Add These Items To Your Survival Kit For Winter Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kit/survival-kit-for-winter/

Add These Items To Your Survival Kit For Winter Preparedness
by Ken Jorgustin | Updated Nov 18, 2019 | Survival Kit |

winter-survival-kit-items.jpg

It’s cold. It’s dry. I had been working outside for awhile. Later that old familiar feeling of chapped lips hit me. So I had to go look for that tube of relief.

It got me to thinking about the unique items that I add to my survival kit or every-day-carry for winter.

Assuming that you already have other recommended gear and supplies in your kit, here are a few additions to consider for winter.

Lip Balm
One of them is some sort of lip balm. My favorite has been Carmex. I keep it in the truck, my 4-wheeler kit and the one in my snowmobile. And I carry a tube if I’m going through a spell of cold, dry weather working outside.

Hand & Foot Warmers
I don’t like really cold hands or feet! Who does, right? Gloves, hats, and insulated boots are a no-brainer. And typically these are adequate and not a big problem when you’re working, because blood flows readily into the extremities when you’re using them.

But when it gets really, wicked, cold, that’s when it’s time to get some more help! My winter transition involves getting out the box of hand warmers and the other box of foot warmers. I’ll take individually wrapped warmers and add them to my various kits.

My favorite has been “HotHands” (view on amzn) and their toe warmers

(I buy the box of 40, and they last for a number of years)

Goggles
Goggles for the eyes! Let me tell you something… Cold wind will impair your ability to see! Cold dry air/wind on the eyes is painful. And your natural reaction will be to squint or shut your eyes.

I regularly use googles during the winter while snowblowing when it’s windy, extra cold, or snowing a-lot. Fall season and early winter I will wear googles riding my ATV doing trail maintenance.

But for a survival kit, the use-case might be hoofing it home during a snow storm (for whatever reason)? Though arguments can be made for staying put and sheltering for a time (which I won’t get into here).

Sunglasses
They help to an extent (a small extent) like googles during poor conditions. However the big reason for having sunglasses for winter is the blinding snow!

It’s amazing how BRIGHT all that white snow is on your eyes. Sometimes you really have to squint big time in order to reduce the painful light rays! Who wants to be out in that stuff squinting the whole time?!

What about you? Anything unique and particular that you might add to your own “kits” for during the winter months?

I have never been a sunglasses guy. Not sure why just never have. But my snow goggles do we have a slight anti-glare grey tint to them, so I am going to count that.

Plus when you live in the great white North, having Carmex or Chapstick in every drawer, desk, counter, cabinet, purse, and pocket is just a way of life.

I wear photogray prescription glasses with glare-reduction lenses, so sunglasses are out of the equation. And plenty of Carmex and Chapstick year round (it's dang dry here). We also load up on hand warmers every October. But one thing so many people in snow country already know - good, thick wool socks for your kit. Keep your feet warm and dry. Can double as mittens in a pinch. Keep two or three sets so you can rotate when the set you're wearing gets wet.

This is a good list, and well worth reviewing. I too already carry these things routinely. Lip Balm is part of my EDC regimen. I am never without it. I don't use goggles, but I always have sunglasses. I have never had a need for hand and foot warmers. If it is that cold I will double up on gloves; thin cotton pair inside with heavier winter pair on top. I always have extra socks in the car.

I swear by hats and scarves. During the Winter they are always in the car. A scarf will make an incredible difference in keeping you warm.

The additional items they suggest for your vehicle I EDC. Always have them.

Latest posts

Back