Bicycles

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If and when the grid goes down, we may be left with no gas or diesel and then what? Let's discuss bicycles as an alternative. The problem for older people is that some are not in the best of shape. For me, the injury I got when I fell down stairs at the age of twenty makes a bicycle seat a pain in the rear, really!

But there are possibilities! There happen to be many variations on bicycles these days. They can have fat tires. They can have cargo spaces built right in. They can have electronic set ups for charging phones, etc. They be electronic, requiring no pedaling for about an hour. There are some that are not bicycles with two tires, but have three or four tires, but require pedaling to move them.

A friend of mine, a guy who I don't know very well, has an electronic bike. I do know he, like me, is concerned about the state of the world, bugging out, survival. I looked at his bike this morning and could not find any identifying brand on it. He has saddle bags, a place for his phone on the handle bars, lights, and more than I didn't get a good look at. He can pedal it, or let it run itself. I told him that I covet his bike because I do.

It looks similar to this, and this one could go into the back of a vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bik...or-recreation&sprefix=electric+bicycle&sr=1-2

We have bicycles but we can't seem to keep air in the tires for love nor money. Every time we use them we have to pump up the tires. When we used our bikes everyday as kids we never had to pump up the tires.

Weedy, you are right. They are a great asset in a grid down situation or if gas and diesel are not available. You can get trailers, usually designed for childgren, but if you had to bug out it would be very useful.

I won't bother moving mine. I can walk to the 3 stores in town, anything else is a 11+ mile ride, and odds are you won't find anything there.

2 electrics, both 10+years old. A Merida pedal assist, and a DIY electric. Somebody wants to come to around Cincinnati,, they can be yours for free :p

Last edited:
We have bicycles but we can't seem to keep air in the tires for love nor money. Every time we use them we have to pump up the tires. When we used our bikes everyday as kids we never had to pump up the tires.

Weedy, you are right. They are a great asset in a grid down situation or if gas and diesel are not available. You can get trailers, usually designed for childgren, but if you had to bug out it would be very useful.
You are right about the tires. I remember going to the Farmer's Union when I was a kid to refill my tires. It was about 5 blocks from home and we could push our bikes there.

I have a wheel barrow that had a flat tire anytime I wanted to use it, so I purchased a tire pump so I could fill it up. I have since replaced that tire with a hard one that doesn't use air.

People who do any amount of bike riding have kits for their bikes. Daughter rode in RAGBRAI a couple times and has a kit that she can keep on her bike.

What could we keep for bike repair kits? Patches, glue for the patches, pumps, spare tubes, spare tires. The chains break, they come off.

I wonder if you purchased a spare tire, how long would it be good without being on your bike, of course, keeping it in the dark to prevent sun damage. I'm thinking if we were to start riding bikes more, we need to have spares, but how long would they last, as spares?

I like the electric foldable bike. Nice!

I bought the foldable (non electric) one in this thread and have only used it once. I sleep better knowing I have it as an option though b/c it is comfortable to ride. It's mostly for me to put in my car if I go long distances away from home. Having a bike vs. walking home would make a huge difference, even if it's only 50 miles. It would allow me to get home in one day vs. having to spend the night somewhere. Spending less time out in the unknown would be pivotal.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/foldable-bike-for-emergency-transportation.17993/
I bought a spare tire, tire fix it kit, tool kit, inflator, etc. I also have head lamps, rain gear, gloves, water, snacks etc. in my backpack in the car. If I needed to, I'd grab my pack, put the bike accessories in the basket, grab anything in the car that would be useful, and start peddelling home.

I like the electric foldable bike. Nice!

I bought the foldable (non electric) one in this thread and have only used it once. I sleep better knowing I have it as an option though b/c it is comfortable to ride. It's mostly for me to put in my car if I go long distances away from home. Having a bike vs. walking home would make a huge difference, even if it's only 50 miles. It would allow me to get home in one day vs. having to spend the night somewhere. Spending less time out in the unknown would be pivotal.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/foldable-bike-for-emergency-transportation.17993/
I bought a spare tire, tire fix it kit, tool kit, inflator, etc. I also have head lamps, rain gear, gloves, water, snacks etc. in my backpack in the car. If I needed to, I'd grab my pack, put the bike accessories in the basket, grab anything in the car that would be useful, and start peddelling home.
Thanks for reminding me of that thread. I looked for a thread about bikes and didn't find one. I do see people out riding foldable bikes. I think they are a good investment. Two is one and one is none!

I like the e-bike idea but I don't trust them. There are too many stories of the batteries catching on fire, particularly when charging. If you had a separate shed to store and charge them, perhaps.

My grandparents, and half the old farts at their trailer park had a tricycle. They loved it for short trips around the park or to the grocery store. Theirs had a basket, behind the seat, that you could put a couple bags of groceries in.

Personally, I've wanted a DiBlasi scooter for over a couple decades.
https://www.diblasi.com
They also make e-bikes and e-trikes, some with seats that may fit you better @Weedygarden.
https://diblasi.store
P.S. ALL THEIR BIKES ARE FOLDABLE.

Good bikes are pricey. The $189 bike at Walmart isn't that great. I've slacked off riding somewhat, but this is what I know:

Get the bike fitted to you. It's going to be much easier to ride if it's right for you. That means going to an actual bike shop, or having a very experienced rider help you out.

Get an air pump. Not the tiny handheld one that goes in the tool kit. Those are just made to get enough air in the tires to make it somewhere that has a real pump. I have a cheaper one that has a wide base to stand on while I pump. It's very steady and it'll push a lot of air.

For SHTF I'd just carry spare tubes and a tire tool. Tubes are light and don't take much space when folded up. With a bike tire tool it only takes a few minutes to change out a tube.

Ride the bike. First, if your body isn't used to riding, you ain't getting far. You'll wear out fast. SHTF isn't going to be a nice flat paved bike trail. If you're not in half decent riding shape you'll end up pushing the bike everywhere. Even if you are in decent shape, you're probably not in as good shape as you think you are. Hills will humble you real quick.

Those child carrier trailers are only rated for 100 lbs or less. Most are 60 or less. They work, but if you aren't on a nice paved surface Those skinny tires are a detriment.

Get your seat right. Different seats fit different butts, and angles make a big difference. You won't last long in the saddle if your genitals go numb from pressure on the nerves behind your taint. I've experienced this, and it's very uncomfortable. Imagine that numb pins and needles feeling in your privates. It'll stop you real quick.

Get a helmet and a headlamp. A flasher for the back of your head is a good idea too. Padded gloves protect the hands. Padded bike shorts will help your bum stay comfortable.

A SHTF bike is a great idea, but they are limited. A 125 scooter is probably more practical. Some of them get over 100mpg. They can go 40mph and carry more weight. Some can even do light off roading, like the Honda Trail 125 or Honda ADV 160. They'll stretch a limited fuel supply out for a long time...

Bias disclaimer: I used to race mountain bikes in the late nineties. Loved it! Also owned a road bike for cross training and a nice cannon dale tandem for a few years. My last bike was a $2500 full suspension Klein. Always done all my own mechanics. And some of my buddies too (would work for beer)...

For the past three years, I've had a Chinese made Amazon popular an cheer electric 250w. Love it and ride it almost every day. Had one major failure in about 3000 miles. A bonding strip inside the battery failed from all the vibration. The roads and trails around the farm are extremely rough. Sometimes high vibration from the tractor chevron tire impressions. Those are the worst!

Anyway, I'm amazed at how much more you get for the money from twenty years ago. Browse some YouTube videos. What I did. Found a person who did long term reviews of actual use and I was sold.

About the sensational battery explosions: don't let that scare you. Just be mindful when recharging. What makes headlines is the exception not the rule.

About tires: I must live in goathead Capitol of the world? I even got so desperate as to ride solid for a while. If you have that inclination, first pump your tires to the max, then pump 10 psi over max and go for a ride and try it. It grows negative if you get off the smooth pavement very quickly. What I have found is berry mans sealant. It's latex based, lasts for ten years and works in all temperatures. Still had a few flats in past three years, but simple as pumping it back up and riding it.

For my wheelbarrow, bought a boat trailer tire for it ten years ago. Problem solved for about half price of solid and keeps advantages of pneumatic tire!

About the sensational battery explosions: don't let that scare you. Just be mindful when recharging. What makes headlines is the exception not the rule.
Could you be more specific when you say to be mindful when charging. What can they do to be safer if they go the E-bike path. Excuse the pun.

I know it is a low probability but bike fires are real. Let me inject a little of my perspective. I walked away from a midair collision. Everyone on our plane lived, everyone on the helicopter died. The sobering part is knowing that I have the same odds of being in a midair every time I board an aircraft as I had that day. I still fly but I don't have any illusions about the odds protecting me. How can we improve the odds, even more, where e-bikes are concerned.

This is a pedi-cab, owned by a woman I know. I didn't get a very good photo because I was wrangling a dog at the same time I was taking the photo. This could be invaluable at some times in life when the grid goes down.

Renee's pedicab.jpg

Could you be more specific when you say to be mindful when charging. What can they do to be safer if they go the E-bike path. Excuse the pun.

I know it is a low probability but bike fires are real. Let me inject a little of my perspective. I walked away from a midair collision. Everyone on our plane lived, everyone on the helicopter died. The sobering part is knowing that I have the same odds of being in a midair every time I board an aircraft as I had that day. I still fly but I don't have any illusions about the odds protecting me. How can we improve the odds, even more, where e-bikes are concerned.
That's an amazing story of defying the odds of surviving a midair collision.

E-bikes battery safety? Or general good practice for all lithium ion cells, like phones, tablets, power tools. Keep charged between 60-90%. Use a timer to remind you that you're charging to prevent overcharge. Don't store in extreme temperature.

Latest posts

Back