BIG Winter Storm Predicted

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2021/03/09/colorado-ski-area-forecast-march-2021/254381/
I have been seeing that there is a big snow storm coming. The current predictions for Colorado along the Front Range foothills (east side of the mountains) is 29.5 + to 34 + inches. I decided to turn on the television to see what they are saying. I saw that this storm is spinning off the coast in the Northwest, so some of you in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and more may also feel the effects of this storm as well.

Storm is supposed to start Friday afternoon or evening in Colorado and go through Sunday. I think I will stay home this weekend.

I'm stocked up on groceries. My car is filled up. I would think the more concerning thing will be a potential power outage or power outages.

Will any of you get this storm?

No, keep your snow over there :p
Like we have a say in the matter? LOL!
They are comparing this storm to a storm we had in 2003. Many schools were closed for days, if not the week. Me? I was on spring break. It was before I had my garage built. It took me two days to dig my car out and when I left and came back, my narcissistic neighbor decided it was the place to park.

It will probably hold off until I have something delicious sprouting :p then hit hard.
I looked at my peach and pear trees today. It is too early for them to bloom and they have not leafed out yet, but I do see buds. Peach trees are 50-50 here whether they can produce in any given year. They bloom every year, but the weather can take off those blossoms and leave them without any fruit.

Since this storm is being compared to a storm of 2003, I remembered something. After I finally got my car out, I drove to the store to buy milk. There were 3 half gallon cartons left, of something unusual treatment that I do not remember.

Interesting. We are suppose to get a storm starting tomorrow that includes several days of snow. While snow is not rare for us it is this late in the season and for more than a day or two.

Maybe. They are dwarfs. I am not sure that covering them would help. With the potential of almost 30 inches of snow, the covers may put pressure on the branches.
I wrapped a tarp around a dwarf apple using bungy cords to prevent the blossoms from a late freeze last year. It was enough to protect most of the blossoms. I didn't cover the top, just the sides.

Ben

Thank you. I need to get more tarps and bungy cords for any future spring weather problems.
I have heard the polyfil quilt batting works as a frost blanket for fruit trees.

im in fremont county, CO but up in the mountains, housemate has been getting things ready, wood for the stove is topped off, generator ready, got food and extra water jugs topped off in case electric goes out and loaded my kindle with some new books.

we could use more moisture up here before fire season kicks in, im hoping for a good blast. at least it doesnt look like it will be bad cold.

Interesting. We are suppose to get a storm starting tomorrow that includes several days of snow. While snow is not rare for us it is this late in the season and for more than a day or two.
We have been known to on a rare occasion get snow every month of the year. A couple years ago, we had snow in June. Of course, it can be 90 degrees in April as well.

im in fremont county, CO but up in the mountains, housemate has been getting things ready, wood for the stove is topped off, generator ready, got food and extra water jugs topped off in case electric goes out and loaded my kindle with some new books.

we could use more moisture up here before fire season kicks in, im hoping for a good blast. at least it doesnt look like it will be bad cold.
We had a pretty dry fall. We have had a little moisture lately, but yes, Colorado can always use moisture.

Winter Storm Xylia, a Potentially Historic Blizzard in the Rockies and High Plains, Hits This Weekend (msn.com)

A potentially crippling, historic snowstorm will pummel parts of the Rockies and High Plains this weekend with multiple feet of snow that could snarl travel, damage trees and knock out power in parts of Colorado, Wyoming and western Nebraska.

The storm has been named Winter Storm Xylia (pronounced ZEYE-lee-uh) by The Weather Channel.

Early this week, snow blanketed parts of Wyoming, Nebraska, the Dakotas and Minnesota. A few locations picked up a foot of snow from this appetizer round. But this weekend's storm will be the main course.

A gyre of low pressure aloft will carve its way into the Southwest and take its time before it moves out early next week. Slow-moving upper lows like this one are notorious Rockies and High Plains snowstorm generators.

The spiraling low will tap deep moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and pump it up the slope of the High Plains into the Front Range of the Rockies, where air just cold enough to support snow will be in place.

This storm is also forecast to produce flooding rain and several days' worth of severe thunderstorms in other parts of the Plains and Mississippi Valley.

Last edited:
I'm not sure over the entire area. But the folks that do the YouTube vids at Sonne farms in South Dakota have mentioned not much snow this year. Their last vid had almost no snow on the ground. I would think the snow makes up a good part of their moisture for the year. The storm could end up as a blessing in some areas. Grain producers in particular

Winter Storm Xylia, a Potentially Historic Blizzard in the Rockies and High Plains, Hits This Weekend (msn.com)

A potentially crippling, historic snowstorm will pummel parts of the Rockies and High Plains this weekend with multiple feet of snow that could snarl travel, damage trees and knock out power in parts of Colorado, Wyoming and western Nebraska.

The storm has been named Winter Storm Xylia (pronounced ZEYE-lee-uh) by The Weather Channel.

Early this week, snow blanketed parts of Wyoming, Nebraska, the Dakotas and Minnesota. A few locations picked up a foot of snow from this appetizer round. But this weekend's storm will be the main course.

A gyre of low pressure aloft will carve its way into the Southwest and take its time before it moves out early next week. Slow-moving upper lows like this one are notorious Rockies and High Plains snowstorm generators.

The spiraling low will tap deep moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and pump it up the slope of the High Plains into the Front Range of the Rockies, where air just cold enough to support snow will be in place.

This storm is also forecast to produce flooding rain and several days' worth of severe thunderstorms in other parts of the Plains and Mississippi Valley.
You take care and be safe Weedy. Have water and heat please - and yes, I'm mama bearing again 💖

I'm not sure over the entire area. But the folks that do the YouTube vids at Sonne farms in South Dakota have mentioned not much snow this year. Their last vid had almost no snow on the ground. I would think the snow makes up a good part of their moisture for the year. The storm could end up as a blessing in some areas. Grain producers in particular
My hometown is about 100 miles from Mt. Vernon, where Sonne farms is located. It has been a pretty dry year. One of my friends from hometown reported 4 to 5 inches last night. I do know it has been pretty dry there, as has it been in Colorado.

Latest posts

Back