Anybody ever have a grizzly encounter?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right along the more moderate coastal areas where food is abundant. It's also true that no bears truly hibernate, but they all slow down and sleep during the winter, except polar bears. They go in to something called a torpor. It's just easier to say they hibernate.
Really applies only to female polar bears having cubs from what I understand.

very lucky indeed not to have one,even happier those critters don't live here,only our local brown bears and they tend to avoid humans..
Most bears avoid humans. A guy I know, figures that grizzly avoid humans more than black bears do.

I'm not sure, I can't really refute or endorse it, but I've been made more nervous by a large black bear than grizzly.

Brown bears are grizzly. Genetically the same animal, but the coastal version of the grizzly is bigger.

You have it backwards ;) the grizzly are a brown bear as are the kodiaks though not all brown bears are grizzlies same be true of the kodiak, both the grizzly and kodiak are subs of the brown bear ;)

I'll be damed if I'll lay there while a bear is nawing on me. That's why I'll never go in bear country without a gun. Some good bear gun choices are Marlin 45-70 or 450, 12 gauge alternateing with slugs and 00 buck and my personal favorite is a S&W .500 mag. On our ranch we have both black and grizzlies.
My 45-70 is comforting, as is a number of of big game guns.

I like a warmed up .45 Colt with heavy bullets, too. Always wanted a .480 Ruger.

I think I would pass on the shotgun, even though I usually travel with one. Unless I was using a good solid slug or something like a Brenneke. Most slugs are very poor penetrators. And I don't know if I would want to trust buckshot on a big grizzly, either.

There is really no place that that you can go that a bear can't. If you can climb it, chances are fairly high that the bear can also.

I'd say your dad was lucky. Bears can run down hills just fine, and running justs spurs the predatory instinct.

To answer the first question; yes. I consider my time outdoors richer for the possibility of having encounters with all kinds of wildlife.
Grizzlies can't climb trees, but they have a hell of a reach.

Grizzlies can't climb trees, but they have a hell of a reach.
I was going to reference a grizzly's straighter claws, but if a person can grab branches on a big tree, then a grizzly would go up like a ladder.

And a small tree that a person could wrap hands around likely wouldn't be of much safety.

And I'm not sure that I would trust that they don't have a limited ability to climb.

You have it backwards ;) the grizzly are a brown bear as are the kodiaks though not all brown bears are grizzlies same be true of the kodiak, both the grizzly and kodiak are subs of the brown bear ;)
I'll take your word for it, although I don't think I completely follow.

Sometimes we get pretty caught up in different titles for the same animal.

Grizzlies and Kodiak's are subspecies of the Brown Bear.
That is more or less what I was scratching around at, but to figure out which one is the subspecies of which you would have to establish which one has the most amount of genetic information.

More than likely it is the brown bear.

Rightly or wrongly, we always called them Kodiak brown bears....
I usually hear one term or the other, but seeing as how those are the Kodiak Island bears, I don't find anything wrong with it.

Always wanted to take one of those big brutes with my (Marlin) Guide Gun.

I just read Washington State and conservationist is wanting to introduce more Grizzlies to the Cascades, wanting to restore to 19th century levels... stupid people

1895 grizzly kill 6 miles from my property, 383 hides in one year taken in the Cascades just north of me. It would be a travesty for both bear and man to restore to 19th century levels, not enough food!
bear_pelt1.jpg

My parents had an encounter with a black bear (no grizzlies in Fl) right in the back yard here in Florida.

It was written up in the newspaper.

The animal couldn't leave fast enough.

My parents actual have quite a bit of animal and outdoors experience (and common sense), so there was little or no safety issue.

This bear was later trapped and released deep in the boondocks.

His name was Hershey.

figure out which one is the subspecies of which you would have to establish which one has the most amount of genetic information.

More than likely it is the brown bear.

Subspecies have a third scientific name.

Brown Bear - Ursus arctos

These are some subspecies of Ursus arctos:
Grizzly Bear - Ursus arctos horribilis
Alaskan Brown Bear - Ursus arctos alascensis
Kodiak Bear - Ursus arctos middendorffi
Eurasian Brown Bear - Ursus arctos arctos
Kamchatka Brown Bear - Ursus arctos beringianus
East Siberian Brown Bear - Ursus arctos collaris
Syrian Brown Bear - Ursus arctos syriacus
Himalayan Brown Bear - Ursus arctos isabellinus

Latest posts

Back