A Basset Hound Verses A Maine Coon Cat....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quark

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So, not that I can have pets, would you prefer a Basset Hound or a Maine Coon Cat. I like both but I think I'd want a Maine Coon Cat. These cats are big, have a dog personality, and can be taken for a walk like a dog. These cats also do well in cold weather and snow. So what do you think which one would you chose if you could have a pet.

I had a Maine Coon once, while she only got up to about ten pounds, but she had a hobby of taking apart dogs at the seams, I could tell you some stories about her picking on pit-bulls.

Maine Coon, they’re so distinctive looking. We have a cat that might be part Norwegian Forest Cat, used to think she was part Maine Coon, and could be…but they’re so big.
Whereas basset hounds end up with health problems specific to their breed when older, I thought. They are really good natured though, aren’t they?
We have a dog that barks a lot, a shepherding breed.

The only dogs I ever had, that were useful but one, were actually wolves.
I don't need an adoring slave, I need a partner. you should see a timber shepherd hunt!
You'll have more game than you can legally kill, and when it comes to security, they will
die for you without a moment's care!

BUT, as my life is, I got to go with a cat. I miss old Ma' wildcat. I still hear her ever once in a while.

I always had cats they were from the start feral cats..
they weirdly did adopted me lol
Now they live with me 24 of them

As for dog ..I always had large breed type like Great Danes

Rottweiler once from someone that was going in Jail

Mini Schnauzer someone/******* wanted to *RID *of it
(I say it the way shitface ******* said it to me:
***I will tie it in woods if nobody dont wants it***
So I said give it to me ...and he said *Do what you want with it*
:oops::mad: So I took the little dirty dog..
the little dog was happy when I took the leash was jumping so I did pick it up

After a nice bath I realized the dog was a girl and was grey and white
the little old dog was 9 years old
I did trim it and it happen to be a Mini Schnauzer

I did give her the name : MiniMiss :)
She lived until 14 years old / died heart attack
She is buried at my place R.I.P. Mini Miss

Not a cat person... at all. BUT, if I were going to deliberately get a cat, it would be a Main Coon.

Okay if I ever get a pet it'll be a Maine Coon Cat. My youngest foster daughter has a massive cat that's not fat at all but it's a rescue cat so we don't know what is in the cat but I think it must have some Maine Coon Cat in her (the cat that is not the daughter) or some Norwegian Forest Cat.

Okay if I ever get a pet it'll be a Maine Coon Cat. My youngest foster daughter has a massive cat that's not fat at all but it's a rescue cat so we don't know what is in the cat but I think it must have some Maine Coon Cat in her (the cat that is not the daughter) or some Norwegian Forest Cat.
1715125121997.png

I wouldn’t want either one but if those were my only two options, I’d go with the cat. Bassets are notorious for ear infections and leg problems and typically have an awful odor to them. Maine coons are just mean. So guess I prefer mean over smelly and unhealthy 😂

You know a good well bred Maine Coon Cats cost between $1,000 and $3,000 per cat. Think that is good value?
“Well bred” is the key phrase there. Are you planning on letting it breed? If not, (my opinion) I would opt for “pet quality” fixed and unpapered. I will just share this is coming from someone who has never paid for a cat. I sorta believe that even critters have to earn their keep in some respect. One other thought is if there is a Maine coon rescue that perhaps a purebred met a traveling salesman and the litter is only half but would still have the characteristics that you desire. If you are looking for breeding quality, then it’s a matter of investment and what you are willing and able to invest in a pet.

“Well bred” is the key phrase there. Are you planning on letting it breed? If not, (my opinion) I would opt for “pet quality” fixed and unpapered. I will just share this is coming from someone who has never paid for a cat. I sorta believe that even critters have to earn their keep in some respect. One other thought is if there is a Maine coon rescue that perhaps a purebred met a traveling salesman and the litter is only half but would still have the characteristics that you desire. If you are looking for breeding quality, then it’s a matter of investment and what you are willing and able to invest in a pet.
I can't have pets where I live and at my age it's not good thing to have a pet. I was just speculating and the answers have been interesting.

I like big dogs but… at my age. If I were to get a small house pet.. it’d be a yappy little chihuahua. Something to drive off annoying guests. 🤣
I can vouch for their effectiveness....
They have me hauling tail real quick. :oops:

Back