Bears especially dangerous this time of year....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and they are INSANE about bulking up on calories. The drive transcends all normal bear-thoughts and cautions are thrown to the wind.

Same thing for snakes...they are more active in the early fall as well.

A couple of years ago there were three people killed by bears within one or two hours drive from our home. One gal was a good friend of the daughter of our friends. It was a little close to home in more than one way.

I glad I've never had to deal with those critters. When I was a kid the fish & game people released a subspecies of florida black bears here. They were brown and smaller than regular black bears. They didn't last... reason unkown.

Snakes have been moving for 3 weeks now, killed a copperhead already. Day before yesterday I went to one of my favorite places which is also known for large numbers of cottonmouths... I wanted to walk downstream to the old mill site but I was seeing snake trails everywhere on the sandy banks. I didn't even get my feet wet, got back in my truck and left, to dangerous when alone and 2 miles from a paved road.

This is what the place looks like...

S Farm 02.jpg

They are not any more dangerous than any other time if year. There are just more people in the woods (see the words hunters) this time of year so chances are greater for an encounter.

When are you going to be more dangerous, just before hibernation or just after when you wake up hungry?

All you have to do is be near a kill.

I was going to say something along the lines of what @Cnsper said. We had lots of bear up the mountain. Typically, this time of year they were more concerned about the fruit in front of them than people. We had them in our yard semi-regularly. They might be in a fruit tree and you could walk right by and not even know they are there. (They will nap or hang out in trees at times.) They are usually as afraid of people as people are of them and try to get away rather than attack. There are a lot of stupid people out there. If I had my drathers, I would prefer to run into one in the fall as opposed to the spring. A sow with cubs is not a critter to be reckoned with.

Many years ago Dad was in the hospital. In the next bed was a victim of bear attack. The bear chewed on the guy who played dead. The bear left and went into the woods. The guy waited a bit and then tried to leave. The bear came back and chewed on him some more. This scenario repeated a few times. The bear would go back into the woods where it could watch him and then attack if he moved. The victim was pretty messed up.

When they do that they are playing. It is terrifying to experience, but the best solution is don't move. I once had a large male Alaska Coastal Brown Bear on top of me for about nine or ten minutes. Neither of us got hurt. https://www.homesteadingforum.org/t...ig-grizzly-bear-on-top-of-me.1818/#post-44834

Many years ago Dad was in the hospital. In the next bed was a victim of bear attack. The bear chewed on the guy who played dead. The bear left and went into the woods. The guy waited a bit and then tried to leave. The bear came back and chewed on him some more. This scenario repeated a few times. The bear would go back into the woods where it could watch him and then attack if he moved. The victim was pretty messed up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back