A curious mind

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
20240217_164523.jpg

Found some old handwritten recipes in the family archives for a liniment. One of the ingredients was laudanum.

That brought me to the following book. I found it a fascinating read. I love history.

View attachment 124713

Found some old handwritten recipes in the family archives for a liniment. One of the ingredients was laudanum.

That brought me to the following book. I found it a fascinating read. I love history.
Are the recipes something you would consider sharing? I also love history. In one of my “household management” books from the 1800’s it calls for opium as a treatment- can’t remember the ailment but the treatment sure surprised me.

Are the recipes something you would consider sharing? I also love history. In one of my “household management” books from the 1800’s it calls for opium as a treatment- can’t remember the ailment but the treatment sure surprised me.
I can. The recipes had to be photographed then editor lightened and darker to be able to read them clearly. I think 8 saved the in y photos. If not I'll photograph them again

Those are treasures! Boy that last one - turpentine, alcohol and chloroform - wondering what they did with that 😳
ETA - thank you for letting me be a pest, but that is just so cool 😎
Turpentine was used in balms for sores. Old timers swore by it. Not sure what the posted recipe was for. With alcohol in it, it still could be for sores.

Wyatt Earp's second common-law wife, Mattie Blaylock, was addicted to laudanum. I guess she started using due to severe headaches, but it did not end well. She O'Ded at 38 years old.

The laudenum crisis pales in comparison to the opiate crisis of today, in my opinion. I thought there was some talk that edger allen.poe was a user of laidenum too.

Edgar Allan Poe had used laudanum probably as a pain killer, which was common at the time, but it seems his vice of choice was alcohol.

Latest posts

Back