Acupuncture

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterspark

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I recently had my first ever acupuncture session and I would say the experience was generally positive. I don't have expectations of immediate results-I know they will take time. I also don't have expectations of being cured, I just want to manage/mitigate the discomfort of carpal tunnel issues. So far I have seen some relief and I will continue with treatment.
My question for y'all is what do you think of acupuncture and what has been your experience been like?
Have you experienced any other effects of the treatment beyond relief of the target area of the body?
I'm trying to keep an open mind about this.

My Dad had some serious back issues which eventually lead to surgery. But for many years he managed the pain and discomfort at an acupuncturist. He was hesitant at first but speaks highly of them now.

I’ve had acupuncture before. Usually goes hand in hand with diet change and herbs.
The last guy that did it unfortunately messed me up pretty bad because he didn’t know how to treat my condition but never acknowledge it. Thankfully mom is a doctor in oriental medicine and when I told her what was going on she had me stop immediately. It was a very good thing she did.
There are fantastic and sometimes shockingly good results for all kinds of issues with acupuncture. I was not a believer even when mom went to school for it but I am now.
I’ve had a lot of specific nerve pain go away and never come back.
However! The last guy did push some sort of “button” while he was poking around. Lol! It’s a funny one though. I walked out after one appointment and was craving oranges like a addict. Like if I didn’t get oranges now I would die. I never really was a orange eater before that. I ate them but never specifically wanted an orange.
It took years for the craving to go away. I would eat orange after orange. Couldn’t get enough of them. Orange juice didn’t do. Had to be actual oranges.
Was a pretty funny thing to have happen and it really wasn’t a big deal because oranges are so yummy and healthy but to this day I can’t figure it out.
I often ask mom to press the button again. If only she wasn’t so far away.

I pulled a muscle in my back and could hardly move.
Went to an acupuncturist and he fixed me up immediately.
He put a needle in the muscle that was pulled then hooked a wire to that.
Then ran a probe around my ear till his machine started beeping.
He said there was an electrical connection made from those 2 places.
He turned on the machine and ran a small pulsating electrical charge between the 2 points .
The muscle started to contract and relax really fast and after a minute the muscle relaxed and that was the end of my pain.
Wish I still lived close to that guy.

@masterspark I used to have back issues and still do but have built up the muscles around the damaged area and rarely have pain now.

On to my experience with an acupuncturist which was not good at all. I went in there he stuck all the needles in my back put the electric pulses through them and everyone's worst nightmare is they couldn't get any of them out :eyeballs: . I was there for 2 hours with them trying to get the needles out of me, with the guy muttering that he may have to call an ambulance to come and pick me up to get them taken out in hospital. Anyway after relaxing for just over 2 hours they managed to get the needles out, needless to say it was a free consultation. Apparently people with good immune systems their immune systems can attack the needles and literally hold them in there.

Needless to say I don't personally recommend it, but however this could just be my immune system too.

@masterspark I used to have back issues and still do but have built up the muscles around the damaged area and rarely have pain now.

On to my experience with an acupuncturist which was not good at all. I went in there he stuck all the needles in my back put the electric pulses through them
That's scary! I didn't know they did that. My session was very traditional with many tiny needles, meditative music, and a quiet room. 4 days later and I still have some relief and improved range of motion. I'm going back tomorrow.

Why is it always me that has problems :( .

@masterspark I also used to have carpal tunnel due to the work I used to do. After the acupuncturist incident I sort the help of a sports injury therapist (he dealt with the football teams), i.e massage with chiropractic work and bingo it went away after about 3 treatments and strapping of shoulders etc. A lot of pain in the wrists can indeed be caused through your back being out as the pain radiates down the arms and into the hands.

So if the acupuncturist does not work this is an alternative therapy you can look at as well.

When I was studying Tae Kwon Do and Ti Chi the Grandmaster used acupuncture on my ankle when I twisted it and then started having plantar fascia. I will say like any faith healing technique it is based upon your belief that it is or will work. There is NO proof that stimulating a nerve will result in improved Ki flow or unblock any such flow of energy in your body, which is what it is supposed to do. That said there is medical evidence to suggest that stretching, practiced breathing and physical exertion do improve health and mental well being (but then sex is supposed to do that also). LOL

@Sewingcreations15, I have had the carpal surgery on my right hand this past spring and was rather surprised at the length of time for recovery. I have had the EMG test on both hands confirming the carpal and that there is nerve damage. I will probably have the surgery on the left hand next October if I can put it off that long. There are just too many things happening in the next 9 months for me to be out of commission unless I am forced to. I have had my lifetime limit of cortisone in that wrist and the Dr. doesn't see therapy as helping. So I am going the alternative route.

Back