Birds In the Garden

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankful_k

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So I'm building my garden, and about to start planting soon (I'm a little behind schedule). I live in far North Texas, just south of Wichita Falls. I plan to grow what I eat: potatoes, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, beans/peas, okra, and raspberries (in that order of priority)

I have been researching the subject of birds. I have found two basic opinions:

1) NEVER, EVER attract birds to your garden, they will destroy everything, and leave your garden a toxic, smoldering wasteland.
2) ALWAYS, ALWAYS attract birds to your garden, they will transform it into a lush, thriving paradise of pest-free delights.

I've thought about a third option, to attract the birds to a spot 100-200 yards or so away from the garden, so that they will grab the tasty treats and leave my stuff alone.

I was researching what to use to keep birds away recently, @thankful_k and I am also north central Texas so same bird types. I’m going to get at least one Decoy owl, I have wind chimes but haven’t put them out yet, get some pin wheels (especially shiny metallics). Let us know how things are working out.

So I'm building my garden, and about to start planting soon (I'm a little behind schedule). I live in far North Texas, just south of Wichita Falls. I plan to grow what I eat: potatoes, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, beans/peas, okra, and raspberries (in that order of priority)

I have been researching the subject of birds. I have found two basic opinions:

1) NEVER, EVER attract birds to your garden, they will destroy everything, and leave your garden a toxic, smoldering wasteland.
2) ALWAYS, ALWAYS attract birds to your garden, they will transform it into a lush, thriving paradise of pest-free delights.

I've thought about a third option, to attract the birds to a spot 100-200 yards or so away from the garden, so that they will grab the tasty treats and leave my stuff alone.
It is the type of bird, Blue birds eat bugs, not fruit.

I'm on the other side of the fence: I like having all these wild birds in my yard, especially now that "bug season" has arrived! Plus it's like a natural symphony with all the birds chirping & singing in the trees! Could be worse! I could be hearing friggin' gunshots & sirens back in the Big City, or traffic noise and angry drivers honking to vent their road rage! Meh... "I'LL TAKE HEAPS OF WILD BIRDS FOR $500, ALEX!!!" :cool:

Last edited:
I have a much bigger problem with squirrels. They have eaten corn, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries. I have feeders for the birds. I think that helps them to stay focused on the food there, as opposed to eating my garden.

Another way to go, if you have hen for eggs.

Reactions: Neb
Back