Bandanas as a prep item

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I looked for a thread about bandanas, and didn't find one. I did see that they are mentioned in a few threads.

I ran across this image of uses for bandanas. I am mostly interested in utilitarian uses for bandanas. I do have a few in my bags.

Apparel--head covering--doo rag
Scarf
Belt
Rag jewelry for bracelets
Baby bibs
pet fashions
Embellish jeans
Make a girl's skirt
Outdoor & Active lifestyle
First aid bandage
Tourniquet
Face mask
Sweatband
Trail marker
Measuring tool
Craft and Entertainment
Sew together for a quilt
Cover a cigar box for a purse
Iron applique for t-shits
Doll clothes
Doll blankets
Embellish a tote or apron
Sew into summer shorts for boys
Spruce up tennis shoes
Wear as part of a costume
Scrapbook cover
Cover a lampshade
Embellish guest towels
Create a dorm bulletin board
Make a jewelry travel pouch
Create a child's footstool
Create a desk set
Make a Halloween treat bag
Home Decor
Place mat
Napkin
napkin ring
tablecloth
pillow cover
wall hanging
Sports banner
Chair back and cushion cover
Curtain valance
Tree skirt
Utilitarian
Hand rag
Luggage tag
Small towel
Handkerchief
Emergency diaper
Car window shade
Fancy gift wrap

Bandana uses.JPG

I have a couple that are rolled up and the middle section is filled with stuff like bean bag filler. You get it wet, throw it in the freezer for awhile and tie it around your neck when working out in the heat. Bandanas here are used for head coverings. Always white. I have some colorful ones. I put one on when I'm painting.

I have mutliples of them in every ghb/bob we have. In summer time I keep 2 on me. I use them for do rags all the time. Good for wiping sweat. Many other uses
I just got the wife and I silk bandanas. Suppose to be very warm when used as a scarf

I saw a young lady in her mid 20s that used a regular bandanna as a belt.
She ran it through the belt loops of her jeans and tied the ends with some left over.
She was not overly skinny either she just had very tiny waist.
I had to ask. My wife gave me the look. :)
Off topic

Small waist

Vera Ellen

Back on topic

I never found a bandana big enough for my head.

Ben

I have several, and there is at least one in all of our bags. The uses are endless.

Handkerchief
Neckerchief
Face Mask
Pot Holder
Head Band
Head Cover
Bandage
Sling
Foraging container

I used one as a doo rag when I was sailing. A triangular bandage is in every first aid kit I own and on every ambulance due to their versatility. Not too much different than a bandana, and a bandana can be used in place of a triangular bandage.

I always wear a rag a work. Since I lost my hair, the liner of my hard hat isn't too comfortable on my bald scalp, so the rag helps with that. I also keep a  shemagh, which is the typical Middle Eastern headwear, in my gear. The shemagh, also called a  kaffiyeh, is quite a bit larger than a bandanna and has multiple uses. They are particularly good for being caught in a dust storm because you can tie them to cover your head and face at the same time. The only drawback to the shemagh is that they get pretty hot on your head in humid heat like we have in the midwest...

Orange or red in green woods to signal for help, in a code of three.
Blue or Black in snow or bright colors like field of flowers.
I know one camper who cut a colored sheet into squares, because it was lite weight & could be used for a lot of different situation. I have never cut up a sheet for this use, but he may have got the ideal from the bandana.

I really struggle to find hats that are big enough!
I took my better half with me for a convention in Austin TX. She did sight seeing while I was in meetings but mage a point of buying me a cowboy hat. She had a hard time but eventually found one. 7 1/4 or 7 3/4 maybe?

Ben

Latest posts

Back