bathtub question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonya123

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Maybe someone has an idea for this, since many on here do a lot of home improvements
So we have a tub with tile around it in the bathroom. There is a large gap between the edge of tub and the tile ( half inch to an inch) . I keep putting different things in that gap and nothing stays there because it gets wet. Any ideas what I could use there? I don't care what it looks like, I just want it sealed so no mice or rats from below can get in, and the tile doesn't get more damaged, one is already cracked. Plus cold comes in there also, there is a crawlspace under the house there. It is way too big for just regular bathroom caulking.

Look at PVC quarter round or InstaTrim. Glue it in place (unless it comes with adhesive) then finish as needed with caulk.

Something like this but it comes in a variety of shapes/designs and sizes.

1699374340638.png

Go under the house and duct tape over the floor where the crack is, go back in the bathroom and fill the crack with Gorilla brand foaming cement and lay down a strip of PVC and put a brick on it to let it dry straight.

Go under the house and duct tape over the floor where the crack is, go back in the bathroom and fill the crack with Gorilla brand foaming cement and lay down a strip of PVC and put a brick on it to let it dry straight.
that sounds like a great idea actually! I might not even need the duct tape, not sure it is going all the way through, might be wood underneath where the tile ends

Look at PVC quarter round or InstaTrim. Glue it in place (unless it comes with adhesive) then finish as needed with caulk.

Something like this but it comes in a variety of shapes/designs and sizes.

View attachment 119224
This and then seal it with waterproof sealant. You can get it in a tube that works in a caulk gun, or buy it in a tube that you squeeze it out of with your fingers.

that sounds like a great idea actually! I might not even need the duct tape, not sure it is going all the way through, might be wood underneath where the tile ends
You need the tape, that stuff expands with decent force! You might also just put a piece of wax paper and a board on top and peel up the paper in an hour or two.

If you have to use caulking or adhesive, make sure you clean the areas to be caulked with acetone, it gets rid of anything that will keep the caulking from adhering, that has always been an issue, especially when using a silicone based caulking.

Yes, a picture would really help. Curious, is the tub fiberglass or cast iron? Older homes might have either, 60's 70's furnishings. Reason i ask... my bath needed help, build in 74. The tub looked modern but was cast iron, impossible to move a tiny bit when trying to seal the old flooring and front edge.

Finally replaced it, had to use a chain hoist and a come-along to get it out... and 5 guys. Have a walk in shower now that's great. When i was having serious health issues i could sit a chair in there, plenty of room. The shower head can be hand held or hang on a mount. The flexible hose was little too short to use in a chair easily.

So, I threaded a short pipe with both male/female ends. Same size as the flex hose fittings. Then I extended the hose by adding a 2nd one. Now the shower head can reach anywhere in the shower, handy for cleaning the shower too! 😁

Good idea, but you have to go to an industrial supply to get it here.
A couple of tubes of JB weld might do it.. you can wet your fingers and smooth it before it dries or just do the wax paper thing and sand it.

Yes, a picture would really help. Curious, is the tub fiberglass or cast iron? Older homes might have either, 60's 70's furnishings. Reason i ask... my bath needed help, build in 74. The tub looked modern but was cast iron, impossible to move a tiny bit when trying to seal the old flooring and front edge.
We have an old farmhouse built in the 40s, but the tub looks like one of those fiberglass one piece things they put in place. Problem is nothing is even in the house, so there are uneven gaps everywhere. It is in no way suitable for anyone handicapped. Want to know what I did when I first had my accident? I sat on a chair outside in the backyard and hosed off....( with a trash bag wrapped around my cast), good thing it was summer

We have an old farmhouse built in the 40s, but the tub looks like one of those fiberglass one piece things they put in place. Problem is nothing is even in the house, so there are uneven gaps everywhere. It is in no way suitable for anyone handicapped. Want to know what I did when I first had my accident? I sat on a chair outside in the backyard and hosed off....( with a trash bag wrapped around my cast), good thing it was summer
My concern is water may have already caused structural damage. Is the tub stable? Does it shift when you get in it?

Ben

bathroom is fixed, I will post photos when I download them
I used the spray foam with brick on top. A little stuck to the brick but it looks pretty well sealed. I put gorrilla glue caulking on top of that ( waterproof) and I ordered some waterproof tape to go on that.
Does the floor smell musty? Sure sign there is sub-floor or joist damage. Might be the time to upgrade, new sub-floor, leveling compound on top... then sealing the tub is easy.
that is entirely more work than I wanted to do LOL
we put the subfloor and tile on it when we moved in. They had nasty old vinyl before. Wood did not look rotten under it

Latest posts

Back