Alaskan Homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlacksideMountain

Friend
Neighbor
Hey everyone, first time here. An old Marine Corps friend and I just recently bought some acreage in Alaska west of Skwentna with river frontage near Caynon Lake. It’s not something I’ve just jumped into but some thing I’ve been looking at doing and researching since before I joined the Marines in 2013 so it’s been a long time coming. Any advice on where to start once I get there? I have all the tools and equipment I think I need tentatively, but any help from anyone who’s lived off grid in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, first time here. An old Marine Corps friend and I just recently bought some acreage in Alaska west of Skwentna with river frontage near Caynon Lake. It’s not something I’ve just jumped into but some thing I’ve been looking at doing and researching since before I joined the Marines in 2013 so it’s been a long time coming. Any advice on where to start once I get there? I have all the tools and equipment I think I need tentatively, but any help from anyone who’s lived off grid in the area would be greatly appreciated.
What are your goals? There are various aims: prepper, self-sufficiency, just get away from folks, provide your own food? There are a few folks on here from Alaska so you will probably get some good input with a little direction.

Welcome to the forum and to Alaska. There are a handful of us here already. How much land do you have and what buildings are there already?
I won’t be headed up there until after break up next year, we’ve got 5 acres. No buildings on it, so we will be starting from scratch. Luckily both my friend and I have experience building cabins and logging which is a plus. The hard part is going to be getting my tools out there, I’m not terribly familiar with the Skwentna and if that far up it’ll be deep enough to get boats in or if I’ll have to fly stuff in or actually come in the winter before break up and snow machine with sleds in? I definitely don’t wanna go in half cocked. What do you think my best option would be?

I take it that your land is not accessible by road. All your ideas are good. a river skiff with a jet drive outboard would be nice. I don't know your river so you will have to adapt as you go.

Here are some old stats. One in 40 alaskans is a pilot and there is a plane forever 50 Alaskans. Friends of mine that have remote sites also have a plane. They also have boats and snow machines. Another friend uses a UTV to get to his site. There is still time this year to fly up here and charter a small plane out to your site to figure out how to get there by boat or other means.

If you drive up here getting your guns through Canada is a pain.

Welcome to the forum first of all!

That is a nice area of Alaska, but as you know it is remote. I had a friend who live about 15 miles or so from where you bought. They hauled their big loads out in the winter with sleds. Unfortuntately he passed a year or so ago when his sled broke through the ice. The only times I’ve been out in that area is a couple fly in fishing trips. Fishing is pretty good In the area. I’ve not done that river by boat, but I would imagine it would be a bit technical to get out there. You certainly would need the right type of boat and know how to navigate the rocks, low water, and the sweepers.

You might also want to check out the Alaska Outdoors Forum and ask around. There is a guy on the Small Cabin Forum who has property out there. His cabin burned down and he had to survive on his own for a few weeks until someone flying overhead found him. He is trying to rebuild. He might be able to give you a few pointers.

Nice area but unforgiving, so do your homework!

Welcome to the forum first of all!

That is a nice area of Alaska, but as you know it is remote. I had a friend who live about 15 miles or so from where you bought. They hauled their big loads out in the winter with sleds. Unfortuntately he passed a year or so ago when his sled broke through the ice. The only times I’ve been out in that area is a couple fly in fishing trips. Fishing is pretty good In the area. I’ve not done that river by boat, but I would imagine it would be a bit technical to get out there. You certainly would need the right type of boat and know how to navigate the rocks, low water, and the sweepers.

You might also want to check out the Alaska Outdoors Forum and ask around. There is a guy on the Small Cabin Forum who has property out there. His cabin burned down and he had to survive on his own for a few weeks until someone flying overhead found him. He is trying to rebuild. He might be able to give you a few pointers.

Nice area but unforgiving, so do your homework!
I’ll definitely ask around and see if any of them can give me some pointers. Thank you for the advice and I’m sorry to hear about your friend.

Hello. I'm familiar with the area. It's kinda wild n big. What kind of cabin do you want to build ? Probably not enough logs there to build a cabin. Hauling enough freight to build one takes a lot of trips on a snogo or river boat.
Several routes, in the non frozen months you can launch out of deshka landing on the Big Susitna river n turn west when you get to the Yetna river. Go a few more hours to Skwetna n keep going. Lots of sandbars, floating logs n debris bring extra extra props. And a tent. The Susitna river is big wild n dangerous. Yetna is just as bad. There are a couple fellas running barges and freight. Snogo in the winter with a freight sled that has to be extra strong n big. Your looking to 75 miles of Alaska river running. In the winter you have to stay on the trail as there's open water or water with snow blown over it.
Get your survival pack ready n always have it.
In the non frozen you can lease a plane. A float plane could get you to or near the lake.
As a guy who has built a remote cabin. I can tell you that it was one of the toughest most rewarding things I have ever done. And sure glad I had the confidence n support to do it.
Some of the best moments in my life. Sitting on a snogo, wrapped up in good gear so I'm comfy warm. Nobody in the this world but me. Just me . I will stop n look up at the northern lights dancing in the sky. And some of the most trying moments. When you break down or stuck. It will happen. Many times before that cabin is done. You will be 50 miles from nothing so you should be prepared to walk a bit n spend the night. Any time of the year. Boats get stuck on sandbars n rip lower units off frequently. Snogos fall into the river. It gets cold n on the river it's colder. Windy down there too.
Anyhows not trying to scare or intimate. It's just the facts. But that's what makes it so cool. I love it n wish I was there now.
BTW. If you called the Skwetna roadhouse n spoke to the great folks who own it. They will be a good contact n full of good information. When you get lost n stuck n broke down. They are good folks to know, they know all the locals. I've spent a night there before on a fly out. Great food n company. Probably wouldn't hurt to fly out there first thing n spend a ni nght or 3. They offer or know folks who can take you to your property from there. And some great fishing too. Moose hunting season now n always too many wolves n bears out there for hunting. They would be a wealth of information and you could introduce yourself into the community. I suspect that it would save you a lot in the long run. And just a nice trip.Actually a lot of though Alaskans out there.
I've ran that river route a few times, it's beautiful it's wild and will swallow you up fast. Imagine a boat overloaded with freight drifting sideways towards a sweeper tree. Hit a hidden sand bar n get thrown out of the boat. That happened the last time I was on that river to the boat owner driver who lived on that river. The sand bar or something hidden in the water hit the prop n ripped the handle right out of his hand. The boat twisted sideways n out he went. I jumped back n grabbed the turret n got turned around n picked him up. Happens fast.
We were at the Big Su landing waiting to head out on to the Su. There was a air boat heading out n when the current in the Su hit him with a swirling eddy it turned him sideways n flipped him.
Hey get out n get some. I love it. Remember take one make one. A picture of our cabin for inspiration. And probably because I'm kinda proud. 20210411_111436.jpg09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg27B9E48C-44DE-41BB-93F7-EE9B9ABE820A.jpegF04DAB49-5029-4E58-88D0-6E4EAAB7C758.jpeg26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg7F10B0A9-1DB2-407C-9E47-7E49C85647A0.jpeg9C50E56E-CF9D-4A3A-9EEC-45CEBEB04892.jpeg20210317_114745.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. I'm familiar with the area. It's kinda wild n big. What kind of cabin do you want to build ? Probably not enough logs there to build a cabin. Hauling enough freight to build one takes a lot of trips on a snogo or river boat.
Several routes, in the non frozen months you can launch out of deshka landing on the Big Susitna river n turn west when you get to the Yetna river. Go a few more hours to Skwetna n keep going. Lots of sandbars, floating logs n debris bring extra extra props. And a tent. The Susitna river is big wild n dangerous. Yetna is just as bad. There are a couple fellas running barges and freight. Snogo in the winter with a freight sled that has to be extra strong n big. Your looking to 75 miles of Alaska river running. In the winter you have to stay on the trail as there's open water or water with snow blown over it.
Get your survival pack ready n always have it.
In the non frozen you can lease a plane. A float plane could get you to or near the lake.
As a guy who has built a remote cabin. I can tell you that it was one of the toughest most rewarding things I have ever done. And sure glad I had the confidence n support to do it.
Some of the best moments in my life. Sitting on a snogo, wrapped up in good gear so I'm comfy warm. Nobody in the this world but me. Just me . I will stop n look up at the northern lights dancing in the sky. And some of the most trying moments. When you break down or stuck. It will happen. Many times before that cabin is done. You will be 50 miles from nothing so you should be prepared to walk a bit n spend the night. Any time of the year. Boats get stuck on sandbars n rip lower units off frequently. Snogos fall into the river. It gets cold n on the river it's colder. Windy down there too.
Anyhows not trying to scare or intimate. It's just the facts. But that's what makes it so cool. I love it n wish I was there now.
BTW. If you called the Skwetna roadhouse n spoke to the great folks who own it. They will be a good contact n full of good information. When you get lost n stuck n broke down. They are good folks to know, they know all the locals. I've spent a night there before on a fly out. Great food n company. Probably wouldn't hurt to fly out there first thing n spend a ni nght or 3. They offer or know folks who can take you to your property from there. And some great fishing too. Moose hunting season now n always too many wolves n bears out there for hunting. They would be a wealth of information and you could introduce yourself into the community. I suspect that it would save you a lot in the long run. And just a nice trip.Actually a lot of though Alaskans out there.
I've ran that river route a few times, it's beautiful it's wild and will swallow you up fast. Imagine a boat overloaded with freight drifting sideways towards a sweeper tree. Hit a hidden sand bar n get thrown out of the boat. That happened the last time I was on that river to the boat owner driver who lived on that river. The sand bar or something hidden in the water hit the prop n ripped the handle right out of his hand. The boat twisted sideways n out he went. I jumped back n grabbed the turret n got turned around n picked him up. Happens fast.
We were at the Big Su landing waiting to head out on to the Su. There was a air boat heading out n when the current in the Su hit him with a swirling eddy it turned him sideways n flipped him.
Hey get out n get some. I love it. Remember take one make one. A picture of our cabin for inspiration. And probably because I'm kinda proud. View attachment 71884View attachment 71885View attachment 71886View attachment 71887View attachment 71888View attachment 71889View attachment 71890View attachment 71891

Thank you! This is exactly the kid of stuff I needed to know. Especially about the area and the river, I grew up on the Flathead in Montana but it’s not near as big or dangerous as what you guys have up there. What cabin style I’d like to go with is going to be dependent on what I’m able to get to the property or log myself (which you said there isn’t quite enough timber for up there). Even a little 10x15 or 10x20 one room to start out isn’t going to bother me until I’ve got a better idea of how to get materials there. Everything you described doesn’t scare me away it makes me even more ready to get up there and get started. Also that is a gorgeous cabin you’ve built for yourself there.

Thank you! This is exactly the kid of stuff I needed to know. Especially about the area and the river, I grew up on the Flathead in Montana but it’s not near as big or dangerous as what you guys have up there. What cabin style I’d like to go with is going to be dependent on what I’m able to get to the property or log myself (which you said there isn’t quite enough timber for up there). Even a little 10x15 or 10x20 one room to start out isn’t going to bother me until I’ve got a better idea of how to get materials there. Everything you described doesn’t scare me away it makes me even more ready to get up there and get started. Also that is a gorgeous cabin you’ve built for yourself there.

It wasn't meant to scare. Just kinda saying what it is. If you got to Anchorage via commercial jet. It's probably an hour to Skwetna by bush plane. From there you could hire someone to drop you off on your dirt. Spend a week or so n have them come back n get you. Fly back to town. Or commercial bush pilots with float planes can tell you if they can land near your land. They know that river too
I would highly encourage it. But that's farther out than I care to freight material.

If you do fly inn take a good tent with you and plenty of provisions. Weather in Alaska is not always cooperative, plan on getting delayed. Sourdough should have some good ideas about how to stash what you leave behind. There is no use flying stuff out that you will haul back in next summer.

If you do fly inn take a good tent with you and plenty of provisions. Weather in Alaska is not always cooperative, plan on getting delayed. Sourdough should have some good ideas about how to stash what you leave behind. There is no use flying stuff out that you will haul back in next summer.

This is exactly how you do it. Always bring in stuff to leave behind. But you will need to keep things safe from the weather and critters.

A study 55 gallon drum with a lid that you can seal would be a great way to keep some basics safe.

I've done a lot of medivac out in the bush. One thing I learned early, all the pilots were dressed as if they were going to crash. I followed their example. Just like buckling your seatbelt even when you don't think your car is going to be in an accident.
You can easily get separated from the plane through fire or sinking. Keep the minimal survival gear in your pockets or attached to you. I always carried a knife, space blanket, fire starter, dental floss for making a shelter etc., candy or other food, signal mirror, flashlight. I had these in the pockets of my insulated coveralls.

Last edited:
This is exactly how you do it. Always bring in stuff to leave behind. But you will need to keep things safe from the weather and critters.

A study 55 gallon drum with a lid that you can seal would be a great way to keep some basics safe.

This is a great idea. I will put extra tent , winter gear, tarps, lantern n such in. If there's a fire or a bear destroys everything while you're there it's nice to have an emergency back up.
Lot of snow that way. Put it at least 6' up in the crotch of a tree so it doesn't get covered in snow.
As caribou wrote. I always have my ditty bag. Small 22 pistol included in case of emergency. Especially when out in a bush plane.
Again good luck. Do you have a snogo ?

Latest posts

Back