7 Day Preparedness Challenge 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I call quits on this one. I should just post under rant of the day. I am not the class clown in charge of entertaining everyone. ( the people along for the ride). Honestly though, I cannot think of anyone who would be in my car that couldn't do any of the above exercises.

And no, I won't be locking the keys in the car and do not admit to any lock picking skills. I have been changing tires since I was knee high to an axle.

Rant over.

Back when I started doing these challenges I really liked them because I could clearly see the holes in our preps. Now I am beginning to see how 'citified' these are!

This will give you an indication as to the level of redneck - as measured in another thread. But. . . .
In our family, when we got a flat one person timed the other person to see how fast they could change it. 😂 To be fair we took turns: dirt/shale road wasn't uncommon to carry 2 spares out there.

You want a challenge? We were the last in a line of six vehicles. driving from Cairo to Sharm El Sheik to go diving. We made the mistake of letting a garage check the tire pressure, among other things, for the trip and failed to double check ourselves. Big prep fail right there.

Low and behold We are trying to keep all the speed demons in front of us in sight when the front tire blew to smithereens. We were out of range of the walky talkies in front before we even got control and off the road. It was so hot out the pavement was flowing.

So, out with the jack, but it was sinking. I went out to the side of the road a ways to find some flat rocks to set the jack on. Pretty soon I hear a bunch of yelling. The yelling got louder.

Translation: do not ever leave the road because there are still mines out there from the six day war. Well 💩 .

I did the math and decided that since it was a long time since the war and I most likely wasn't the first idiot or camel to walk the outer edges of the road since said war, I might as well collect my rocks before making my way back.

I guess I was the entertainment that day.

Last edited:
DAY 7

DAY 7: Bed Rest

YOU HAD A MAJOR SURGERY AND WERE PLACED ON BED REST. You can start this task at any point today depending on how ambitious you want to be. You will need to make sure you family has rides, is fed, and entertained all while you get to remain in bed (if you are married you can fight over who is the one on bed rest or you can both be and have your kids fend for themselves)

Daily Tasks and Limitations
Today’s Tasks:

• Plan an easy dinner that your children (or non-cooking spouse) can make tonight– no cooking it in advance
    My meal-in-a-jar recipes are a great option!
  • Find rides for your kids to school and other activities.
  • See if you can work from home today (if not, you can start this challenge after work)
  • Take care of your kids/spouse for the evening, all from your bed
  • While you are on bed rest, fill out this questionnaire about the 7 day challenge so I can improve on it for next year
  • CELEBRATE!!! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for all you accomplished and learned this week.
Today’s Limitations:

• For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
  • Once you “start” your bed rest, you cannot leave the bed except to go to the bathroom (can we say MOVIE NIGHT?)
  • No cooking dinner or getting take-out (all your dreams are coming true)
Advanced Tasks:

• Make a list of “easy meals” that your family could make without your help. Add the ingredients to them to your shopping list so you can put some kits together for future “emergencies”. Your family will thank you!

I only posted the last day because it was the last day.

But to be honest that is a massive cop out! Eve when I had surgery I was on my feet as soon as I was home caring for my family.

Ditto.

This isn't prepping. It's housewife/soccer mom 101 from the sixties. I would have to be pretty much dead to spend a day in bed and my hubby and kids could fend for themselves just fine and I wouldn't have needed to be laid out flat on my back, for that to happen.

Last edited:
@Grimm I know I just laughed, but I do appreciate you posting these. It's actually good reinforcement that we are on the right track and evidently ahead of the game when compare to some folks. Also, it prompts the question, "What would a 'real prepper' laugh at me for?" I'm not sure any of us are 100% ready in every area.

Agree there. When husband and I had covid last December and were very sick, food still had to be made, laundry still had to be done, animals still had to be fed. It was cold, so the wood burner had to be fed. Best I did was to do the things then sit and rest in the recliner in the family room. Same thing a few weeks ago when I had pneumonia. It's bad for your health to stay in bed all day anyway.
I don't like to do the "live off your preps for a month" bit either, because I'm constantly adding and using our preps. I wouldn't just stop and use stuff up. Stack it to the rafters!

Agree there. When husband and I had covid last December and were very sick, food still had to be made, laundry still had to be done, animals still had to be fed. It was cold, so the wood burner had to be fed. Best I did was to do the things then sit and rest in the recliner in the family room. Same thing a few weeks ago when I had pneumonia. It's bad for your health to stay in bed all day anyway.
I don't like to do the "live off your preps for a month" bit either, because I'm constantly adding and using our preps. I wouldn't just stop and use stuff up. Stack it to the rafters!

Re: bed all day

I would like to test that theory

Ben

Ha. You of all people could not.
Besides, it's bad for you. You'd have to take blood thinners if you made a habit of it so you wouldn't get clots from just laying there.
Use it or lose it.
I wouldn't be strong enough to endure the look The Princess would give me if even attempted that. :rolleyes:
Ben

It is that time of year again where I take the 7 Day Challenge. Join me or use this thread to help find and fill holes in your own preparedness preps.
I live like this anyway. do I win?

Latest posts

Back