22 Items Every Prepper Should Stockpile

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw this on You Tube, and thought it was interesting. We already have all of these items in significant quantities, so I feel pretty comfortable. I always watch these to see if there are any holes I need to plug, and it's not a bad reminder to stay stocked up.

I don't do videos. When someone watches it, can you post a list? Much appreciated.

Salt
Socks
Lighters
Flashlights
Batteries
Backpacks
Matches
Cordage
Duct Tape
Candles
Cotton Balls
Soap
Vaseline
Toothpaste
Tooth Brushes
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Bleach
Tarps
First Aid supplies
Multitools

Salt
Socks
Lighters
Flashlights
Batteries
Backpacks
Matches
Cordage
Duct Tape
Candles
Cotton Balls
Soap
Vaseline
Toothpaste
Tooth Brushes
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Bleach
Tarps
First Aid supplies
Multitools
I made a spreadsheet. I added first aid supply details. I don't want to post mine since Morgan has posted this list, unless someone wants a spreadsheet list.

Salt
Socks
Lighters
Flashlights
Batteries
Backpacks
Matches
Cordage
Duct Tape
Candles
Cotton Balls
Soap
Vaseline
Toothpaste
Tooth Brushes
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Bleach
Tarps
First Aid supplies
Multitools
No knife? Multitools usually have some kind of blade on them. I don't consider that a useful knife however. It's what you use when you don't have your knife.

It's funny that they list salt, but not food. There is some useful stuff on the list. That being said, it appears more a random hodge-podge of things. I personally would choose a container of water over the jar of Vasoline they have on their list. Cotton balls can indeed be useful too - but they don't represent a priority item for me. They're not in the "top 20" as this list implies. Thank God they listed socks. No other clothing though. I guess I'd be halfway ready to go streaking in the post-apocalypse (only missing the shoes, that didn't appear on the list either).

I don't disagree. There are a lot of things I would put ahead of what is on this list. Water and water purification should be near the top. These are just good things to have.

Salt
Socks
Lighters
Flashlights
Batteries
Backpacks
Matches
Cordage
Duct Tape
Candles
Cotton Balls
Soap
Vaseline
Toothpaste
Tooth Brushes
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Bleach
Tarps
First Aid supplies
Multitools

@Morgan101, my guess is the bleach is intended to be used to purify water?

I would figure out a way to add water containers to my top 20. Clean drinking water needs to be stored for use. Fortunately for me I have access to abundant and clean drinking water, but I need to be able to haul it from its source and be able to hold it until used.

Water I can do, I have the diverters and barrels for rainwater on hand. Todds fork creek is 221 yards away, if I have too. I stock chlorine tablets for gross disinfection, and micropore filters for potable use after disinfection.

Kinda still thinking about cotton balls, why?

I made a spreadsheet. I added first aid supply details. I don't want to post mine since Morgan has posted this list, unless someone wants a spreadsheet list.
Somewhere here was a first aid supply thread, I know I posted a list of what's in mine. I'll see if I can find it, but it's been a while, and my migraine is KILLING me

OOPS, my list and pictures were hosted on a deleted smugmug account.

I'll see what I can do in a few days, do not hold your breath, life keeps getting in the way, :(

Find a nice list, take it to heart, and make your own. NOBODY is coming, it's up to us.

I really expect to catch some 💩when Lori finds the 25 lbs of salt destined for the He shed :). She has no idea of what will be coming
:p

Sheesh. You ain't done nothing yet. I have 600 lbs of salt. SHTF better happen before I die or my kids will be dealing with their own version.

I would agree with salt, socks + undies but a lot of that other stuff holds no attraction to me. My version of vaseline is 25 lbs of bag balm for medicinal purposes and milking cows.

I think maybe they are supposed to go with the Vasoline? The combo makes a decent, waterproof, fire starter if done correctly.

I was wondering the utility of cotton balls. For fire starting, nature provides for this already. Potentially for applying antibiotic ointments, but first aid supplies are already listed. That was a throwaway for me.

Water I can do, I have the diverters and barrels for rainwater on hand. Todds fork creek is 221 yards away, if I have too. I stock chlorine tablets for gross disinfection, and micropore filters for potable use after disinfection.

I've been saving cotton balls for years. About a year ago the vet gave me medicine for my dogs ear. I went through a ton of cotton balls then. Fire starters, along with Vaseline, which can be substituted by bag balm or other petroleum based salve.

I really expect to catch some 💩when Lori finds the 25 lbs of salt destined for the He shed :). She has no idea of what will be coming
:p

She aint seen nothin yet :).
My wife hasn't asked me about the 50 pound bag of Zeosand I picked up to build a water filter. She found it in the garage, and just moved it...didn't say anything. I do wonder what she is thinking. Probably something like, "Patience Lord...let me have patience with my husband." :p

My wife hasn't asked me about the 50 pound bag of Zeosand I picked up to build a water filter. She found it in the garage, and just moved it...didn't say anything. I do wonder what she is thinking. Probably something like, "Patience Lord...let me have patience with my husband." :p
I'd be willing to bet that you had t.p. when many others didn't. The spouse who is opposed to preps doesn't really understand the bigger picture.

What do you do with all that salt? Do you have it as salt licks for livestock possibly?
Preservative.

@Morgan101, my guess is the bleach is intended to be used to purify water?

I would figure out a way to add water containers to my top 20. Clean drinking water needs to be stored for use. Fortunately for me I have access to abundant and clean drinking water, but I need to be able to haul it from its source and be able to hold it until used.

That would be my guess as well, water purification. I never thought of this as a top 20 list. I thought of it more as a "things you should have that are often overlooked" list. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt that the essentials, even for a newbie prepper, are already covered.

Water is certainly critical to survival. Acquiring it, storing it, purifying it, you cannot live without it. The only thing I would put above that would be shelter.

I'd be willing to bet that you had t.p. when many others didn't. The spouse who is opposed to preps doesn't really understand the bigger picture.
I did get some credit when I bought masks, hand sanitizer and sanitizing cleaning solutions about a month or so before covid hit the US. I'd been watching the news in China, and I thought, "Hmmmm." So, I ordered a bunch of surgical and N-95 masks, and the other stuff.

When masks were in very short supply, and everyone was scrambling to get them, I did get a bit of acknowledgement from my wife for the fact that I was paying attention before anyone else was.

Salt
Socks
Lighters
Flashlights
Batteries
Backpacks
Matches
Cordage
Duct Tape
Candles
Cotton Balls
Soap
Vaseline
Toothpaste
Tooth Brushes
Hand Sanitizer
Toilet Paper
Bleach
Tarps
First Aid supplies
Multitools
GAAAA! That's only 21 items!! Now I have to watch the flippin' video to find out what the last one is. (Not a big heartache, since I was gonna watch it anyway.)

GAAAA! That's only 21 items!! Now I have to watch the flippin' video to find out what the last one is. (Not a big heartache, since I was gonna watch it anyway.)

Sorry. I thought I counted correctly. The item I omitted was Plastic Bags.

Soaked in Vaseline or hand sanitizer (or gasoline, for that matter) they ignite easily and burn for a while.

Personally, I prefer toilet paper rolls stuffed with dryer lint and soaked in melted wax. Those puppies will burn for a while - great fire starters and made from stuff that might otherwise be thrown out.

Sorry. I thought I counted correctly. The item I omitted was Plastic Bags.
And propane. That's TWO things. This is starting to smell like a conspiracy. 🤪

The great thing about a list like this is it gets your brain working and you can easily double the list without too much effort. Thanks for posting this!

(And yeah, I already store this stuff. But it's a good to get new ideas and also be reminded of things to stock back up on.)

Back