• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

50 Acre Homestead Site in South Dakota

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Muenster

Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here's a great opportunity to build your dream homestead in the country! Four parcels of land in Clay County South Dakota will be sold at auction on Monday, December 4th, 2023. South Dakota is friendly to homesteading and has NO INCOME TAX! The parcels range in size from 8.76 acres to 13.53 acres. Buy one or buy 'em all to have a 50 acre parcel! The property is 3/4 of mile off the Missouri River and just minutes from Vermillion, SD. It's only 50 minutes to Sioux Falls and 30 minutes to Sioux City. For more details, visit 49.34 +/- Acre Development Land - Clay County, SD | Pifer's

Attachments

• cid:51897D8E-2C0B-42F9-825B-1067C21D1CA9_page_1.jpeg
    cid:51897D8E-2C0B-42F9-825B-1067C21D1CA9_page_1.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Image 3.jpeg
    Image 3.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 4.jpeg
    Image 4.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 2.jpeg
    Image 2.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
My auctioneer mentioned he received a phone call from someone looking for a homestead site. I am not sure if it is someone from this community but I hope the property goes to someone looking to build a homestead since that was my plan for the property. If a member of this forum ends up buying one or all of the parcels, then I will donate a portion of the proceeds to the forum.

I am working to build my next homestead on a property in TN that I recently acquired. Thank you for all the expertise of the members on this site.

The auction for Cottonwood Farm in Burbank, SD when well yesterday. All four parcels sold for a price of between $9k and $13k per acre. There were three buyers with Parcels 1 & 2 going to the same person. I am not quite sure what they plan to do with the property but I hope they will consider homestead sites.

I will use the proceeds from the sale to continue the improvements at my Tennessee homestead site.

I'm a South Dakota native and was interested in your post. I have never really been around Vermillion or that area.
It is crazy how much land is going for, but this is East River, fairly close to the Missouri and good farmland. My grandparents had land West River, which was clay, not very good farmland. Other grandparents had land East River, but about 50 miles from Pierre. They did not do well, because they were trying to farm during the 1930's. Both sets of grandparents struggled to feed their families.

Land prices everywhere seem to be climbing. As everyone in this community knows, the interest in homesteads is at an all time high. It seems to be an indication of the belief by many that our country is headed in the wrong direction. A homestead offers self reliance that will be invaluable if things go wrong. Homestead living also offers a simpler, higher quality life in my view. Hope you are able to find the right spot Weedygarden.

Land prices everywhere seem to be climbing. As everyone in this community knows, the interest in homesteads is at an all time high. It seems to be an indication of the belief by many that our country is headed in the wrong direction. A homestead offers self reliance that will be invaluable if things go wrong. Homestead living also offers a simpler, higher quality life in my view. Hope you are able to find the right spot Weedygarden.
Thank you. I would love to find some land near a water source or with a well, and with land that is able to grow food. I have been looking at land for sale for a long time. I have often thought that I should get in my car and drive around over weekends. I have thought of the southern Black Hills, anywhere in South Dakota, preferably west where it is less populated, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado.

I have considered New Mexico and Arizona, but it is too arid and the soil is not so good for growing food in many parts. There is a concern about water.

Here's a great opportunity to build your dream homestead in the country! Four parcels of land in Clay County South Dakota will be sold at auction on Monday, December 4th, 2023. South Dakota is friendly to homesteading and has NO INCOME TAX! The parcels range in size from 8.76 acres to 13.53 acres. Buy one or buy 'em all to have a 50 acre parcel! The property is 3/4 of mile off the Missouri River and just minutes from Vermillion, SD. It's only 50 minutes to Sioux Falls and 30 minutes to Sioux City. For more details, visit 49.34 +/- Acre Development Land - Clay County, SD | Pifer's
Was this your property? If so, do you prefer TN over SD?

Was this your property? If so, do you prefer TN over SD?
RTT.
...to build a homestead since that was my plan for the property. If a member of this forum ends up buying one or all of the parcels, then I will donate a portion of the proceeds to the forum.

I am working to build my next homestead on a property in TN that I recently acquired. Thank you for all the expertise of the members on this site.

Weedygarden- you might want to take a look at ‘Earthship’ homes. They can be build in most any climate and they are designed with a greenhouse for food production and rainwater catchment system to supply water. Just do a search for ’earthship’ and you can find all kinds of information. I am considering using earthship principles in the design of my next cabin.

Lilmissy- yes, I sold the site I was considering for a homestead in SD and bought a property in TN. My wife is from TN and she wanted to be closer to her family after living in SD for over a decade. SD is my home state and I will always miss it. However, Tennessee is wonderful and of course there are wonderful people wherever you go. I will not miss the bitter cold winters of SD. 😉

Weedygarden- you might want to take a look at ‘Earthship’ homes. They can be build in most any climate and they are designed with a greenhouse for food production and rainwater catchment system to supply water. Just do a search for ’earthship’ and you can find all kinds of information. I am considering using earthship principles in the design of my next cabin.

Lilmissy- yes, I sold the site I was considering for a homestead in SD and bought a property in TN. My wife is from TN and she wanted to be closer to her family after living in SD for over a decade. SD is my home state and I will always miss it. However, Tennessee is wonderful and of course there are wonderful people wherever you go. I will not miss the bitter cold winters of SD. 😉
I am always looking at videos of alternative homes including Earthships, earth bag building, yurts, log cabins, A frames (a member here has told us about how difficult it is to keep them heated and cooled), shed conversions and other alternative homes.

People are as limited by their imagination as anything. Some skill and ability to work hard helps. Earth bags are being used more and more in the Southwest. My gg grandparents built and lived in a sod home in Nebraska, and a set of g grandparents built and lived in one in S.D.

We also live in a time that we do not want to go backward to those kinds of homes, but we may be forced to, or die instead one day. I know people who would rather die, or so they told me. I believe them!

A great aunt homesteaded in Mellette County and had a shack built to meet the requirements of her getting her homestead. It was common for those homestead shacks to be 12 foot by 12 foot, at least in the beginning. She had the field work done by a neighbor who plowed and planted, with him getting a share of the crop. She worked for people in her area doing house work and others.

Another great aunt homesteaded in Hyde County. She was a teacher in addition to her homestead.

A great aunt homesteaded in Mellette County and had a shack built to meet the requirements of her getting her homestead. It was common for those homestead shacks to be 12 foot by 12 foot, at least in the beginning. …

Another great aunt homesteaded in Hyde County. She was a teacher in addition to her homestead.
I am inspired by early homesteaders who built lives in places like South Dakota. The winters are harsh and summers hot. The grit and determination of these settlers is not found in many people today.

Weedygarden, by all means take a drive around and see what is out there. We did that when we moved from eastern washington state out to montana, Liked the people and so we up and moved. Then our last relocation here in montana we were looking and talking to realators with out any luck so we started taking drives and found a for sale by owner. It wasn't listed anywhere else besides a tiny sign on the front fence.
As far as alternative building types it sounds nice just be in a county that alows it and don't plan on selling it to someone who has to get conventional financing.
We love living in four season montana with the upper missouri a few miles away and a solar pumpable well. Our chickens are helping make some dirt that will grow things.
The cold winter kills the pests and keeps some of the freeloaders away.
The high temp yesterday was 61.

Weedygarden, by all means take a drive around and see what is out there. We did that when we moved from eastern washington state out to montana, Liked the people and so we up and moved. Then our last relocation here in montana we were looking and talking to realators with out any luck so we started taking drives and found a for sale by owner. It wasn't listed anywhere else besides a tiny sign on the front fence.
As far as alternative building types it sounds nice just be in a county that alows it and don't plan on selling it to someone who has to get conventional financing.
We love living in four season montana with the upper missouri a few miles away and a solar pumpable well. Our chickens are helping make some dirt that will grow things.
The cold winter kills the pests and keeps some of the freeloaders away.
The high temp yesterday was 61.
I have had a plan to do this, drive around. I have been so, so busy this year. I have spent more time away from home than I have at home for many months now. I'm not complaining! Housesitting always includes weekends. I had a weekend off recently, but the weather reports weren't good. It is good for me to have some time at home sometimes to do yardwork and chores.

I have a dog coming tomorrow who will be with me for 10/11 days and her friend will come spend a couple nights with her so they can have time together. Then in a few days, I begin another housesitting job! The days are just packed.

House sitters and dog sitters are in short supply around here. One friend even does a house share for no money to a single lady that does occasional housework. Pretty good when a apartment goes for $1000 a month.
There are people who make a living doing this work. It is a supplement to my retirement. It's good money, but it would be difficult to live off of it.

I wasn't impressed with the glass bottles inbedded in the walls for "windows". The bottom of the wine bottles used that went to the outside walls sometimes were broken. That'd be a pain to fix without taking the wall out. And the places I toured in Taos, their Earthship community, had a "cute" little inside room area for an "indoor type" greenhouse. But not much space to grow anything in it. No one there had anything going on outside at all. Looked like the residents spent most of their time inside. That'd drive me nuts. What I did like, though, was the tubing system in the walls that promoted cooling, like natural AC. The Taos ones were horribly overpriced for what they were. Would rather have a log cabin.

I wasn't impressed with the glass bottles inbedded in the walls for "windows". The bottom of the wine bottles used that went to the outside walls sometimes were broken. That'd be a pain to fix without taking the wall out. And the places I toured in Taos, their Earthship community, had a "cute" little inside room area for an "indoor type" greenhouse. But not much space to grow anything in it. No one there had anything going on outside at all. Looked like the residents spent most of their time inside. That'd drive me nuts. What I did like, though, was the tubing system in the walls that promoted cooling, like natural AC. The Taos ones were horribly overpriced for what they were. Would rather have a log cabin.
Although I've been to Taos a few times, I've never seen an earth ship. People use glass bottles when they build earth bag homes as well. They allow light in while maintaining privacy.

There are lots of interesting building techniques and styles- straw bale; earth bag; rammed earth; earthship; slipform stone; SIP’s; post frame; log; etc. I have studied most of them and each has advantages and disadvantages. A gentleman named Noah Bradley has a “Hand Made House” online academy where he teaches traditional building techniques. Noah is a great guy. The lessons are excellent and he is an expert in building things the right way. A properly built log home will last for centuries. Check it out at Welcome to Handmade Houses! - Handmade Houses with Noah Bradley

Better to build something to live in this month than wait for years to do the perfect setup...I am seeing a steep increase in people suddenly aware that things are not right and they should be doing something to ensure their survival. Unfortunately for the unprepared it looks like the party is going to start in dec.

Latest posts

Back