Binoculars?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I can't believe we don't have a thread on this, unless I missed it.

So what do you have? What do you want? What doesn't work?

My wife and I realized we only have one pair. They reside at the house for seeing who is at the gate, what's in the backyard etc. We would like something in the vehicles or GHBs. We have Leupold Yosemites 8x30. We got them about 10 years ago for 50% off. I love them and wish I had gotten more. It seems they are discontinued now. Maybe that's why I got a deal. I really like it that size and weight. I am not apposed to getting something larger for home and putting them in the truck. Is there a particular website you recommend? I was looking on optics planet. They have some pretty good deals on the sale items.

Still have some Old Skool 'Binolux' 10 x 50s from my Grandfather as primaries.. Really clear glass.. Made in Japan ('member those days? :rolleyes:) And some Italian Brand (forget the name) 10 x 90s with 'night prism's (I think they are just AR-coated, for better light transmission) Work pretty good.

Also, a few 'spotters' for Range-time / lookin out Further, a couple EDC monoculars, and a mini pair of 10 x 25s, for hiking. Lastly, some cheap (but, pretty decent as First-level checkin' out) NV 'stereo view' monoculars. Not a "True Binocular", but work pretty well, for what they are.

jd

I got some Bushnell 10x50s by my desk and a few pair of smaller binocs in bags and stashed around. The Bushnell get the job done for me.

I got the Bushnell 8x42. They are waterproof, lens caps. I used to keep them in the truck, hence the dusty case. They were handy when out plant hunting, looking 100-300yds. Since my cataract surgery (both), i don't need them. My vision is excellent to about 300yrds.

But, they always preformed as advertised, compact size. They were good quality 15yrs ago, don't know about now.

20230923_Bushnell.jpg

I went shopping online, see what’s out there. Mine are no longer made and there is a big price disparity.

Bushnell still makes a 8x42 for about $80, cheap aluminum junk. Mine were about $225 nearly 20 years ago and weigh 1lb 9oz, definitely not aluminum.

Below, these are $130 and 10x42. But they look more like mine and the product description is close. Current quality??? No idea.

Bushnell 01.jpg

I don't know what I have but I have 4 pair. Bushnell rings a bell. One pair is like having a freaking telescope. One pair I can use for out to the small backyard. The other two...in between. Yes, No, the bigger ones are not lightweight (none of them are), but I go with what I have. Can't remember how we came by having these, probably stuff my husband bought as we went along. I think the lowest power pair were a gift 30+ years ago. Strap finally gave out, shoestring/bootlace holds it now. Have kept the carry bags for them but I think the lens caps for most have gotten lost which isn't good.

I have a camo set of Leupold 12X?? They are most excellent except I have to lean against something to hold them still enough to see what I am looking at...

I also had a set that were always in focus.. No matter the distance.. As i recall they were 7X?? power, older Japanese made that I got at a yard sale for $5 as I remember.. They were very good for hunting...

I have a pair of Minolta 10x50's. I think I paid $149 for them over 30 years ago. They are good enough for my rare occasional use, but I would not call them great. They are completely, totally put to shame by my friends pair of Swarovski birding binoculars. But he paid a couple thousand for those I believe. When you look through them ... wow! Well out of my price range though. I just can't justify spending a lot of money on something that has traditionally seen less than five minutes use every three or so years in my household. We just don't have much need for binoculars.

I have several cheap pair of 10X50s I use at the range, usually to help others 0 in. I have 1 spotting scope 60X for longer ranges. I have a small pair of 10X that I keep in my treestand saddle bags. I don't usually invest in expensive units because if I sit an expensive pair on at bench at the range they will walk off.... the cheap ones seem to stay put. But, all my hunting arms are equipped with Leupold optics.

This one of those times when everyone show up on a Harley & I'm on a moped.
I have a Animals love me 4X30 & Tasco 7 X 35mm (500ft/1000yds).
The Tasco was a gift for working for the company for ten years.
I use my old 80mm zoom Len camera more than Binoculars.

Latest posts

Back