Anyone own a Electric Roaster Oven

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time we had one similar.. A Black & Decker, about 16 quart (?) size.. Purchased second hand from a thrift store or garage sale (?).... It was very useful doing things like cooking apples for home canned apple sauce, and other preparations for home canning, freezing and the like preserving projects.. Also a favorite when making something for the occasional bush community pot luck...

Today I use a 1 1-2 quart slow cooker with cooking bags.. This works well for one person..

We have one. That's how we cook our Thanksgiving turkey most of the time (a few times we have cooked it on the Traeger grill). The turkey comes out great from that roaster, and it frees up the ovens for all the other stuff we cook for Thanksgiving. We do pull the turkey out of the roaster at the very end and put it under the broiler in the regular over to brown it. It doesn't brown in the roaster.

We don't use the roaster for anything else besides the Thanksgiving turkey. So for us, it's a specialty item that we could probably do without. But they're cheap, and they do make Thanksgiving easier by freeing up the other ovens.

Last edited:
The roaster - in our case - falls into the same category as most of our kitchen appliances. It is like the rice cooker, the waffle maker, the Instant Pot, the blender, the egg cooker, the George Foreman grill, the vegetable steamer, the food processor, the espresso machine - things like that. Used occasionally. The only appliances that we use daily are the coffee maker and the air fryer. The microwave is a close second. I can't believe how much we use the air fryer. I never would have thought. It's not just for "fried-like" stuff. We have a large square one with multiple heating elements. The Cosori "Dual Blaze". I highly recommend that one. But think "big", and "square shaped" for highest capacity. Even for two people. The smaller ones are going to be very limiting. The Dash egg cooker is very handy too. We use that a lot. Very cheap, and a great tool if you like hard boiled eggs. You do have to experiment with it a few times to get the water amount correct. The amount of water you put into the thing determines the cooking time. But once you've got that nailed for your altitude and the way you like your eggs, that little cooker is great.

Our other occasional use appliances? Yeah, I recommend them. If you have no money, skip them. But if you are financially stable, why not? They do help for their respective uses.

Just what I need! Another little appliance! Maybe I need to look into this…
How big of a turkey can you put in it? With a lid on I assume.
Yes, lid on for turkeys. Probably for everything - I can't think of a use with lid off. I guess we do make gravy in it with the lid off after we have removed the turkey. So there's that. But that's an ancillary function.

They come in different sizes. Ours is medium-large and we've done turkeys over 20 lbs in it. The one we had before (was actually my wife's parents that was many decades old) was humongous. We did 25+lb turkeys in that baby. That is a huge turkey. You have to search hard to find one that big around here.

Awesome @Haertig you can make gravy in it AND stuff a big turkey in it! We always need a big turkey for our family.

You're not going to get a full rolling boil out of it like making gravy in a pot on the stove. But it kind of boils a little bit - enough to add thickener and make gravy to our standards. Consider it a long-term gravy maker. You start the gravy when you pull the turkey out. Then the turkey goes under the regular over broiler for a while, then the turkey cools a while, then you slice the turkey. Given that amount of time you can make fine gravy in the roaster. But if you wait until the last minute - "Oh, we forgot the gravy!" - you're going to do better with higher heat that you can get with a pot on a regular stove burner.

IIRC, the original one we had only had one temperature. The switch was just a dial for the old style spring powered timer. Tick-tick-tick-tick. That always let us know the turkey was cooking and upped the anticipation. Functionally, that timer was useless, since you should be checking your turkey's doneness with a meat thermometer. But the ticking is a fond memory. Our new (relatively speaking) one has a control like a basic crock pot - Off, Low and High. No timer. I'm sure they probably come with full range digital controls now, but we never had that, nor needed it. These roasters are very much like a gigantic crock pot (higher temps though). Heating from the sides and bottom, with a thin little non-insulated lid on top. All the ones I've seen have at least a little glass window in the lid so you can look inside. Not that you can see much - a bunch of moisture and the top of a turkey breast about one inch away!

Last edited:
Just what I need! Another little appliance! Maybe I need to look into this…
How big of a turkey can you put in it? With a lid on I assume.
Only 26 pounds.

If you’re buying a roaster oven with the main goal of cooking those holiday turkeys, you’ll especially want to make sure to get one that’s big enough to accommodate the size of bird you usually get. Most ovens range from 16 to 22 quarts, but if you opt for a different kind of convection oven or pressure cooker, they may be much smaller yet should have at least eight quarts of volume to fit a full small turkey. Most 18-quart roasters will fit an 18- to 22-pound turkey, and 22-quart roasters can fit up to 26-pound birds for larger gatherings.

Among the other features you’ll want to consider is the oven’s temperature range, which typically maxes out at 450 degrees. Keep in mind that a minimum temperature of 200 or more may not be low enough to simply keep some dishes warm. In addition, domed-style, self-basting lids can help keep moisture circulating, so you don’t have to baste your turkey as frequently. Most roaster ovens should also include a wire rack, and may have dishwasher-friendly parts for easier cleanup.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/food-drink/g25095270/best-turkey-roaster-ovens/

22 Quart Electric Roaster Oven Stainless Steel with Self-Basting Lid, new,
Price: US $49.69
It is cheater than Walmart & free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4044195856...Qepxz0preEAkT3JdQuIB|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2508447
Yes I do. I bought one many years ago and do not use it very often. I found another one at a yard sale for $5, bought it and gave it to someone.

My aunt and uncle lived in a single wide trailer for a few years, going up and down the Missouri River as the dams were being built. At one point, their oven no longer worked. They used the electric roaster that had been my mothers for all oven kinds of things, like baking cakes, roasts, and whatever they would have used an oven for.

I have a roasting pan. I use it twice a year. Once, for turkey on Thanksgiving, and the second for Christmas, where I make a standing prime rib roast. I keep it the roast out of the grease by lining the pan with 5-6 pounds of carrots tops, celery, onion skins and potato peels. Slap the rib roast on top and cook until 20 minutes from being done. Unplug, and let it rest for the last 20 minutes. The veggies give it a great, smoky flavoring. My guests love it.

@Haertig if you are like my family, then you know real home made turkey gravy on Thanksgiving is a priority and one of the main dishes.
:Thankyou:😍 ain't nothin' like it!!
@joel we don't go that big anymore, or for now...family is still growing though.

Yes I do. I bought one many years ago and do not use it very often. I found another one at a yard sale for $5, bought it and gave it to someone.

My aunt and uncle lived in a single wide trailer for a few years, going up and down the Missouri River as the dams were being built. At one point, their oven no longer worked. They used the electric roaster that had been my mothers for all oven kinds of things, like baking cakes, roasts, and whatever they would have used an oven for.
That's when I got my first one, we lived in a rent trailer, no oven!

=== ===
As I recall the dams were the Yellow Tail, Garrison, Oahe... And I don't remember what was sown stream from there...

I also recall the big counter top roaster made a VERY good peach, or pineapple upside down cake...

Latest posts

Back