Baby Cakes got snake bit

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tim Horton Texas has the rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater each March. I would not be attending that, pretty yuck. Like a snake festival, I think the snakes are set fire, all kinds of goings on. Finally there have been some protests against the event but not sure how far they'll get with that since it is Texas and there are lots of rattlesnakes. They catch too many in my opinion. May have been a time and a place for it at one time...
Juneau, being the capitol of Alaska received may letters to the editor, at the local paper, from out of state individuals. Every time they found out about the State shooting wolves to control their population a new flurry of letters arrived at the paper. A gal I knew had access to letterhead from the governor's office, and envelopes.

She liked to write letters to these idiots that went something like this. Due to your interest in the preservation of wolves you have been selected to receive your own wolf. It will be arriving at your location next Thursday by common carrier. Please keep us informed as to the progress of your wolf.

Sincerely,
R.R. Hood (for red riding)
Commissioner of Wolves

I would have loved to been a mouse in the corner when the letters arrived.

Super glad Baby Cakes is doing great, not a slow recovery. Which kitty is Baby Cakes? Some dogs are trained or have the gift of smelling a snake being nearby. Any of yours have that yet? 🐍
Edited to add: Glad you're doing better, @Pearl !!!🩺💉🔬🔫⛏️ that snake had better find a different home.
Baby Cakes is one of the outside kitties, was a feral people on the next road got as part of a feral/barn cat rescue. They didn't feed her and her brother, they came here! Her brother got taken by an owl three years ago! She decided to be my friend then and not so feral!! Had several dogs over the years that could "find"snakes. One would make a weird yipping noise instead of barking. Bear has never encountered a snake since he's been here.

Texas has the rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater each March.
Finally there have been some protests against the event but not sure how far they'll get with that since it is Texas and there are lots of rattlesnakes.
-- --
Yes.. I think there have been protests about this a number of times over a number of years.. I think it has only served to put the event kind of underground and is somewhat a merit badge for those with that kind of agenda.. Otherwise for those that live there it is a necessary part of keeping safe for locals..
--
BWAHAHHHAA.... Receive your own wolf.. That is funny.. If it wasn't so incredibly dangerous it is too bad that couldn't really happen.. It would only take one wolf shipped to a suburb to make at least a few misguided zealots realize what others live with 24/7.. But like said ..you can't fix stupid...
==
Glad all are recovering well..

Grandpa smoked a pipe with Prince Edward tobacco that came in a tin.

Sorry, Weedy, but I just can't resist. A very, very old joke.

A guy goes into a store and asks the clerk "Do you have Prince Edward in a can?" The clerk says "Yes, we do." The guy says, "Well you better let him out." 🤣

Bear has never encountered a snake since he's been here.

You might want to take him to a training class. My sister's dog was bitten by a rattlesnake. It was touch and go for a while, and I think the dog lost an eye, but she survived. My BIL took the dog to a training class. I guess it makes them aware, and they know to stay away. No other incidents since the class.

You might want to take him to a training class. My sister's dog was bitten by a rattlesnake. It was touch and go for a while, and I think the dog lost an eye, but she survived. My BIL took the dog to a training class. I guess it makes them aware, and they know to stay away. No other incidents since the class.
I train dogs!! Would NEVER let anyone else work with mine!!

Anybody see the TV show the Rookie?
These guys were fighting & one had a Arizona Coral snake & waving it around like it was a knife. It bit him & he dropped it.
The female cop took a hook & picked it up & saved the day.
It was plain to see that the snake was a Scarlet Kingsnake, not a venomous coral snake.

"Red touches yellow will kill a fellow"
"Black touches red is safe for Fred"

Coral snakes have fixed fangs, they do NOT fold back like a copperhead. The small head/mouth & fixed fangs means it is hard if not impossible for the coral snake any where but fingers or toes.
Most of the coral snake bites have been on children, who play with the coral snake.

IMG_20231120_161646497~2.jpg

Back to her old self!!😺

Juneau, being the capitol of Alaska received may letters to the editor, at the local paper, from out of state individuals. Every time they found out about the State shooting wolves to control their population a new flurry of letters arrived at the paper. A gal I knew had access to letterhead from the governor's office, and envelopes.

She liked to write letters to these idiots that went something like this. Due to your interest in the preservation of wolves you have been selected to receive your own wolf. It will be arriving at your location next Thursday by common carrier. Please keep us informed as to the progress of your wolf.

Sincerely,
R.R. Hood (for red riding)
Commissioner of Wolves

I would have loved to been a mouse in the corner when the letters arrived.
I'll take two of pre-breeding age, please.
I always wanted my own wolf pit to show unwanted guests.
I have owned dogs and lived with Wolves, guess which I prefer?

Latest posts

Back