Are Drive In Theatres Coming Back?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Opening soon in St.Augustine a new drive in theatre.
We went to one last year in Ocala thats been open for years.It was nice to see the families with their little kids in SUV and pickups.

Although the movies they are throwing up in HollyHood will have to make a drastic change if the Drive In's are to survive.

1588615307988.png

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/05/04/coming-soon-to-st-augustine-a-drive-in-movie-theater/

Hah. I wonder if cars are better sprung than they used to be.
Most people won't get that. Good memories ;).
If the windshield and windows are fogged up, they ain't watchin' the movie!
I had a lot of fun at drive-ins too.
And a squeaky suspension was a tattle-taleo_O.

@VThillman we'll sneak you into the drive-in in the trunk just like the good ol days, and you can see for yourself ;)

I wish there was still one near me. I'd take my daughter in a heartbeat. Since the virus happened we kind of miss going to the movies. We'd see one or two a month.
Ah yes. We never knew whether that was going to work, because The Weathersfield town cop was at the gate some nights, and if he had a hunch he would make the driver open the trunk.

Most people won't get that. Good memories ;).
If the windshield and windows are fogged up, they ain't watchin' the movie!
I had a lot of fun at drive-ins too.
And a squeaky suspension was a tattle-taleo_O.
I was about 10 when the last drive in near me closed up. Never got to experience the squeaky suspension at the drive in. Had to go find a farmer's field for that...;)

But its nicer to sit on your own seats and not have people coughing or breathing down your back.around you,and thats in good times.
I'm not sure. We have two theaters nearby with luxury recliners and swing out trays to put your beer on. Taking my kid to the movies there always ends up costing me $35 bucks but it's pretty nice...

Still a couple around here, one of them opens this weekend :) Cheaper to go to the Matinee at a sit down theater, when they reopen.
I'm not sure. We have two theaters nearby with luxury recliners and swing out trays to put your beer on. Taking my kid to the movies there always ends up costing me $35 bucks but it's pretty nice...

That one sounds nice.

admission at the one we go to is only $6.

Ocala Drive In
1588623907721.png

Too hard to find a car with a real bench seat anymore. Bucket seats and center consoles keep the front area "G" rated :p Back in the dayI had a Rambler wagon with reclining front seats and the fold down back seat. The rest is left to your imagination.

I hated the drive-in. I was a kid and stuck in the back seat. I couldn't see the movie or understand the little speaker. Once the popcorn or hotdog was gone then I made to much noise and got yelled at by my folks. All in all a miserable experience.

Now building materials are much improved... A large auditorium can be built cheaply. I can sit comfortably in A/C or heated room without flies, mosquitoes, rain or puddles.

Think of it... The ancient romans had to kill people with spears or lions to get folks to the drive-in/open air arena. There was a reason for this. :rolleyes:

Edit to add this story... One summer, had to be a saturday night. All the trash cans were mostly full from friday night. Left over bits of burgers, dogs, sodas and rest of the menu that had baked in the alabama sun all day.

That night the whole place reeked, it stank to high heaven, and the flies, flies everywhere. It was like an egyptian plague. I was so glad mom and dad decided not to stay. We were home before the ice in my soda melted.

Last edited:
Too hard to find a car with a real bench seat anymore. Bucket seats and center consoles keep the front area "G" rated :p Back in the dayI had a Rambler wagon with reclining front seats and the fold down back seat. The rest is left to your imagination.

Come in handy for kids taking naps too.

I haven't been to a drive-in for over 40 years.

Myself, I prefer the back yard theater. We have a 120" screen with projector and good speakers. Pull up a few lawn chairs and you're good to go. In the truck bay of my building, I have a dedicated 120" screen that electrically drops down from the ceiling and a projector hung from the ceiling. When it's cold out, my kids have their friends come over and hang out there. I just pull the truck out, pull out table and chairs, turn on the heat on and they're good to go. Before you judge me, A) It's not very expensive to set these up and B) My kids are now 18 & 22. I'd rather have them hanging out here as opposed to being in the back seat of a car at a drive-in. Projectors are cheaper than grand kids.

It was just a few years ago that many drive-in theaters had to do a major upgrade of equipment or close. I believe they were no longer able to get the film on reels, so for around 10K, they could upgrade and use the newer technology. There was a contest where the theaters who got the most votes were awarded new equipment. A few of the drive-in theaters in South Dakota were the ones that I was familiar with on the list. In small towns, there is so little to do for entertainment, and drive'in theaters are busy on weekends. Busy in a small town doesn't mean they are getting rich. We used to pack a basket of food to go with us. For me, going to a drive in has always been a bit of a waste. By the time the movie comes on, I am usually asleep. This was true from the time I was a young girl and we went to see Black Beauty. I remember going to it, but I am pretty sure I was asleep before it even started.

It was just a few years ago that many drive-in theaters had to do a major upgrade of equipment or close. I believe they were no longer able to get the film on reels, so for around 10K, they could upgrade and use the newer technology. There was a contest where the theaters who got the most votes were awarded new equipment. A few of the drive-in theaters in South Dakota were the ones that I was familiar with on the list. In small towns, there is so little to do for entertainment, and drive'in theaters are busy on weekends. Busy in a small town doesn't mean they are getting rich. We used to pack a basket of food to go with us. For me, going to a drive in has always been a bit of a waste. By the time the movie comes on, I am usually asleep. This was true from the time I was a young girl and we went to see Black Beauty. I remember going to it, but I am pretty sure I was asleep before it even started.
Black Beauty. I know I went to see that, but I don't remember doing it. Ahem; was there a movie named My Friend Flicka?

Black Beauty. I know I went to see that, but I don't remember doing it. Ahem; was there a movie named My Friend Flicka?

I know there was either a movie or a series called 'My Freind Flicker,but I don't remember which it was.

@VThillman, here is one epesode of it .Also a movie was made about Flicker.

Last edited:
For me, going to a drive in has always been a bit of a waste. By the time the movie comes on, I am usually asleep. This was true from the time I was a young girl and we went to see Black Beauty. I remember going to it, but I am pretty sure I was asleep before it even started.
Did your drive-in have a small playground in front of the screen? That's where we played until the movie started. When the movie started, we went back to the car but by that point it was a double treat as we got to see a movie and stay up past our bed time. We did our best to enjoy both by staying up until the end.

I know there was either a movie or a series called 'My Freind Flicker,but I don't remember which it was.
I remember the title of that movie, but it was so long ago that I have no memory of it or if I even saw it.

I did finally see Black Beauty a few years ago. My sixth grade teacher read the book to us chapter by chapter after lunch.

Latest posts

Back