Americans Panic-Buy Firewood And Stoves Amid Energy Crisis

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditi...rewood-and-stoves-amid-rapid-energy-inflation

Hornbeck's wealthier customers in the Hudson Valley are buying firewood no matter the cost. He has already sold 3,300 cords of hardwood and will deplete reserves by February. Some of his clients are already locking in orders for next season.

According to EIA figures, just 1% of US households use firewood or wood pellets as their primary heating source, and about 8% use them as their secondary heating source.

A global energy crisis has metastasized and pushed the world into panic buying fossil fuels ahead of the Northern Hemisphere winter thanks to ambitious green policies.

Last edited:
The new world is quickly moving in the direction of the perverbial dinosaur, as soon as enough people wake up. the bureauc rats will abandon ship , or find them selve hanging from the yard arms,
And hopefully the people new to wood heat learn how not to pliug their chimney with creosote, wood needs to be burned not smoldered, and the worst chimney pluggers are the cataclismic perverter stoves.

This reminds me of the situation about 15 or 20 years ago. Heating fuel got out of sight high and corn was about $2/bushel. Farmers around me rushed out to buy corn burning stoves. My brother got one and built a rather elaborate storage bin next to his house. That stove put out some good heat, but it sets quietly in the corner now with stuff on top of it, and the bin is out behind his spruce trees...

only having one source of pretty much anything is just a quicker trip to shif land, unless you use wood heat as a excuse, I mean reason to go home or stay home.
Spike, your brother may find a use for that stove this winter, but let me guess, it needs electricity to function?

only having one source of pretty much anything is just a quicker trip to shif land, unless you use wood heat as a excuse, I mean reason to go home or stay home.
Spike, your brother may find a use for that stove this winter, but let me guess, it needs electricity to function?
Yup. And corn is worth $7/bushel now. Gas heat is still cheaper...

This new world reminds me of the "borg" from the old star trek tv show
I agree . One information source that I pulled up on the computer claims the injections cause some kind of brain alteration to a specific area of the brain . Whether this is true , I don't know but have noticed that even after just the first injection their thinking process seems to change and get more inline with the governments narratives .

https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditi...rewood-and-stoves-amid-rapid-energy-inflation

Hornbeck's wealthier customers in the Hudson Valley are buying firewood no matter the cost. He has already sold 3,300 cords of hardwood and will deplete reserves by February. Some of his clients are already locking in orders for next season.

According to EIA figures, just 1% of US households use firewood or wood pellets as their primary heating source, and about 8% use them as their secondary heating source.

A global energy crisis has metastasized and pushed the world into panic buying fossil fuels ahead of the Northern Hemisphere winter thanks to ambitious green policies.

Point to ponder: If there were to be supply problems and high demand a pellet stove might be difficult to use if the pellets are not available. As with everything else they have a purpose but they also have drawbacks. I know, wood stoves need firewood but it may be easier to cut your own firewood than to make wood pellets.

To me being ahead of the crowd is part of my survival strategy . I prepaid for a tank of propane over 2 years ago and am still holding on to that . Only when propane prices get really outrageous will I call in for my propane that I bought at a much lower price .--- Expecting the heating situation to materialize gathered up a winters supply of firewood before the panic began . So for this year wood has been the only source of heat for my adobe . ----- Years ago expecting shtf eventually , bought a wood cook stove and built a cook house near my main house . I built that cook house with a rock floor that I picked up along our rocky dirt roads . Then got a team of teenagers to lift railroad crossties into place to build 8 inch thick crosstie walls . Then I topped off the roof with a thick two layers of asphalt shingles . That cook house may be something people will be gawking at 100 years from now .

Point to ponder: If there were to be supply problems and high demand a pellet stove might be difficult to use if the pellets are not available. As with everything else they have a purpose but they also have drawbacks. I know, wood stoves need firewood but it may be easier to cut your own firewood than to make wood pellets.

you couldnt give me a pellet stove. you still need to buy something and need electric for it to run. i only want a stove i am totally independent from outside 'needs' all that required is for me to gather wood...true independence !

over at our old forum husband/wife members had a pellet stove and while gone fire crept up shute into hopper. lucky they arrived home in time.

Some are evidently smarter than what we give them credit for.

Secondary air stoves work well, and catalytic stoves are efficient, if you don't count the pain of cleaning the stack all the time because they pull too much heat and crap builds up in the pipe, Catalytic stoves are sold to people who like to smolder wood, not burn it

Secondary air stoves work well, and catalytic stoves are efficient, if you don't count the pain of cleaning the stack all the time because they pull too much heat and crap builds up in the pipe, Catalytic stoves are sold to people who like to smolder wood, not burn it
We have a catalytic wood stove. Yes it burns hot, it don't smolder unless you choke it off completely. Every time it's been cleaned there isn't a great deal of build up.

We have a catalytic wood stove. Yes it burns hot, it don't smolder unless you choke it off completely. Every time it's been cleaned there isn't a great deal of build up.
Glad you are having good luck with your Catalytic stove, just out of curiosity what brand is it? and what kind of wood do you burn ?

Well a Rocket mass heater will hold more heat with a lot less build up.
I have never had personal experience with a rocket mass heater, the theory is sound, and as to the holding heat that adds greatly to efficiency, If I ever have the extra time I would like to build a larger wood hot burn mass stove, with an adjustable radiant dump area,

We heat, cook and heat our water with wood in winter. Good thing we own a lot of woods. I use propane to cook in summer and sometimes in winter, plus we have small space heaters in the bedrooms that run on propane. We just got them refilled and it cost $1 more per gallon than last year. Just like gas.

We have three wood stoves, but are not using any at this time.
We have a small ten acre wood lot with old timber size trees & some small new growth tree mix.
So it we had to we could cook on a wood stove.

It is an Appalachin Wood Stove. Purchased when we built those house in 1994.
so that probably answers my other question about was the chimney selected to work with the stove.
I often have to wonder why the really good firewood grows where there isn`t a severe need for heat, here, we basicly have spruce, pine and aspen, with a few areas with birch and tamarack. I am pretty sure that spruce and pine are the main reason that catalytic stoves don`t work as well here,

To me being ahead of the crowd is part of my survival strategy . I prepaid for a tank of propane over 2 years ago and am still holding on to that . Only when propane prices get really outrageous will I call in for my propane that I bought at a much lower price .--- Expecting the heating situation to materialize gathered up a winters supply of firewood before the panic began . So for this year wood has been the only source of heat for my adobe . ----- Years ago expecting shtf eventually , bought a wood cook stove and built a cook house near my main house . I built that cook house with a rock floor that I picked up along our rocky dirt roads . Then got a team of teenagers to lift railroad crossties into place to build 8 inch thick crosstie walls . Then I topped off the roof with a thick two layers of asphalt shingles . That cook house may be something people will be gawking at 100 years from now .
This is exactly what I want to build.

so that probably answers my other question about was the chimney selected to work with the stove.
I often have to wonder why the really good firewood grows where there isn`t a severe need for heat, here, we basicly have spruce, pine and aspen, with a few areas with birch and tamarack. I am pretty sure that spruce and pine are the main reason that catalytic stoves don`t work as well here,
Wood types I'm sure would be a problem. Around here pine is abundant, but is very sappy and builds creosote badly. Plus it burns quick and don't give near the hear output.
We have a masonry flue, but still a stainless liner in it.

Latest posts

Back