Banana Jam

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Innkeeper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
we had a surplus of overripe bananas any my lovely bride as looking forward to trying something new. I found her a recipe for banana jam online. She made up a batch and it’s my new fav. Goes great on toast and PB for breakfast. I have never seen it in a store or at a farmers market so it was totally new to us

As requested, the recipe. If I know my Mrs she undoubtedly modified slightly to taste, for example she used less lemon juice but I am not sure how much.it is much like a butter in texture but. I like it

BANANA JAM

PREP TIME: 10 mins TOTAL TIME: 55 mins
SERVES: 10 YIELD: 10 jars

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 cups bananas, peeled and ripe
  • 6 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 ounces pectin
  • 6 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter
DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine bananas, lemon juice and 3 cups sugar in a pan and let stand 1 hour.
  2. After 1 hr, add remaining sugar and place pan over medium-high heat; stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Bring mix to a boil for two minutes.
  4. Remove pan from flame and skim off any foam.
  5. Place pan over heat again for 1 minute.
  6. boil.
  7. Again, remove and skim off foam.
  8. Add butter and bring mix to a boil again.
There was a page break so the numbers start again, but rather than renumber I left as is

DIRECTIONS
  1. Add pectin and stir constantly.
  2. Boil 1 minute.
  3. Skim off foam.
  4. Allow jam to cool for 7 min before adding to canning jars.
  5. Wipe jar edges with a clean cloth, place lids and screw on bands fingertip-tight.
  6. Close jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 min to create seal.
  7. Remove from water and place on a cloth-protected counter to cool undisturbed for 24 hours.
  8. Check for seal; re-process unsealed jars or refrigerate and use first.

Back