2023 Hunting Seasons...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
Now that I'm back by Lake Superior, it will soon be bear season...
Tags are alotted by a draw system per region.. You can hunt over bait.. Of course there are a lot of rules about baiting.. However hunting over bait and with dogs is the best thing that can happen to bears for a lot of reasons.. Don't get me started on that part of the science and biology.... Also I'm sure it has happened, but I never heard of anyone, or very few people harvesting a ...sour... bear... That is one because of its diet the meat is unusable... I got a ..sour bear.. in the far north once when it was feeding on rotten things in our local swamp...

Also it is time of year to start hearing stories of bear encounters as people are still out and about and bears are in bulk up mode..

What is going on in your neck of the woods ??

Moose season is over. Caribou season has been canceled in some areas. The deep snow the past couple years along with the large number of bears both colors n wolves have the number of moose seen n harvested this year way down. In a week of hunting moose 2 dead moose were found from being killed by bears and or wolves.
Was a tough season to harvest game but getting out into the bush is always great. And a couple weeks out at the cabin helped heal me up on the ol brain. Kinda like hitting reset button

Dove season right now, been hearing shotguns lately. Neighbor over back of me, we split a big hollar. He's been taking his coon dogs out, working every hollar around me. I've gone out a couple nights just to listen to his hounds, something about the sound of a dog that hits a trail stirs the blood. But i'm too old to go stomping around in the woods at night. He's welcome to hunt across the farm. Keeps the coyotes skittish...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back