Any Changes in Friends and Family in Regards to Prepping, since the Corona Virus?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had a few errands to do today and wanted to pick up a couple things from Costco. I sent daughter a text message and asked if she wanted me to pick anything up for her? Yep, gluten-free ramen type noodles, coconut milk, packages of premade dal. Why? In case we go into a lock down. She wants to have some things to eat in case she has to be home for a few weeks. I told her it was a good idea to have some items that she could eat in case we do have a lock down. I told her I appreciated that she had gotten toilet paper, paper towels, etc. recently. She reminded me that she had never thought prepping was important, but she can see it for now.

Like many, once this scare is over, her being stocked up extra will likely go away.

Last edited:
Luckily my wife has mostly been on board with any items I think we can use. Certain times she even recommends looking at certain stuff or ask questions pertaining to something. Three weeks ago she started making out list for some stuff. When I mentioned ordering some certain Freeze Dried goods she was all for it. Also asking about my ammo stores. Gotta make that run soon.

As far as being better prepared, not really. Preppers gonna prep. Naysayers gonna nay.
In various places in Asia, my church has closed a few temples, sent home some missionaries and reassigned some until it's over, is having many stay in their apartments, some of the church buildings are closed (not many), some with reduced Sunday services.

Last edited:
I am going to say no. Not that I have seen anyway.

When it comes to prepping my wife treats it like my guns, no interference but little participation. If I put something on a list, she buys it. I buy something, she doesn't say a word. In her words "Jesus put you here to protect us and provide for us, just do your thing". But she is fully on board with the idea that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have.

My parents already are unknowingly preppers. Their storage room, pantry, freezers, root cellar, and canning storage is impressive for people who don't know what prepping is. I am pretty sure my Mom keeps more hygiene and bathroom supplies on hand that any other 10 houses in her neighborhood combined and my Dad is all about his generator, fuel supply, guns, ammo, etc., etc.

When it comes to prepping my wife treats it like my guns, no interference but little participation. If I put something on a list, she buys it. I buy something, she doesn't say a word. In her words "Jesus put you here to protect us and provide for us, just do your thing". But she is fully on board with the idea that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have.

My Wife has finally come to that conclusion. I get the occasional eye roll on things she hasn't given thought to, until I explain why, but other than that...........

Daughter is getting ready to have to stay home. She is always on the go, but when I asked her what I could get from Sprouts, she had a list and I fulfilled it. State of Colorado is now in a state of emergency, and governor had a public announcement today, so for the naysayers, it moves closer to needing to be prepared.

I don't think her boyfriend has much food on hand. Her roommate always buy prepared food. I'm glad she and her crowd are more prepped, but they could have more.

She loves potatoes and asked for some potatoes that she could use for baked potatoes. What else? Brown rice, jasmine rice, red lentils, veggies for soup, jalapenos, onions and garlic, canned soups and beef stew makings.

Not really. Extended family doesn't even think about it. Close family is already prepared. The kid has been prowling around making a list for a run to town tomorrow. She comes up with stuff I haven't even thought of. We are also picking up extra prescription meds thanks to Caribou. He mentioned that his ins let him refill early so I hopped on BC/BS website and its right there in bold letters. "Call for over ride approval on maintenance meds to be ready for shortages".

The friends of ours that made fun of their prepper brother (mostly gun prepper, I think). They stocked up. They stopped making fun of the brother. Then I showed them our storage. They did more shopping.
Hoping these people stay stocked...this might ease off this summer, and come around again in fall. And no immunization...maybe 18 months out at the earliest. At least some people have tp! I've been sticking to my grocery budget. I buy sale items, and fresh veg and milk each week. Haven't cleared the shelves, so to speak, because we're already prepped. Preppers shouldn't be blamed for clearing the shelves. The newbies are doing it.

To answer the question, not really. Definitely no new friends. This crisis really had gotten my wife's attention because she is in an extremely High Risk category. For the most part my situation is much like Sentry's. No interference but little participation. Now her head has popped up and she is asking questions. Do we have enough water? Do we have a way to purify it? Do we have enough food? She has picked up some extra food as well. Our thinking turns more toward our son who is the pickiest eater on the planet. We have focused the extra on him making sure there is plenty in the house he will eat.

My wife has also cancelled some activities where people would come into our home. We have had some cases of Corona virus that are getting alarmingly close. It really makes you wonder about 6 degrees of separation. She was babysitting for a family where one of the children went to a school where there was a possibility of an infection. A lot of doubt has caused a lot of concern. We don't have anybody close to school age in our circle. I will say, from limited experience, the schools here have been very good about texting parents, and keeping them informed. One school which we have friends with children that attend, did close, and the parents were all notified by text, and kept apprised if the situation.

I told hubby that we are going to build a tool shed over the door to camouflage it.

The picture in my head went straight to Maxwell Smart stepping in to the phone booth/ elevator to go down to CONTROL! Sometimes my imagination has more fun than I do.

To answer the question, most people I know just think I'm poor. The friend that I helped clean out her pantry gets it. Pretty sure most don't in this area.

Last edited:
Big changes. Family that always listened to me with a nod and a smile have prepped up beyond what I would have expected. A lot of friends getting more organized and ramping up their preps. Several loosely formed mags in multiple states with solid comms plans and back up plans now. People I'm sure of and trust. Wife turned into a prepping monster difficult to control. Inventories and organization even. Which is great because that's something I struggle with. I have never been as well prepared or been part of a community with a preparedness level I am certain of and comfortable with before. Probably means I'll be the first to die of the virus.

Latest posts

Back