Barterability

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not want to trade guns or ammo to someone I thought hinkey. I wouldn't normally want to trade guns and ammo to anyone. If it came down to the point where I needed food, the the guns would go into the barter offerings.

Were the government going door to door looking for guns then yes, I'd trade them off. In Canada today there are foreign troops dresses as Canadian police. Trading to arm people that are fighting foreign invaders would be a reasonable option. No, I wouldn't say that I'd never barter guns or ammo.

... They would make great traps for squirrels if you need to catch them for food ...

Lean a nice sized tree limb against a tree at a 45 degree angle. Squirrels love running up limbs. Along the limb put several snares. Squirrel will hang itself trying to get unsnared.

Lean a nice sized tree limb against a tree at a 45 degree angle. Squirrels love running up limbs. Along the limb put several snares. Squirrel will hang itself trying to get unsnared.
I use rat traps here in the South East. Squirrels are not as Up in Indiana when I was young. Just bought some polyurethane yesterday to give some new ones a protective coat.

Vices, like cigarettes and candy, esp. M&Ms.

Chocolate is important so even more shelf-stable chocolate like cocoa powder or chocolate pudding mix (can be used as a substitute in baking).

Mouse traps are a good idea, by the way.

Chocolate is important so even more shelf-stable chocolate like cocoa powder or chocolate pudding mix (can be used as a substitute in baking).

I love your post about chocolate as a bartering item. If this had been a real SHTF event my wife would have gotten nervous and eaten every thing that even resembles chocolate... No chocolate would not last long enough around to make it to round 1 bartering.

Now, booze, that has a shelf life and would be good for barter, unless I get real nervous.... I like the mouse traps and snares approaches.

I love your post about chocolate as a bartering item. If this had been a real SHTF event my wife would have gotten nervous and eaten every thing that even resembles chocolate... No chocolate would not last long enough around to make it to round 1 bartering.

Now, booze, that has a shelf life and would be good for barter, unless I get real nervous.... I like the mouse traps and snares approaches.

LOL, but your post confirms that it would be a high demand item among anxiety-ridden civilians.

My dad always though chocolate coins would be a great barter item. I think he figured it was probably worth more than the USD as far as currency equivalent goes. Ha ha ha.

Bolts, nails, screws, wire, files all manner of every thing , not that long ago pioneers would burn down there Shack to recover the nails, Decent sewing thread. Skip a meal out, and use the savings for something substantial. and as I have said for years, learn skills. watch 3rd world methods of doing things.

Tobacco
Hear in NC it is everywhere. They lose more along the road hauling it to the drying barns than I smoke in a year. I have a good friend that grew up here and grew tobacco. (Im from Northern Ohio and Indiana)
I could grow tobacco and process it for pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco. (I have lots of pipes.). I also thought about my relatives in Northern Indiana. It would be nothing for me to haul 100-200lbs up to them. It would be very valuable for them. And that much tobacco goes a LONG way. They could get some cheap China pipes off of Amazon to sell too.
My friend is coming over tomorrow so we will talk about it.

Tobacco
Hear in NC it is everywhere. They lose more along the road hauling it to the drying barns than I smoke in a year. I have a good friend that grew up here and grew tobacco. (Im from Northern Ohio and Indiana)
I could grow tobacco and process it for pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco. (I have lots of pipes.). I also thought about my relatives in Northern Indiana. It would be nothing for me to haul 100-200lbs up to them. It would be very valuable for them. And that much tobacco goes a LONG way. They could get some cheap China pipes off of Amazon to sell too.
My friend is coming over tomorrow so we will talk about it.
I have grown tobacco but never got around to charing it which I understand takes 2 years?

I do have a few varieties of tobacco seeds in the freezer just in case.

Ben

The Princess has at least one 5 gal bucket if chocolate chips. I know it is a baking day when there are multiple 5 gal buckets in the kitchen. ;)

Ben

The Princess has at least one 5 gal bucket if chocolate chips. I know it is a baking day when there are multiple 5 gal buckets in the kitchen. ;)

Ben

Okay so that made me a little jealous. Ha ha ha.

Anyone know how long chocolate chips would last in a 5 gal. bucket with mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Asking for a friend <.<

I have grown tobacco but never got around to charing it which I understand takes 2 years?

I do have a few varieties of tobacco seeds in the freezer just in case.

Ben
Charing? Never heard of that. It is cured in bulk tobacco barns here. You may be talking about burly tobacco that is hung by the stalk and dried.

Okay so that made me a little jealous. Ha ha ha.

Anyone know how long chocolate chips would last in a 5 gal. bucket with mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Asking for a friend <.<
Sorry, I don't know in years, but a very long time - there is very little choc. in them & sugar and chemicals keep a long time.

Unsweetened in the freezer lasts a really long time (at least 2-3 years.)

Hmm. At least 2-3 years? *tap tap* I'm pondering whether I should buy a bulk load of them now. My mom's been wanting chocolate chips for her baking supplies. Looks like the darker the chocolate the longer it lasts. I think I might. . .I think I might just get some.

My mom like chocolate wafers for making her own chocolate too, but those are pricier v.v

Is there such a thing as excess guns and ammo? I have never heard of such a thing.

Remember you can never be too rich, too thin, or have to much ammunition.

I would concur with what others have said. I would not even consider bartering guns or ammunition. You don't know where they will end up, and they could be used against you.

Remember you can never be too rich, too thin, or have to much ammunition.

I would concur with what others have said. I would not even consider bartering guns or ammunition. You don't know where they will end up, and they could be used against you.
Funny story....Ok not really.
Many years ago when things weren't so tight when it came to guns. I sold my Desert Eagle .50 to a guy from the Mid East. He was a store keeper across the street from the PD. We saw and did business with him all the time.
Well...I guess he had an angry streak. After he killed his wife by cutting her throat and setting the house on fire, I pulled one of the SBI agents aside and discreetly told him that the Desert Eagle they found would be coming back to me and to not make a public announcement of it.
He did ask if I wanted it back and I thought about it pretty hard but in the end I saw nothing but trouble coming from it so told them to keep it.

He did ask if I wanted it back and I thought about it pretty hard but in the end I saw nothing but trouble coming from it so told them to keep it.

Probably a wise choice. If the guy was that deranged God knows what he might have done with the gun while he had it.

Cocoa & powdered sugar, powdered milk or maybe a cow/goat for milk, would be a treat.
Then tooth brush & floss to keep the kids teeth clean, you could mop up.
Diatomaceous earth to treat for mites, fleas & ticks & chicken can clean up, also.

Latest posts

Back