Awareness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This weekend I drove about 500 miles on Saturday to pick up cousins to drive back 500 miles on Sunday.

Now, I didn't have all the stuff I'd have liked to have with me, but I had water and some snacks and extra shoes. Umbrella, etc.

I was looking at the sides of the interstates at the under brush and such as where would I hide and make a small camp if I had to, etc.

I read Prep fiction and get ideas.

And I was wondering how my 80 year old aunt would fair, and how the 56 year old cousin would do since 3 years ago he had a sever stroke and woke up from coma on the day they were going to declare him a vegg and take to permanent nursing home. His brother/keeper is in excellent walking health as he has not driven for years and walks miles to get where he is going.

So, if you are out on trips like this and with other keep looking and thinking what would you do if the CME/EMP or just a car break down or civil unrest would happen. (Oh, I did have a revolver with me).

I'm dead.

Our last trip was 600 miles with three major cities to visit the grand-kids. Pocket pistol (wife is afraid of firearms and therefore doesn't want them seen), AR-7 with 3 mags full and additional 100 rounds in bag plus poncho, floppy hat, gloves, lighter, weather proof matches, Mylar emergency blanket, stove, MREs along with miscellaneous tools to make me a pain in the butt to trail. But wife couldn't handle walking 5 miles in a day's time or accept her world as she knows it has been changed forever and her emotional reactions would end up getting us both killed.

But wife couldn't handle walking 5 miles in a day's time or accept her world as she knows it has been changed forever and her emotional reactions would end up getting us both killed
You will not be alone. There will be otherwise prepared people who will lose their minds, be hysterical and not be able to get their stuff together enough to be safe. If a person cannot even think of it now, they won't be able to deal in a SHTF situation. Ever hear something said and you hear someone respond, "Oh don't say that." They cannot deal with the possibilities of life not always being pleasant, wonderful and a bowl of cherries.

I'll be driving from here through the Cassiar to Prince Rupert later this month. I'll have food, water, trauma kit, survival gear, spare gas, and a bunch more. I will not have a firearm as Canadian Customs is kind of persnickety about such things and breaking the law would be rude and make me unwelcome. It is the one bad thing about driving through Canada. I have a handgun waiting for me when I get to where I'm going. I'll be naked for over three days each way.

About the only time we go any distance is when we go and visit our kids 300 miles away. No big cities or towns but that 300 miles is almost all across the 4-corners region which is the most desolate area in the USA. My wife would never make it very far there.

What is the latest, as far as needing a Passport or DHS approved I.D.

I'll be driving from here through the Cassiar to Prince Rupert later this month. I'll have food, water, trauma kit, survival gear, spare gas, and a bunch more. I will not have a firearm as Canadian Customs is kind of persnickety about such things and breaking the law would be rude and make me unwelcome. It is the one bad thing about driving through Canada. I have a handgun waiting for me when I get to where I'm going. I'll be naked for over three days each way.

Carabou, I know handguns are a no-go but what about rifles or shotguns?
See THIS
You can apparently carry up to three guns into or through Canada.

You want to have your passport. Canada might let you slide but America is sticky.

In order to bring your guns into Canada you need to first register them and get the appropriate paperwork. You can bring in a gun for hunting or a one time pass if you are moving into or out of Alaska. I go from Alaska to Alaska through Canada. It was easier for me to buy an additional pistol and leave it down there. See how easily I can rationalise buying another gun.

I'm dead.

Our last trip was 600 miles with three major cities to visit the grand-kids. Pocket pistol (wife is afraid of firearms and therefore doesn't want them seen), AR-7 with 3 mags full and additional 100 rounds in bag plus poncho, floppy hat, gloves, lighter, weather proof matches, Mylar emergency blanket, stove, MREs along with miscellaneous tools to make me a pain in the butt to trail. But wife couldn't handle walking 5 miles in a day's time or accept her world as she knows it has been changed forever and her emotional reactions would end up getting us both killed.

We always take along food and extra water but we do need to be more prepared when traveling.

Good to see all the answers. I just felt so under ready for whatever, and I knew 1/2 my passengers would not go far. And unfortunately, most of the passengers in my car are 80 or older and not in good condition. But, I do have some stuff at my house I need to put under the luggage carrying area. And just keep it there. And get some new water bottles.

Good to see all the answers. I just felt so under ready for whatever, and I knew 1/2 my passengers would not go far. And unfortunately, most of the passengers in my car are 80 or older and not in good condition. But, I do have some stuff at my house I need to put under the luggage carrying area. And just keep it there. And get some new water bottles.

I know that is a challenge and good on you to perform it.:thumbs:

But, I do have some stuff at my house I need to put under the luggage carrying area. And just keep it there. And get some new water bottles.

Depends.........and a honey bucket.

I keep a GHB in the car on a permanent basis, plus there are maps and we keep water in the car, if going anywhere out of the local area we keep food that dosent need cooking or heating.
as for walking we reckon like this: a young fit person on a level solid surface will walk about 4 miles per hour
an older person could walk at about 3 MPH, off road across country on a level track about 2MPH
off road, uphill on an uneven track in inclement weather in the dark about 1MPH
if you do 20 miles a day you'll be doing well, more likely about 12 miles a day maybe 10 miles.
if travelling in a group you will be travelling at the pace of the slowest, that could be an elderly person or a young child.
some days the weather may be so bad you wont do any travelling at all.

Latest posts

Back