2019 in Review

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
Before we get to 2020 and what we hope our future holds, I thought perhaps we should take a quick look back at 2019. No, I am not talking about what happened in politics, natural disasters, or which celebrity made a zillion dollars. I am talking about you. How did 2019 go for you? Did you set and achieve any goals? Did you learn a new language? Did you shore up those preps and add a few guns to the arsenal? Are you just happy to have come out still breathing now that we're at the end? What say you about 2019?

2019.jpg

All in all not a bad year for us. Wife stayed pretty healthy all year, which for her is a big deal. Finished up a handful of projects around the house, started some others. Garden didn't do very well, but we were able to find some quality produce and was still able to put up a fair amount.
We are sure happy to still be breathing here at the end of the year.

In 2019 I ended a short career in intelligence and returned to my old career in law enforcement & threat management. Otherwise it was pretty normal and blessed year for me. I added to my preps, added to my guns & ammo, finished some home remodeling, and purchased a new-to-me SUV. I also discovered I am not as young as I once was and that it's as hard to quit drinking soda as it is to quit smoking.

Maybe this is the Twilight Zone episode and you two ARE the only ones we made it! :confused:

I made it through another year of overtime at work. They say they’re trying to make it better for next year, I sort of went off on the supervisor last July during one of our meetings. We shall see. I’m blessed but I can do with a little less of THAT blessing.

I also can tell I’m getting older because I go Monday for an MRI of my knee that I hurt six months ago.

DH's health has gone downhill a bit but my health has improved immensely! We are downsizing most everything at this point, which is why we gave up the goats and will be selling DH's car soon. Had a better garden than I thought but nowhere near big enough--more next year. Will be learning more about the plants in our area, too.

Well, we are on the right side of the sod. There is something to be said for that. Wife had some serious health issues that started last February, and are still not resolved. We are on the second round of doctors. Fingers crossed. She is better, but not out of the woods.

Still working at the same place, which is a blessing and a curse, but employed is good. The only thing worse than working is not working.

Blues won the Stanley Cup with a truly magical year. There were so many feel-good stories associated with the team that it really made it special. Hollywood couldn't script it any better.

We were blessed with our first grandchild. That in itself would make it a great year.

2019 was better than I deserved...

My Chronic Kidney Disease finally pushed me to Dialysis, but I ended up in a great clinic with a schedule that didn't require a major inconvenience.
Work had been really understanding and accommodating with my dialysis schedule and doctors appointments.

I've added several new firearms to my collection, including a pair of Winchester 94 lever actions, an S&W 442, and a Glock 19 that's become my new favorite carry gun.

My son got married and his wife started teaching full time. They both came over for Christmas dinner. Haven't spent Christmas with my son in 14 years.

My sister agreed to get tested to see if she was a viable living kidney donor candidate for me (so far so good...).

My wife got 2 classes closer to her AA degree (she studies while I'm on dialysis and she got A's in both classes! I'm so proud of her!).

Oh, and The Expanse released Season 4 on Amazon Prime! (Love that show!)

All in all, a better year than I expected! Here's to an even better 2020!

This looking back thing happens at the wrong time for me. Need to wait to see if Spring comes again, so the wintertime blues subside. And now there's Virginia to worry about.
In Times Square the year ends with a ball dropping, right? Seems like a lot of balls been dropped this year.
And - - - no, I ain't going to erase this. Sorry, folks.

2019 treated us pretty well. We got some projects done, even though we have several more on the list. We dropped some pounds by changing our eating habits, which have seemed to stick. We scaled down our work. We met some new friends. We put some more funds into retirement. We helped the kids get through some major life milestones. We had a nice vacation. We truly were blessed and are extremely grateful for it. We only had one death in the family and that was grandma, who was waiting for God to take her, so it wasn't incredibly sad since she did live to be over 100 and died peacefully.

If 2020 is similar to 2019, I won't mind one bit.

All in all not a bad year for us. Wife stayed pretty healthy all year, which for her is a big deal. Finished up a handful of projects around the house, started some others. Garden didn't do very well, but we were able to find some quality produce and was still able to put up a fair amount.
We are sure happy to still be breathing here at the end of the year.

Well, we are on the right side of the sod. There is something to be said for that. Wife had some serious health issues that started last February, and are still not resolved. We are on the second round of doctors. Fingers crossed. She is better, but not out of the woods.

Still working at the same place, which is a blessing and a curse, but employed is good. The only thing worse than working is not working.

Blues won the Stanley Cup with a truly magical year. There were so many feel-good stories associated with the team that it really made it special. Hollywood couldn't script it any better.

We were blessed with our first grandchild. That in itself would make it a great year.

BacP and Morgan give these hugs to your spouses from me and mine. :huggs:.Hope this next year is better for all.

Before we get to 2020 and what we hope our future holds, I thought perhaps we should take a quick look back at 2019. No, I am not talking about what happened in politics, natural disasters, or which celebrity made a zillion dollars. I am talking about you. How did 2019 go for you? Did you set and achieve any goals? Did you learn a new language? Did you shore up those preps and add a few guns to the arsenal? Are you just happy to have come out still breathing now that we're at the end? What say you about 2019?

View attachment 31961

We did ok considering the condition we'er in. I'm waiting for 3nd eye dr.s opinion coming up in Jan..:eyeballs: .

2019 was better than I deserved...

My Chronic Kidney Disease finally pushed me to Dialysis, but I ended up in a great clinic with a schedule that didn't require a major inconvenience.
Work had been really understanding and accommodating with my dialysis schedule and doctors appointments.

I've added several new firearms to my collection, including a pair of Winchester 94 lever actions, an S&W 442, and a Glock 19 that's become my new favorite carry gun.

My son got married and his wife started teaching full time. They both came over for Christmas dinner. Haven't spent Christmas with my son in 14 years.

My sister agreed to get tested to see if she was a viable living kidney donor candidate for me (so far so good...).

My wife got 2 classes closer to her AA degree (she studies while I'm on dialysis and she got A's in both classes! I'm so proud of her!).

Oh, and The Expanse released Season 4 on Amazon Prime! (Love that show!)

All in all, a better year than I expected! Here's to an even better 2020!

Sparky hope it all works out for you and you get a match.

This looking back thing happens at the wrong time for me. Need to wait to see if Spring comes again, so the wintertime blues subside. And now there's Virginia to worry about.
In Times Square the year ends with a ball dropping, right? Seems like a lot of balls been dropped this year.
And - - - no, I ain't going to erase this. Sorry, folks.

VThil, take care of yourself. I don't like cloudy days either.

Back