Bob Barker! Come on down!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1693070175361.jpeg

I have no doubt this great man is now looking down on all of us.

Rest in Peace, Bob!

I knew that Bob Barker grew up on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota, fairly close to my grandparent's ranch. I knew he was part American Indian, but didn't realize that he was 1/8 until I just saw this on Wikipedia. (Wikipedia says 1/8, record says 3/8) There are benefits and privileges of being a member of a tribe, depending on the tribe and percentage of Indian ancestry. They are each different and like all government organizations, can be good or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Barker

Early life​

Bob Barker.jpg

Recorded as Robert Barker in the Indian Census Roll, 1930
Barker spent most of his youth on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in Mission, South Dakota. The U.S. Indian Census Rolls, 1885–1940, list Barker as an enrolled member of the Sioux tribe.[2] His mother, Matilda ("Tillie") Valandra (née Matilda Kent Tarleton), was a school teacher; his father, Byron John Barker, was the foreman on the electrical high line through the state of Washington. As Barker's father was one-quarter Sioux,[3] and his mother non-Native, Barker was one-eighth Sioux.[4] Barker attended the grade school on the Rosebud Reservation where his mother was a teacher.[3] He once said, "I've always bragged about being part Indian, because they are a people to be proud of. And the Sioux were the greatest warriors of them all."[3]

The Price is Right was a staple of my childhood. Whatever I wanted to see on TV was irrelevant at 10AM when TPIR came on. My mom tuned in every day, and either watched from the kitchen while preparing food, or watched from the sofa while folding laundry. I liked the sounds and lights of the games when I was little. When I got to be an adult and worked 2nd or 3rd shift jobs I would often tune in either before bed or after waking, depending on what shift I was working. The games were fun, and Barker's Beauties didn't hurt...😉

And who can forget his legendary cameo in the film "Happy Gilmore"? The fight between Bob and Adam Sandler is one of the funniest film moments ever!

...And who can forget his legendary cameo in the film "Happy Gilmore"? The fight between Bob and Adam Sandler is one of the funniest film moments ever!
*Warning, contains the "b-word", but yes, 'priceless' (pun :D):

Latest posts

Back