? ? ? Best brand of power tools ? ? ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 3/4" Milwaukee hammer drill that is a beast when it comes to concrete, or anything hard that needs a hole in it. Best part... it was free, brand new in a metal box with a metal tray insert, that had a nice selection of masonry bits. I've had it for 25yrs, still going strong.

Most of my power tools are Milwaukee or Dewalt.

Last edited:
Reading the last comment reminded me of breaking the wheel studs off an 89 Jeep Cherokee many years ago with my dewalt. It's amazingly small and lite for the power it has.

If it needs 3/4" power, it needs pneumatic tools. We've got a 1/2" corded Dewalt on the farm for jobs like drilling into concrete. Other than having to run extension cords, it works great...
the 3/4 B&D is a portable corded drill, it goes slow enough to run big hole saws in steel, which is where it gets most of its exercise, and before anybody tells me that a torch is better, it's not, time you cut a hole melt a bunch of stuff, clean up said hole, I will have hole sawed and put tools away etc.

the 3/4 B&D is a portable corded drill, it goes slow enough to run big hole saws in steel, which is where it gets most of its exercise, and before anybody tells me that a torch is better, it's not, time you cut a hole melt a bunch of stuff, clean up said hole, I will have hole sawed and put tools away etc.

I'll use a saw, drill, cut off wheel, grinder or any possible method before a torch myself. I prefer the clean straight cuts.

I don't think I've ever used a hole saw on steel. We torch rail all the time at work though. That's a trip when it's really hot. Cut out 6 inches of rail, and watch it close right back up again due to thermal expansion. Once the expansion stops the torched ends must be cut out with an abrasive rail saw. That one's hydraulic.

You'd be amazed how much rail can expand or contract with temp changes. +/- 6" per 1400 feet of rail...

I don't think I've ever used a hole saw on steel. We torch rail all the time at work though. That's a trip when it's really hot. Cut out 6 inches of rail, and watch it close right back up again due to thermal expansion. Once the expansion stops the torched ends must be cut out with an abrasive rail saw. That one's hydraulic.

You'd be amazed how much rail can expand or contract with temp changes. +/- 6" per 1400 feet of rail...
Interesting we got to cutting rail, Some how I ended up with a power hacksaw designed for rail cutting, it must have been for end trims, because of the afore mentioned expansion, It is a nice piece of machinery, it had a 5 HP gas engine on it. there was a gas powered drill for the joint bolts also, but that never came into my collection, it had flat bits, rather than around twist style.

Interesting we got to cutting rail, Some how I ended up with a power hacksaw designed for rail cutting, it must have been for end trims, because of the afore mentioned expansion, It is a nice piece of machinery, it had a 5 HP gas engine on it. there was a gas powered drill for the joint bolts also, but that never came into my collection, it had flat bits, rather than around twist style.
The drills used now are hydraulic, and the high speed ones are attached to a pump jug with coolant in it so you don't have to squirt coolant on the bit by hand. The old low speed drills are still used on small size rail, you have to take a bottle of water or other coolant and apply it to the bit while drilling. The newer ones are really slick but damn those things are heavy...

New grinder had landed when I got home today. Still waiting on the batteries. It feels nice and solid. I slapped one of my existing batteries in it to try the motor even though I didn't have anything on it. Couldn't really tell anything from that other than it's a LOT heavier than I expected and louder with a real high pitch. Not to happy about the real loud high pitch! Doesn't sound like a problem just the way it was made is my guess.... Bad thing is I HATE loud!!!!!!!!!!! It's also kind a longer than expected. Whenever I get the chance to test it out for real I'll report back but it may not be until after the new year.

New grinder had landed when I got home today. Still waiting on the batteries. It feels nice and solid. I slapped one of my existing batteries in it to try the motor even though I didn't have anything on it. Couldn't really tell anything from that other than it's a LOT heavier than I expected and louder with a real high pitch. Not to happy about the real loud high pitch! Doesn't sound like a problem just the way it was made is my guess.... Bad thing is I HATE loud!!!!!!!!!!! It's also kind a longer than expected. Whenever I get the chance to test it out for real I'll report back but it may not be until after the new year.
I have a Dewalt cordless grinder on my wishlist but did not purchase yet because ...

I own 4 or 5 of the HF corded grinders that cover my needs. At $15 each i still one or 2 still new in the box with one in the shop another in the Jeep and one missing the nut to hold the wheel in place.

The main reason I would want the cordless one is if I need a grinder where there wasn't any power or the power cord is getting in my way. My brother did say they eat batteries.

Ben

I had a Dewalt grinder on my list. None available local. Wife got me a circular saw instead. She got the full kit, battery, charger, and bag to carry it in.I'll use it a lot more any way.
i have of those as well. While not as gutsy as my old Skill saw, I like not having to worry about cutting through the cord. I will often wrap the cord around my arm and string it behind my head around my other arm and then behind me to keep the cord out of the road.

Ben

Same here. Also be nice to be able to work in area's with no power available without dragging a generator around.
The circular saw is a great tool. The Sawzall is even better. Other than the drills, that's the one that gets the most use on our farm both indoors and outdoors. We hack a lot of stuff up, even clear brush with it...

The circular saw is a great tool. The Sawzall is even better. Other than the drills, that's the one that gets the most use on our farm both indoors and outdoors. We hack a lot of stuff up, even clear brush with it...
Not long ago my brother and I pulled up at 5he remodel place to find a neighbor bent out of shape because a tree came down threatening the service entrance to a house. My brother ran the chainsaw and I used the sawsall and made sort order of taking down the tree. Both Dewalt 20v cordless. The neighbor was happy.

Ben

Cordless tools have come leaps and bounds in the last 20 years! As to corded grinders I have 3 HF's 1 Hitachi 2 Dewalt's . Of the 3 HF only 1 still partly works it needs another new cord and probably another set of new brushes. Hitachi needs bearings but I think the head has egged out. One Dewalt has a stripped gear head and the other is just plain OLD and tired seeing as I bought it when I was 18 or maybe 19. I'll be putting a cord on the HF shortly and I have one more set of brushes for it. When doing jobs like the one coming up I need 3 or more grinders going. One to cut with one to grind with and one with a wire cup for cleaning with. Depending on how the new cordless one does will decide if I get another or one with a cord. Living and working off grid really increases my appreciation for cordless tools. I can't wait until I can justify the cost of a new battery chainsaw. Hoping that battery tech makes another jump before that happens.

Sawzall was on the list too.
I've got a Binford 8200 Sawzall (actually a Milwaukee). This sucker is powerful, and about the size of a school bus. I was doing some plumbing in our unfinished basement and had to reach overhead to cut a 2" PVC drain pipe (it was hopelessly clogged - easier to cut the section out and replace it than other repair methods). That sawzall went through it like it wasn't even there! I thought I was going to swing the thing down into my leg. I was not expecting a lot of resistance to the cut, but what I got was NO resistance. Nada. I learned to really respect that sawzall after that. Previous to this learning experience I had thought of sawzalls as relatively gentle and benign things, as far as power tools go (just keep your fingers away from the blade). Nope. This one is a powerful beast! I treat it more like a chainsaw now.

I've got a Binford 8200 Sawzall (actually a Milwaukee). This sucker is powerful, and about the size of a school bus. I was doing some plumbing in our unfinished basement and had to reach overhead to cut a 2" PVC drain pipe (it was hopelessly clogged - easier to cut the section out and replace it than other repair methods). That sawzall went through it like it wasn't even there! I thought I was going to swing the thing down into my leg. I was not expecting a lot of resistance to the cut, but what I got was NO resistance. Nada. I learned to really respect that sawzall after that. Previous to this learning experience I had thought of sawzalls as relatively gentle and benign things, as far as power tools go (just keep your fingers away from the blade). Nope. This one is a powerful beast! I treat it more like a chainsaw now.
They really are awesome things, aren't they? I've recycled a lot of scrap lumber out of derilict outbuildings simply by hacking it out with a Sawzall and cutting it to length later.

They don't work so good on treated Bridge timber though. Sawzall blades just won't handle that. Learned that lesson the hard way...

Still waiting on my batteries to show up. They once again got delivered to the wrong address. This happens with nearly 100% of packages that come here in the mail. The good news is they found them and are supposed to bring them today, only 10 days late. Dagon mail has gotten almost as bad as fed ex you can count on them screwing up before you even place your order. Thankfully UPS delivers correctly and on time 99% of the time.

I did get to make 3 cuts in 5/8ths cable with a cutoff wheel on the new grinder. It doesn't seem to lack any for power or speed of cut. I'll know a lot more after I get some real use time on it here in the next couple weeks provided the weather will cooperate.

We will start cutting campers apart to salvage the frames for the sawmill build this week if the weather cooperates. Then we will know if it's a keeper or shelf rider...

Hubs has some Dewalt tools, but most of them are Milwaukee. I LOVE the Milwaukee products. I've never had a problem with any of them or the batteries. I use the fan every night. I have 3 of them b/c they are so awesome. I just got hubs a Milwaukee vacuum so that he can easily clean out his trucks and equipment without the need for an extension cord. He hasn't used it yet though.

I just used the Milwaukee chainsaw for the first time today. That thing is awesome! It's really quiet and I don't need anyone to start if for me. Hubs said the only Milwaukee tool he doesn't really like is the grease gun. He says it doesn't pump very fast and prefers his Dewalt for that. Although for impact guns, Milwaukee is hands down his go to. Since we have so many Milwaukee products, we also have lots of chargers and batteries, so if something runs out of charge we have lots of batteries ready to roll.

We use the Milwaukee leaf blower in the summer all the time. I'm still waiting on a gift card from Northern Tool when my order ships and then I'm going to buy the weed wacker. It'll be nice to not struggle with starting the gas one.

I have some Craftsman with cords & I used DeWalt at work. My son loves Milwaukee, so that’s all I buy now.

Used this again today for a few cuts. Still haven't used enough for a true evaluation. I will say I've had corded grinders in my hands that didn't have as much power. I'll know more after I get several hours on it not just a few random cuts here and there.

One thing I will say I love the fact it's cordless, so handy to grab and go no more getting cords and generators out.

Over the years I have collected an oddball assortment of corded and uncorded tools. When I bought my Alaskan homestead, it also had an eclectic, oddball mix of corded and uncorded tool. Between what I had already and what came with the property, I think I have some tools from every company mentioned above.

Among all the oddball item, the property had an unopened box of a set of 5 DeWalts 20V cordless tools. So all subsequent purchases for cordless tools have been DiWalt with one exception. I've been very happy with the DeWalts and I have been standardizing around this brand. Not necessarily better and certainly not worse than others. But I think they are solid and it is good to have a common brand that simplifies what batteries I need to buy. I have been impressed with the quality and variety.

The one exception as indicated above are a RYOBI 18V ONE+ system weed eater and chainsaw that I bought for my wife for her birthday as a lighter weight alternative to her heavier gas power Stihls. The dang batteries only last for about 15 minutes, and they look and feel cheap. I recommend avoiding RYOBI 18V ONE+ system tools. While the chainsaw is okay with the 15 minute battery limitation, the weed eater seriously underperforms and is almost useless.

Used this again today for a few cuts. Still haven't used enough for a true evaluation. I will say I've had corded grinders in my hands that didn't have as much power. I'll know more after I get several hours on it not just a few random cuts here and there.

One thing I will say I love the fact it's cordless, so handy to grab and go no more getting cords and generators out.
Which brand?

I lost track...

Ben

I recently bought a Dewalt cordless framing nailer. That's the best tool ever, next to my cordless drills. I remember the olden days of putting in screws with a screw driver, by hand! And driving nails with a hammer.
I've had good luck with Dewalt tools.

I recently bought a Dewalt cordless framing nailer. That's the best tool ever, next to my cordless drills. I remember the olden days of putting in screws with a screw driver, by hand! And driving nails with a hammer.
I've had good luck with Dewalt tools.

Thanks I'll be needing to check those out. Have to see if Milwaukee makes one. lol

Latest posts

Back