20 years from now.....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
With schools handing out laptops now, and the utter dependence on computer tech, what happens if 20 years from now the grid goes down for a month? Chaos would be my guess. How many students know what to do with pen and paper these days?

With schools handing out laptops now, and the utter dependence on computer tech, what happens if 20 years from now the grid goes down for a month? Chaos would be my guess. How many students know what to do with pen and paper these days?

I have agree completely. They only learn to print (barely) then on to computers, laptops and tablets. Spell checker takes the place learning to spell and computer shorthand is going to replace sentences. Grid down and they are going to be lost.

Why wait 20 years? We would have chaos today if electronic communication systems went down for an extended period of time. Imagine no cell phone service and no internet. That means no food or fuel distribution, hospitals would be in quite a jam, emergency services would be compromised, and no doubt a whole lot more bad news.

But yes, I get what you're saying. The ability to read a printed book and write a report on it with pen and paper - in cursive, no less! - are lost skills.

I tell this to our grandkids all the time, as they have no cell phone, very limited tv (1 family movie on Friday night), PG 13 rated video games (only 30 min a day). Grandson does fight this and says he wants to be "like all the other boys", meaning no chores and just video games. That'll be another problem. His peers have no chores and very little outside time. They go to school, come home and play video games. Parents are busy and allow lots of takeout food, too. Grandaughter had her girlfriends over for an end of school year party Saturday, and none of them could put down their smartphone for very long. They are 12.
They have asked for a Kindle, I said no. We have them read at least 30 minutes a day from a real book. Their penmanship has gone slack over the schoolyear, but we use summertime to work 2 hours a day on the three R's, penmanship (cursive), and reading. Saturdays are for chores and Sundays are for family.

My children are out of school(K-12), but my son says the same about the work force.
Men 10 years older have no land, saving & most have been to prison.
Most who have land had it given to them & sale it for the money which is gone in weeks.

Why wait 20 years? We would have chaos today if electronic communication systems went down for an extended period of time. Imagine no cell phone service and no internet. That means no food or fuel distribution, hospitals would be in quite a jam, emergency services would be compromised, and no doubt a whole lot more bad news.

But yes, I get what you're saying. The ability to read a printed book and write a report on it with pen and paper - in cursive, no less! - are lost skills.

I believe you are correct.....even now, let the grid go down for a month and we'd have instant SHTF. And what's so bad is that the electrical grid is very likely the most vulnerable system we have, and it's already overloaded, subjected to brownouts and blackouts, never mind sabotage.

Back