A new friend

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So a few months ago I did what I do. Took a chance n send an invite to go out to our cabin to Jordan Jonnas from the tv show alone. He harvested a moose with an arrow. My beautiful wife wants me to go out with someone instead of myself for moose hunting. I kinda liked this guy n looked him up. And he wrote about how he was inspired by his father who lived a life in pain. Kinda touched me. So I sent him an invite and he accepted.
Him and a best friend were able to come up for a while n go moose bear n wolf hunting. After a week of scouting the area. From before the sun came up till after dark. In pouring rain record flooding. He did get the opportunity to get a shot off. I was out on the deck doing call n heard the shot. Hour before dark. He busted through an alder patch and there was a mid fiddy bull looking at him. He could see head n hump. Tall grasses. He waited a bit n went looking. No blood or hair. His buddy joined the search n so did my buddy. The bears had the area trampled a lot so no real trails. Jordan hurt bad. It happens to the best of us. He shot his rifle and found that the scope had taken a hit n knocked off the sights. He bore scoped it at the cabin but is in real tough conditions. The next day he n 2 more went out to find the moose with no luck. I suspect it swam across the over 8' deep raging creek that is usually 2-4' deep. There were salmon swimming in the tioga wet areas.
The plane out was going to be at the landing lake at 5 pm. I closed up camp while they looked for moose. As long as they could. They tried their best and I can assure that it is top notch. Mostly I'm impressed with Jordan because he took an even bigger chance. And I believe that we will be friends for a long time. And so will his buddy. They both know where the key is and welcome to bring their families.
This is the nice things that can happen in life for me and I feel very blessed.
Jordan found like 7 different types of mushrooms and they were both able to bring home a couple pounds of chaga. His friend found a nice antler drop. I had fun and made fresh chaga bread and have chaga tea on the stove. I kinda like a hot tea with Tang orange drink in front of the fire before bed.
Hey pretty cool huh. I had a great time
20230905_094441.jpg
20230905_143915.jpg
20230905_155945.jpg
302CA014-1DCA-48C3-8E2C-ECEFED273056.jpeg
77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg

Attachments

• 20210317_114745.jpg
    20210317_114745.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Cool story! Too bad they didn’t get the moose. I know the conditions were tough while you were out with all the rain. As soon as the season ended the weather turned perfect.

The rain’s definitely made the mushrooms grow making the wife very happy. Tell me about chaga bread. While I consume plenty of chaga tea, I’ve not had or heard of bread.

3 cups of bread flour. Package of yeast. Bit of salt. Mix add 1-1/3 cup or so of chaga tee about 130 degrees. Let sit n rise in a tightly covered bowl a couple hours near the stove. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on counter n dust with flour. Pour dough on to paper n put into a 450 degree oven or pick up the paper with dough in it n place it in a bread pan if you have a loaf shape. Cover the first 30 minutes with foil and uncover for another 15 minutes. Or don't cover n have a crunchy crust. I like the rub butter on the crust after it's done cooking n still warm to flavor the crust.
My beautiful wife had baggies with premixed flour just add water and dry yeast to the mix.
For folks that have worked very hard out in bad weather hunting. Seeing the porch light on in front deck of the cabin and then coming in to have fresh bread smells and a hot meal was welcomed and appreciated. I had a great time hanging out around the cabin fixing things and doing calls from the deck. Or sitting on mom's pond. Which now has northern pike in it. First time I've seen them and caught a couple. They are an invasive species that is devastating the salmon fry. Some creeks now do not get salmon back. Bad bad thing for the salmon but I grew up in northern WI and learned to love to catch pike. So nice and have a pond in front that has fresh fish in it. And they can bite aggressively so good for the kids to catch. There's a win in everything
Yeah I had a great time and met a couple great guys and got to get together with a fresh friend from the past. Perfect recipe for a guy to feel better. About life and for me there is a bigger connection that just makes me feel good. And I now feel better than I have in years so I'm pretty happy. Most blessed man in the world

Which now has northern pike in it. First time I've seen them and caught a couple. They are an invasive species that is devastating the salmon fry.
Northern pike are sought after for catching and eating. Too bad they are invasive and devastating the salmon.

Did you or someone in your family build the cabin?

What happened to the door knob? Did someone try to break in?

Bears open doors?! 0_0
I did NOT need to know this, or maybe I did!
*Loads shotgun with cast copper slugs!*
I have Arkoudaphobia. fear of bears!

Yeppers a bear reached above the bear boards and tried to open the door. Yes we built the cabin. We staked 20 acres of remote cabin land. And over 20 years of work and a few bucks. A lot of time on a snogo freighting tens of thousands of pounds of supplies. Setting up a system for year round travel using a great pilot that is another long time Alaskan bush pilot sightseeing pilot. There is a lake 2 miles south of the cabin that he can land on. I have a 3,4 n 6 wheeler at the cabin and a coleman canoe I use for a freight sled in the summer across the tioga. Beautiful wife can not walk much and we are getting oller.
BTW if anyone comes to ak and wants to go look at bears n mountains or other folks needing freight hauled where only bush planes can go. Dave Hicks owns n operates N2Alaska air. Out of Talkeetna. You can look him up. I can personally vouch for the guy. I've been out with a few pilots in my time. Dave sticks out as a guy who follows ol school rules. Knows how to read the land and not just instruments kinda guy and at a great price in a nice clean plane. Even has bubble windows for long camera lenses. And seeing ak by the air is the best of the best of ways.
We freighted out a freezer/refrigerator mini unit and a new 2500w duel fuel generator. 100 gallons of gasoline with snogos so we now have refrigeration. And I got an air conditioner installed on the insulated generator shed to double as a walk in cooler. Easier to deal with harvesting a moose for sure. And just nice to fire up the generator at night and freeze everything down for another 24 hours. And I can sit back in the lazy boy with a hot pad on my back. Watch the fire, enjoy life. Look back at our accomplishments. Building a log cabin in remote ak is not easy. And once you pull the trigger you can't look back. And it will be 10 times harder n more expensive than we thought but worth everything. And I tried to build it comfortable. In door incinerator toilet and hot shower. I have a sand point well started and then I will have potable water at the kitchen faucet. Just go get a drink. And I have 200 TnG pine boards to install upstairs on the cieling. Want to put a couple coats of topcoat on before I install them. And had enough plywood n 2x4s to get a good atv parking spot. Hopefully keep the bears off. It is something that you better want to do
I only wish more folks had the opportunity that I have. Just get out and especially with just me n family. I know it has a healing power to it that reaches where no drugs can go.
Hey too cool huh. Just like who gets to be so blessed. I have a broken up body but had a ball getting here. And now I have another couple new friends to share my dream with. So hopefully Jordan and his buddy can bring their families and make memories. And I can have the opportunity to hang out with Jordan a little bit again. Yeah man living the dream

Latest posts

Back