Bee info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I looked for a general Bee thread and didn't find one. We are pretty new to bees but I wanted to share some info. Maybe it's common knowledge, but in case it isn't. An old timer told my wife to bang a metal pan on when they bees swarm. I don't know the scientific reasoning but it makes them all land. Our hive was swarming this morning and she did it for about a minute. Within a few more minutes they had all settled into a bee ball on the tree. Supposedly they will remain there for several hours. This is the second time my wife has done this and it works. She shook the limb and they fell right into the box.
KIMG3622.JPG
KIMG3623.JPG

I had bees for a few years, never heard of banging a pan. Sounds interesting, bees are funny little creatures. Seem to do strange things for even stranger reasons.

Your wife seems to have a knack for bees. Most people don't, I didn't. Took a couple years to figure out that bees aren't for me.

It does seem a good year for bees. My friends down the road bought hives and frames from me, got 5 swarms in a week and ran out of hives.

Latest posts

Back