ways to make fire, bic lighters with flammable cordage wrapped around the striker and button to keep it from letting the gas out, fire starter rod, magnesium fire starter, all in the bag plus the one I carry in my pocket. Plus the tinder, cotton balls w/petroleum jelly, duraflame fire starters. Hand warmers. Wow, now I need to pull our bags out and go through them again! Thanks for the Post!

After reading all nine pages, there are some good ideas here. One thing nobody mentioned was large trash bags. These trash bags can keep you dry, like a poncho when it rains and can act like another layer of clothes without adding weight for warmth. If you get caught in the rain you can use these trash bags to catch rainwater to refill your canteen. Every person's situation is different, but we can gleam information from everyone.

Latest posts

Back