"BIG" Sissy......looking for "Quality" Medicated HAND LOTION.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have a lot of the "normal" hand lotion, intended for "sissy men" (and Manly Women). I actually mostly use Vaseline Jelly.

But want some good medicated hand lotion. As good as I can get without a doctors prescription. So......to be clear, this is not for sissy man regular use, this would be saved for things where normal people would go to the doctor for hand skin problems.
Note: going to the doctor is not a realistic option for me, unless it requires an ambulance (about $3,200.00 one way)

I have a lot of the "normal" hand lotion, intended for "sissy men" (and Manly Women). I actually mostly use Vaseline Jelly.

But want some good medicated hand lotion. As good as I can get without a doctors prescription. So......to be clear, this is not for sissy man regular use, this would be saved for things where normal people would go to the doctor for hand skin problems.
Note: going to the doctor is not a realistic option for me, unless it requires an ambulance (about $3,200.00 one way)

I don't know which is best ,some say Asper cream for pain,or Gold Bond for dry skin mydaughter has boughts of exzema ans she changes her lotion often. Vaseline Jelly is one of them though.I use it too for heels,face and hands.

Husband says he likes Gold Bond Ultimate.
He also loves Heel Balm, and orders it by the ton. He says if your hands are cracked, it'll wear down the crack. He uses it on his feet, but says to consider it on your hands to reduce the ridges.
Now I say use lots of vaseline at night and put on a cotton glove.

OK......so let me "dial" this in a little tighter. It is post SHTF and you had acid splashed on your hands. I want to take this past "dry cracking skin". What to have in the post SHTF medical kit, for some skin issue, beyond "dry skin".

OK......so let me "dial" this in a little tighter. It is post SHTF and you had acid splashed on your hands. I want to take this past "dry cracking skin". What to have in the post SHTF medical kit, for some skin issue, beyond "dry skin".
Chapstick

Smear it in and rub it in.

Ben

it sounds like you need lots.

Well......very good chance I will "never" need anything like this ever. I have never had anything like this, I wish I knew what caused it. If I was near a town I would have gone to the Emergency Room.

@Sourdough I apologize for my tongue-in-cheek comment earlier. You mentioned acid. There has to be some kind of home remedy to help neutralize acid. For some reason my brain is telling me it's baking soda. I'll do a quick search of the interwebz and be right back...

@Sourdough I apologize for my tongue-in-cheek comment earlier. You mentioned acid. There has to be some kind of home remedy to help neutralize acid. For some reason my brain is telling me it's baking soda. I'll do a quick search of the interwebz and be right back...
Ok, so a quick search tells me that the treatment depends on the type of acid. Calcium gluconate, alcohol, or mild soapy cool water are all viable first aid depending on the type of acid...

No worries.......actually I thought it was funny. That is a far more common cure for problems in Alaska then people would like to know. And it has zero to do with depression, or any brain issue.

Most people can't grasp how remote you can get in Alaska. People get hurt in remote areas, with zero chance of rescue.......at some point there is only one cure.

For an open wound clean it well. For acid flush it well with copious amounts of clean water. For burns cool it in cold water.
Take your cut, burn, or other open wound, after cleaning, and cover it with honey and then cover with a bandage. Raw honey is best but whatever you have. You can also build a dam around the wound with petroleum jelly, fill the dam with white sugar, and bandage. The petroleum jelly is to keep the sugar from falling out from under the bandage.

We use bag balm, wheat germ oil, vitamin e, honey, silver and Epsom Salt for most wounds. Our main problem is eczema. My sister would soak hands in soapy dawn dish soap and wear gloves at bed for hers, it worked the best. Any acid burns I've had were very minor and easily fixed with lots of water. When I tried cutting my thumb off I had to soak it in 50/50 peroxide. (That was roughly 1 to two weeks after the cut, otherwise it would have opened the wounds.)

Me dumb...........real dumb, I must have twenty tubes of that here and it never occurred to me to use that. That and triple antibiotic ointment is everywhere in the cabins, in all my back packs, caches.

Give it a shot. I always have cortizone 10 on hand for the inevitable rashes. Works most of the time.

In many third world countries, virgin coconut oil is considered an essential healing ointment and might be worth a shot if you happen to have any. I‘ve used it to heal wounds very successfully.

If what you have is an allergic reaction, Benadryl might help.

This is why everyone should know every medicinal plant within yrds of their front door. Sick or injured, if you can't walk then crawl. Nature is full of handy plants to treat all sorts of things. Burns... from my porch I can see at least a dozen species that would be useful at some point of the healing process... elderberry, plantain, monarda, cranes bill, usnea, sumac, 3 species of oak, pines, poplar, cedar, self heal, mullein and most especially - goldenrod.

No worries.......actually I thought it was funny. That is a far more common cure for problems in Alaska then people would like to know. And it has zero to do with depression, or any brain issue.

Most people can't grasp how remote you can get in Alaska. People get hurt in remote areas, with zero chance of rescue.......at some point there is only one cure.
I took an ETT (Emergency Trauma Technician) course so I would know how to patch myself up out in the bush. Sometime after that certificate expired I took an EMT course refresh and upgrade my skills. I got recruited out of that class by the local volunteer ambulance squad. Running on the ambulance really honed my skills. I highly recommend working on an ambulance crew for anyone wishing to develop medical skills.

I took an ETT (Emergency Trauma Technician) course so I would know how to patch myself up out in the bush. Sometime after that certificate expired I took an EMT course refresh and upgrade my skills. I got recruited out of that class by the local volunteer ambulance squad. Running on the ambulance really honed my skills. I highly recommend working on an ambulance crew for anyone wishing to develop medical skills.

Thank you, by the way, for volunteering to do this. What you do is tough but much needed work. This is a credit to you. All my certifications are long ago expired, much to my discredit.

Thank you, by the way, for volunteering to do this. What you do is tough but much needed work. This is a credit to you. All my certifications are long ago expired, much to my discredit.
Mine too, but I'm confident that I could perform adequately in an emergency.

Last edited:
For many years, now, I've been making a herbal healing salve. I'll list the ingredients below. My experience is that it can cure some serious stuff (infected cat scratches and dog bites and even herpes) but there are some bacterial infections it does not cure. It's probably best as a first line of preventing infection, too, rather than trying to cure them. The microbiology of that is unknown to me, but it is also my first line of defense for cuts and dings. I have given away lots of it, then had some people insist of buying it from me when the gift ran out because it worked so well. I have one friend that used it as an all over lotion.

As far as my first aid kit, one of the things I keep a good supply of is the commercial mastitis treatments called "Today". It comes in tubes like giant syringes. This came from an experience about 15 years ago when I had an infection in a surgical incision that would not heal, just continued to ooze -- for months. After the medicos kept putting me on systemic antibiotics for ages and to no avail, finally one happened to mention the word MRSA and the lightbulb went off. MRSA is staph aureus. "Today" brand mastitis medication is for staph aureus mastitis (tho it's not really all that treatable but that's another story--From my lifetime of practicing goat medicine. ) Topical application cured the oozing and healed the incision within days.

My healing salve starts with a base of melted coconut oil in a big soup pot. I then put in a handful or two of the following herbs and steep for a day on very low heat. calendula, rosemary, borage, comfrey, thyme, yarrow, arnica, lavender and plantain (most of which I grow here). Strain the herbs out of the oil, melt in some bees wax (so it doesn't melt on hot days) and add some tea tree oil and some vitamin E as a preservative. I suspect that the tea tree oil is the most active ingredient.

When exposed to acid or alkaline the first thing to do is a cold water rinse and flush.
If you use a neutralizer it will generate heat strong enough to A. increase the reaction or B. burn your skin.

If you suffer from a burn (chemical, sun or heat related): If the skin is red but not broken or blackened cover with a water soluble antibiotic gel and wrap loosely in breathable cloth bandage. Keep it moist with water.
If the skin is broken or pealing then cover with honey or sugar syrup and wrap loosely in cotton. Keep the cloth moist.
If the skin is blackened or shedding seek medical aid. You should make every attempt to keep the area clean and cool. Do not put greasy or water proof gels on it, EVER! Whatever you put on the burn will have to be scrubbed off, with soap and water, by the medical professional. Trust me, you don't want to live through that!

Honey and sugar syrup are naturally antibiotic, hold moisture, and feed the new skin cells.

Latest posts

Back