Arthritis

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A week ago I was crawling onto our excavator. I fell about a meter and landed on back and left side. I'm having a lot of pain from my left shoulder to my neck. The doctor says nothin is pulled or broken. He thinks the fall aggravated my arthritis. This is something new for me. If anyone has information to share on arthritis and dealing with it I would be appreciative.

Years ago I hurt my knee trying to roll, a 800lb roll of hay off a trailer. Had cartilage damage and aggravated the arthritis in that knee. Ortho surgen was a country boy, spoke plain. The pain was arthritis. Surgically he could clean up the tear, which would only aggravate and hasten the arthritis.

I still take his remedy. Hot cup of cinnamon tea w/tsp of honey. Couple times a week. Does wonders for arthritis pain. But only buy Ceylon cinnamon. Lots of different plants produce cinnamon. Ceylon is the most medicinal cinnamon.

My first suggestion is at least one deep tissue massage, and maybe a few several days apart, Someone good who will dig in deep and loosen up the damaged muscle tissue. It may hurt, but it hurts now so an hour of occasional owwies is better than weeks of pain or pain meds. If you are inclined have a shot or two of vodka prior to the massage, but don't get drunk and don't mention the liquid pain reliever. It will help you relax and help your muscles relax. If you have to drive to the massage place get there early and have the drink in the parking lot. By the time the massage is over and you get dressed and pay and back out to the car you should be fine to drive, but like I said one or two, not half a bottle. Maybe a couple visits to the chiropractor, but get at least one massage first, preferable shortly before the Chiropractor appointment. The massage will help relax the muscles and will make it easier for the Chiropractor to make the adjustment. If your Chiropractor wants you back every day for a week and many times there after you probably have the wrong Chiropractor, mine tells me to come back in a few days if it still hurts and then only occasional visits when needed. I see him only a dozen times a year since I started the following bit of information.
As for the arthritis, sugar and carbohydrates cause inflammation and also cause arthritis flare ups. Cut the carbs and sugar for a while. Probably doesn't need to be 100% but plan your diet mostly on meat and cheese and meat and very low carb veggies. Broccoli and cauliflower are two that come to mind. If this seems difficult bacon and nuts make good snacks when you feel a craving for sugar or carbs. Basically, carbs are sugar, sugar is bad for inflammation.
Last suggestion, get a good blanket, and a large ice pack. Wrap the ice pack in a very lightly damp towel or I use a Tshirt to wrap 4 layers of material over the side that will be against the skin. Lie down and place the ice pack where it hurts and cover up with the blanket. As each area begins to numb move the ice pack a bit and place it over the next worse area that hurts.. Usually when I do this when the area gets numb I fall asleep and wake up a few hours later and move the ice pack aside and go back to sleep. Ice packs make the area numb and numb is a better pain killer than pain meds, just use enough blanket to keep you warm enough to be comfortable. I have done all of these for years and it will work, if you try it.

I have cinnamon in my coffee every day. I fell back in October on my left side. I was walking a dog and was on the road. I have had problems with my shoulder ever since. They say arthritis. I knew that ginger was supposed to help. Didn't know about cinnamon. I got a deep tissue massage a few weeks ago and will get another next week. Can't afford more often but it sure did seem to help. Also, ordered one of those massager/ tens units that you just attach and don't have to hold.

I have cinnamon in my coffee every day. I fell back in October on my left side. I was walking a dog and was on the road. I have had problems with my shoulder ever since. They say arthritis. I knew that ginger was supposed to help. Didn't know about cinnamon. I got a deep tissue massage a few weeks ago and will get another next week. Can't afford more often but it sure did seem to help. Also, ordered one of those massager/ tens units that you just attach and don't have to hold.

There are times when I don't have time to make tea. I just swallow a tble spoon of honey covered in cinnamon. It's the combination that works.

I gotta get some of that cinamon
I have been a turmeric guy ever since I accidentally discovered it on cruise ships.
2-3 days later, half my joint-pain would magically vanish and then I realized that the head chef on every cruise ship was from India, and they put that stuff on EVERYTHING.
...Probably to keep the old-folks from b*ching so much. :rolleyes:

A week ago I was crawling onto our excavator. I fell about a meter and landed on back and left side. I'm having a lot of pain from my left shoulder to my neck. The doctor says nothin is pulled or broken. He thinks the fall aggravated my arthritis. This is something new for me. If anyone has information to share on arthritis and dealing with it I would be appreciative.
Sorry I just saw this. Two things, you probably have some bruising even if mild probably isn’t comfortable- icing for no longer than 20 minutes every so often can help. Also wheat is a natural inflammatory. Eliminating it even temporarily can help reduce inflammation in the joints (Hubby seldom eats it any more because he says it’s not worth the pain.)

I have been a turmeric guy ever since I accidentally discovered it on cruise ships.
2-3 days later, half my joint-pain would magically vanish and then I realized that the head chef on every cruise ship was from India, and they put that stuff on EVERYTHING.
...Probably to keep the old-folks from b*ching so much. :rolleyes:
Just happened to have Tumeric on the shelf. I am including it in my daily dosing, can't hurt.

I take cinnamon in my coffee daily. I use Vietnamese Cinnamon but will switch to Ceylon Cinnamon when my order comes in. I have upped the amount of cinnamon in my coffee.

Just happened to have Tumeric on the shelf. I am including it in my daily dosing, can't hurt.

I take cinnamon in my coffee daily. I use Vietnamese Cinnamon but will switch to Ceylon Cinnamon when my order comes in. I have upped the amount of cinnamon in my coffee.
Since we are on the topic of arthritis, I believe there are way more than 2 kinds of it (osteo, and rheumatoid) so something that works great for one, may not work at all on others. YMMV.

Funny, I was reading and though turmeric. I'd certainly take it. Do you have fresh root? Fresh root would be best but even dried from a herbal apthocary type store would be okay. It'd be much more potent from them. I posted about making turmeric tincture last december from fresh root.

I don't think of osteo and rheumatoid as the same illness. Poke Sallet comes to mind for ra and even it's temporary. It's an immunomodulator. But its also an excellent anti inflammatory for oa, + a potent antiviral.

Last edited:
Since we are on the topic of arthritis, I believe there are way more than 2 kinds of it (osteo, and rheumatoid) so something that works great for one, may not work at all on others. YMMV.
Gout is also type of arthritis. I took some dried cherries but that didn't seem to do anything. Yes, I'm grasping at straws with this one.

Seems like I was right.
Arthritis is not a disease, but merely the name of a symptom of many:
Wikipedia said: Arthritis is a term often used to mean any disorder that affects joints. ...There are over 100 types of arthritis. ...Arthritis is a common reason that people miss work and can result in a decreased quality of life. The term is derived from arthr- (meaning 'joint') and -itis (meaning 'inflammation').
Instead of some silly PCR test, for some extinct virus, how about we have a test for what joint disease we are suffering from?gaah
(Sorry, but the soapbox is getting dangerously close.
76635-soapbox-zipper.gif
)

Last edited:
It took my wife years before a Rheumatologist actually diagnosed which type of arthritis she has.
He has been able to reduce her pain and swelling a little.
I have ordered her some cinnamon Ceylon tea. I'll try turmeric also.
Hopefully it will help a little.
Thanks to you all for the advice.
You never mentioned the type.
The turmeric may not help.
If it does, it takes a couple of days to 'gang-up' on the pain/inflammation, unlike otc pain-relievers.
The type I have: no swelling, no stiffness or loss of motion, just pain.
Different types are totally different. Arthritis = a symptom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back