Are Drive In Theatres Coming Back?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there was either a movie or a series called 'My Freind Flicker,but I don't remember which it was.
There was a TV series in the 50's. (It's 'Flicka'). My folks didn't have a TV until cable came to town - while I was in the Air Force - so that isn't what I remember.

A few posts back I used the expression "Holey Mackerel". I thick I picked that up from an ancient radio program, either "Amos 'n Andy" or a another, similar program with better writers - that I don't remember the name of. Holey Mackerel, Kingfish! Which program it was, the Shadow knows.

I remember the title of that movie, but it was so long ago that I have no memory of it or if I even saw it.

I did finally see Black Beauty a few years ago. My sixth grade teacher read the book to us chapter by chapter after lunch.

Weedy we use to have Nationl Velvet, My Friend Fricka and Black Beauty to watch and us kids liked all of them.

There was a TV series in the 50's. (It's 'Flicka'). My folks didn't have a TV until cable came to town - while I was in the Air Force - so that isn't what I remember.

Thats right VThil I forgot your a few years older than me,but iis about the same horse at least.

A few posts back I used the expression "Holey Mackerel". I thick I picked that up from an ancient radio program, either "Amos 'n Andy" or a another, similar program with better writers - that I don't remember the name of. Holey Mackerel, Kingfish! Which program it was, the Shadow knows.

Maybe Amos and Kingfish were the same one?

I remember seeing ET and Rambo First Blood at a drive in theatre in Santa Cruz, CA. Then the place was turned into a flea market. Bummer. We would bring lawn chairs and sit outside and eat the takeout pizza we brought with us. Would love to go to one again.
Remember the dancing food cartoon: "Let's all go to the lobby...."

We have an old drive in an hour from us. The only way I’ll see a new movie. Problem is the town has built up around it so bad it’s hard to see any movies that are darker now. Missed at least 1/2 of Jurassic world when I went to see it. Just to much dark in the movie and to much surrounding light. Not sure if I’ll go back anymore at this point because of this. Last year or two I’ve just waited for the release on dvd and watched it at home.
I won’t go to a sit in theater. Spend all my time watching my surroundings and can’t concentrate on the movie. Situational awareness can be a “problem” at times.

. . .
I won’t go to a sit in theater. Spend all my time watching my surroundings and can’t concentrate on the movie. Situational awareness can be a “problem” at times.
Hey, that's a factor I didn't think of. Maybe because I haven't been inside a movie theater in several decades - the need to keep the sonar and intermittent radar working. The wanting to sit in the back row. The movie theater (long gone) in my hometown used to require kids under 12 not with adults to sit in the first 6 rows. Most kids 10 or older tried for the sixth row - because they figured they wouldn't have to 'watch their backs'.

When I was in h.s., I spent 3 summers at my aunt and uncles who lived on a farm and had 6 children. I was 7 years older than their oldest. I would take the cousins to the drive-ins on the weekends. It is still a fond memory for them. My hometown, 100 miles away, didn't have a drive-in. The closest one was 25 miles away. I know that the car ride to that theater put me to sleep when I was young.

Latest posts

Back