Adequate ways to get Proper Nutrition

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We all need to get protein, fat, carbs, vitamins and minerals. The humble potato is one way to get protein, with a little help from dairy or beans. How do you combine foods to get your nutrition.
https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-add-citric-acid-to-castile-soap-12331386.html
Think of your plate as a clock(not digital one, an old fashion one with actual numbers)
If you eat a lot of potatoes like Pear.
You're might be getting too many carbs and not all carbs are good for you either.
That lovely potato has more vitamins in it if you leave the skin on it.
And don't wash it harshly. dirt won't hurt you much, unless it has a lot of pesticides on it.
Back to the clock idea, you eat with your eyes first.
If it looks good, chances are it will taste good too.
Dark leafy vegetables like spinach, kale has lots of good stuff for you... iron, B vitamins.
Carrots is another good vegetable it has a natural sugar that won't spike your sugar unless you eat a boat load of them.
Carrots also have Beta cardoin in the them which is good for eyes, nails.
Proteins, eggs, lean meats etc.
You would be surprised how much food is a 1/4 cup of a vegetable, rice etc.
Variety is spice of life, change up your vegetables, meats
I try an new fresh vegetable every month, same with different meats, different ways to prepare the food helps too.
Food should be fun, tasty, plentiful.
Hope this helps you.
By the way this is what I do for myself.
I love to cook just don't like to do dishes.

Oops! My link sent you to the next page, not the article I wanted. This is the article.

A complete protein contains all nine essential amino acids and perhaps many of the other 13 nonessential amino acids. It was once thought that all the essential amino acids had to be present in the same meal for the body to build the proteins it needs. However, dietitians and other researchers eventually learned that the body is able to draw from an amino acid pool to build proteins. Potatoes are technically a complete protein but are very low in tryptophan, methionine and histadine. Thus, to make a more evenly-balanced and complete protein, you need to combine potatoes with a food high in at least those three amino acids.

Add dairy. Dairy products are already a complete protein, so adding them to potatoes increases the overall amino acid content and ensures complete coverage of the essential amino acids. Use low-fat or skim milk to make mashed potatoes or add some low-fat or fat-free sour cream or cottage cheese to your baked potato.
Add soy. Soybeans are a complete vegetable protein and probably preferable for people who limit or eliminate dairy and other animal products. Tofu, tempeh, soy milk and other dairy products made from soybeans are all suitable complementary proteins for potatoes or any other incomplete protein food.
Add beans. Beans, like red kidney beans, contain higher levels of tryptophan, methionine and histadine than potatoes and help round out your meal to make it a complete protein. Try serving a baked potato with chili piled on top or cutting up potatoes to add to black bean or lentil soup.

People tend to forget we actually need fat. Natural animal fat is good for you and your body can use it as fat, protein or carb. If you eat protein, your body can use it as protein or carbs. If you eat carbs, your body can only use it as a carb or store it as fat for future use. TPTB don’t want us healthy so often promote the reverse.

I never thought of a baked potato with butter and sour cream as a health food before.

I make a chicken stew with barley, corn, and various beans. The beans with a grain, barley and corn, also is a complete protein.

I gained a few pounds last month, so I'm nipping it in the bud! I've done OMAD this entire week to get on top if it. I also use Mo's clock with my plate. I heard (I think it was Mindy Pelz YT channel or book) that you should eat your veges first. It apparently triggers enzymes in the gut to gear up for the food. I was always told to eat veges first to get fiber in the gut first to make you feel full quicker and prevent over eating. Both of those make sense to me, so I try to start a meal with my veges (salad, celery, green beans, broccoli, etc.) I also try to load my plate with 50% veges, 25% protein, and 25% carbs. Then I eat my sweet treat at the end....either fruit or chocolate. That is also suggested b/c it won't spike blood sugar as much since there is already food in the gut that your body has to deal with before you eat your dessert. Typically immediately after dinner, we walk the pups. That is also suggested by Mindy to keep blood sugar spikes to a minimum.

Fortunately, at this point we don't have to worry about getting enough food. However, proper nutrition is a different story. The order in which you eat foods apparently makes a difference too, so that's how I eat.

Latest posts

Back