Banana Peels.. Other Compost.. ??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Horton

Old Bush Bear
Neighbor
In the ..feed the birds.. thread it was mentioned birds like banana peels.. Thinking about it, so did the chickens..

One thing I heard about.. Seen tried, but I can't say there was an obvious result that I could see...
Soak banana peels in water a day or two.. Use the water on garden plants.. It is supposed to be good for them..

One thing I have thought of to try is to keep a separate compost for banana peels, and ..fill in the blank.. kitchen scraps that would be more garden plant friendly.. Anyone done that ?? I have tried keeping compost working, but usually couldn't keep the bears out of it.. So I gave up on that..

Remember.. I am the Webster definition of ...black thumb..
Facts, details, experience, thoughts ??

I throw banana peels, coffee grounds, and egg shells directly into the garden. It all gets tilled under with leaves, straw, and rabbit poop each year. This time of year, the garden just finished, so it's all just dumped there. And wood ash from the stove. It'll get tilled in maybe in March.

Dad put the rhubarb in circles. (old tires). Every year I put a quart or two of coffee grounds, in each, and left over house plant soil to try to fill the tires. Egg shells get added occasionally. I just tossed in some crab shells and guts. Other fish parts get layered in as the opportunity arrises. Rhubarb doesn't allow tilling so everything gets tossed on top. Bananas get spread between rhubarb, raspberries, and the flowers. Now that I know about the deer, perhaps they aren't getting any bananas.

I throw banana peels, coffee grounds, and egg shells directly into the garden. It all gets tilled under with leaves, straw, and rabbit poop each year. This time of year, the garden just finished, so it's all just dumped there. And wood ash from the stove. It'll get tilled in maybe in March.
i do about the same. geoff lawton famous permaculture guru calls it chop and drop to build fertility. i do it for less work. no need to move and compost and move compost back to garden. by chopping and dropping and tillering stuff in it feeds the worms who deposit castings right in my garden where they are needed.some people keep worm bins and sift casting out for garden or worm tea. i just dont want to do that extra work. let the worms work for me right on spot.

OK... I messed up.. Never had any experience with deer eating banana peels.... However chickens do like them...

I also mixed course crushed egg shells into raised garden beds and compost piles.. Having read it supposedly is good for many garden plants.. Can't say I saw it make a noticeable difference, but I didn't want to try letting the chickens have egg shell to not encourage them to break eggs... Had that problem once.. Was a bugger to sort out the guilty hens and the work to ...harvest... them for the freezer and get flock replacements...

Latest posts

Back