Adopting Working Dogs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not for the faint of heart or something to do because it sounds cool. They are highly trained and can be dangerous. You need to understand what they were and how to give them a new life. You need to be good with animals.

For many years I was on a list to adopt retired “working dogs”, always from law enforcement. They came to me to live out their days here on the farm. They rarely lasted more than a couple of years. It was after 2001, some had been worked to death.

There is an old dog I still miss. Her name was “Ten”. I got Ten when her owner/handler got cancer. She had a severe case of heartworms. She was 7.

Sort of funny, I named her Ten. She only knew german commands. The german word for no is “Nein”. She had a bumpy start here. She’d spent her life in small kennels and the freedom of a farm was a new experience. Those first few months she caused all sorts of trouble. I got tired of yelling “Nein” at her and one day I shouted “Nein” “Ten”. The name stuck.

I took her to two vets, neither would treat her. Her heart worms were to advanced they said. I tried something unorthodox. Powdered black walnut capsules from a health food store and colloidal silver. I knew what each did individually. It was the best plan I could come up with. 4 months later she was heartworm free. Most large breed dogs rarely make it past 12 years. Ten lived to be 14. For a month I watched her knowing her fierce heart was finally giving out… Finally, the day came, she died licking water from my fingers.

She was the fiercest animal I’ve ever known. She had more heart, drive and intelligence than any working dog I’ve seen before or since, 3 things they are bred for.

She was incredible…

Ten best.jpg

Last edited:
Not for the faint of heart or something to do because it sounds cool. They are highly trained and can be dangerous. You need to understand what they were and how to give them a new life. You need to be good with animals.

For many years I was on a list to adopt retired “working dogs”, always from law enforcement. They came to me to live out their days here on the farm. They rarely lasted more than a couple of years. It was after 2001, some had been worked to death.

There is an old dog I still miss. Her name was “Ten”. I got Ten when her owner/handler got cancer. She had a severe case of heartworms. She was 7.

Sort of funny, I named her Ten. She only knew german commands. The german word for no is “Nein”. She had a bumpy start here. She’d spent her life in small kennels and the freedom of a farm was a new experience. Those first few months she caused all sorts of trouble. I got tired of yelling “Nein” at her and one day I shouted “Nein” “Ten”. The name stuck.

I took her to two vets, neither would treat her. Her heart worms were to advanced they said. I tried something unorthodox. Powdered black walnut capsules from a health food store and colloidal silver. I knew what each did individually. It was the best plan I could come up with. 4 months later she was heartworm free. Most large breed dogs rarely make it past 12 years. Ten lived to be 14. For a month I watched her knowing her fierce heart was finally giving out… Finally, the day came, she died licking water from my fingers.

She was the fiercest animal I’ve ever known. She had more heart, drive and intelligence than any working dog I’ve seen before or since, 3 things they are bred for.

She was incredible…

View attachment 3741

A family has been driving up and down these dirt roads calling for their German Sheppard who just had pups . SO SAD! Daisy Mae is the dogs name.
Pretty dog you have Peanut.
My wonderful old dog just keeps keeping on but barely.

Latest posts

Back