Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds Spring Planting Festival 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Egan

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Finally got my video up of Bakers Creek. If you don't know about Bakers Creek Seed it a really cool place to visit and you can buy a large variety of heirloom seeds no GMO's. Every year the have a spring planting festible the first Sunday and Monday in May with over 10,000 visitors I think they said. They also have things going on thru out the year,Closed on Saturdays as they are Seventh Day Adventist.

I really had a great time, I even met Barney Fife ( Terry Wayne Sanders) an entertainer from Branson Mo. I can't tell you all that went on but my video will give you a pretty good idea if anyone would like to consider visiting next year or even anytime of the year. Here is the link
Thanks for watching and God bless

We have plenty of seed for now but thanks for the info W.E..

I have watched a few videos from the festival by various homesteaders. There are many more that I will probably never watch because there are so many! Did you get to meet Prepsteader Bob and Mrs. B with the Self Reliant Road Show? I have seen a few of their videos from the festival and some of the people they met.

We have plenty of seed for now but thanks for the info W.E..

Thanks Meerkat, hope you enjoyed it.
I have watched a few videos from the festival by various homesteaders. There are many more that I will probably never watch because there are so many! Did you get to meet Prepsteader Bob and Mrs. B with the Self Reliant Road Show? I have seen a few of their videos from the festival and some of the people they met.

Thanks Weedygarden , hope you enjoyed. No didn't see the Self Reliant Road Show but will check them out. I did meet The Fit Farmer, he's a really cool guy.

Never been to the festival. But I've been buying a large % of my seed from them for years now. This year I was invited to particiapte in the initial seed trails from various growers around the country. I can't say enough good things about them.

Thanks Meerkat, hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks Weedygarden , hope you enjoyed. No didn't see the Self Reliant Road Show but will check them out. I did meet The Fit Farmer, he's a really cool guy.

W.E. I have lots of Bakers Creek Seeds in our freezer now. Hope they are still good my neighbor told me to freeze them so we did.

W.E. I have lots of Bakers Creek Seeds in our freezer now. Hope they are still good my neighbor told me to freeze them so we did.

Meerkat, I bought a bunch of seed this time it was $2.00 a pack for everything during the festival except for bulk packs of course,which is pretty reasonable, some seeds there are kinda pricey so I probably bought more then I need, I even bought weed seed lol, nettles. But I don't have any wild ones growing anywhere around that I know of, Trying some different kinds of perennials too. The only plant I bought was a comfrey plant that was big enough I split in two so I planted one at my place down by Bakers Creek and One here in Mid Missouri.

Meerkat, I bought a bunch of seed this time it was $2.00 a pack for everything during the festival except for bulk packs of course,which is pretty reasonable, some seeds there are kinda pricey so I probably bought more then I need, I even bought weed seed lol, nettles. But I don't have any wild ones growing anywhere around that I know of, Trying some different kinds of perennials too. The only plant I bought was a comfrey plant that was big enough I split in two so I planted one at my place down by Bakers Creek and One here in Mid Missouri.
Nettles-- I have only encountered them once in my life--last summer in Nebraska. My g grandfather's sister is buried in a cemetery. I had requested a photo of her headstone on FindaGrave and the report came back--no headstone. Okay, then I need to go and confirm that. There is a very large, overgrown and partially dead lilac bush overgrowing the large headstone with the family name. With the size and detail on the other stones there, she had to have one as well. I began breaking off dead branches on that lilac and see a stone poking out. I began pulling weeds in that area, and my cousin, who was with me said, "Pulling weeds and you might end up with poison ivy." Just then, my hand started tingling. Nettles. He helped me clear the stone and we were able to see her stone with her name on it.

What do people do with nettles? Are they problematic or do they have medicinal benefits?

W.E. sounds like you really got a bargain at the festival.:thumbs:

Are they problematic or do they have medicinal benefits?

Yes.

As you found out, they are a "pain". You can make tea out of them that is supposed to have a strong antifungal and antibacterial property. https://www.livestrong.com/article/440537-nettle-tea-benefits-and-warnings/

I've also read that you can use it in place of rennet in cheese making but I don't know of anyone who has tried it.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/cheese/make-nettle-rennet-cheesemaking/

W.E. sounds like you really got a bargain at the festival.:thumbs:
Hey Meerkat not only a good bargain but my wife, my son and his girlfriend all had a great time. My wife is the lady in blue who did't want to be in the video but kept getting in front of the camera somehow, lol I don't know how that happened, I'm completely innocent.

Terri, I know what they are like we had a big patch when I was a kid and was always getting stung till my Dad sprayed them with weed killer. Interesting about the rennet substitute I believe I heard that before but had forgotten until you mentioned it, thanks. I'm wanting goats and some highland cattle to put on my homestead so will be making some cheese. A speaking of cheese, have you ever tried Kerrygold Dubliner cheese? My absolute favorite. Supposedly its grass feed cows but I heard that's only until they get in the barn and they feed them grain while being milked. At least it comes from Ireland and I think they are against GMO's but I really don't know anything for sure.

Nettles-- I have only encountered them once in my life--last summer in Nebraska. My g grandfather's sister is buried in a cemetery. I had requested a photo of her headstone on FindaGrave and the report came back--no headstone. Okay, then I need to go and confirm that. There is a very large, overgrown and partially dead lilac bush overgrowing the large headstone with the family name. With the size and detail on the other stones there, she had to have one as well. I began breaking off dead branches on that lilac and see a stone poking out. I began pulling weeds in that area, and my cousin, who was with me said, "Pulling weeds and you might end up with poison ivy." Just then, my hand started tingling. Nettles. He helped me clear the stone and we were able to see her stone with her name on it.

What do people do with nettles? Are they problematic or do they have medicinal benefits?
Nice work, @Weedygarden !!! I use findagrave in my genealogical efforts too and have sometimes uncovered new branches in the family tree. Your hard work uncovering that headstone, can't say enough. Thank you for remembering your family roots.
As Terri said, yes, nettles are medicinal. The stinging nettle has been used for centuries. I've used it in combination teas mixed with other herbs when the family has come down with flu-like symptoms or bronchitis-like symptoms. I've also used it as a daily brew. It is not bitter or unpleasant tasting.

Nice work, @Weedygarden !!! I use findagrave in my genealogical efforts too and have sometimes uncovered new branches in the family tree. Your hard work uncovering that headstone, can't say enough. Thank you for remembering your family roots.
As Terri said, yes, nettles are medicinal. The stinging nettle has been used for centuries. I've used it in combination teas mixed with other herbs when the family has come down with flu-like symptoms or bronchitis-like symptoms. I've also used it as a daily brew. It is not bitter or unpleasant tasting.

Patch, I don't have any nettles but sure have been having some sinus and lung fluids this past month. It is better now except for water in my ears.
I think I'm goign to cut my hair,it is too much work to wash and now my ears get water in them when I wash my hair.
Something new to deal with an it ain't going to get better with age, oh well.:doghouse:

Latest posts

Back