Best Bow drill fire making Technique? Possible Game Changer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched Cody Lundin and all the other survival guys make fire with primitive methods and I just can't get into it. I know this would be a great skill to have, but there's just so many other ways to make fire that I don't see the need. Now, making a good tinder bundle and understanding how to put kindling together to build a good fire is another story. I practice that stuff. Not as much as I should, but still...

i agree getting a coal or just using a lighter etc to start a fire and getting a bit of flame is only part. i have seen lots of times folks cant get it past that phase,show me how you can continue on with process of fire building and get it to point of bed of coals and onward from there feeding it and sustaining that fire.

I agree with spikedriver. I wear glasses, All i need is SUN and I have a fire

BUT. knowing how to build a fire using a stick could be useful if you were in that situation
Lol I tried starting a fire with my glasses once on a nice sunny day. I couldn't do it. A pocket magnifier is a different story, and I need to go pick a few of those up and practice doing it. I haven't tried that in years and it would be worthwhile to try it when it doesn't hurt anything if I fail...

I've practiced Bow Drill methods with everything from fully prepped hearth boards and drills to nothing but a knife all the way to nothing but natural resources using rocks to shape the hearth board and drill point and woven foliage for the bow (very time consuming).

It's been a while since I've done any of those and really should dust off that skill (or break off the rust...).

While 99% of the time, I'm within arms reach of more effective and easier fire starting methods, it doesn't hurt to be able to use a bow drill as well.

Short of a modern method of fire starting, lighter, matches, etc, a bow drill is a reliable method of starting a fire. Yeah I keep modern methods on hand, but staying somewhat current with old style methods are just another tool to use if needed. Sometimes I find it relaxing to try something old style.

Latest posts

Back