BOL

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bargeahead

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Without asking anyone to divulge privileged info; how many who live in a city or burb actually have a viable BOL ? I think we do but reality may differ from, " Oh sure, come on out here".

I just wonder how any other people are planning on setting up camp at the same place you planned on? I have to say I sure as hell don't want to be living in a big city if/when the SHTF. I do believe if shtf ever does happen and it does last for even six months then probably over 50% of the population will die off in that 6 months. No food, water or God forbid no cell phones. I guess we will have to learn to be middle eastern and wipe our butts with our bare hands. The smell of corpses will be enough to kill people.
My uncle said he will never forget the stench of those bodies in the Nazi death pits.
I saw what went on during the great Houston hurricane escape or should I say parking lots and that only lasted 2 days. I don't even want to think what would happen if Houston had a SHTF incident.

I do not have a BOL. As a widower whose kids are long ago on their own, I have total flexibility if I ever have to bug out. I would not have a BOL because I cannot predict the circumstances requiring the bug out and so I do not know what location I can travel to in order to reach relative safety.

To support my flexible approach I have my iPhone 5s loaded with Gaia GPS app and many offline maps for my region. I also have a Brunton Freedom solar charger for the phone. It is just a bit bigger then the phone and will charge it in about 90 minutes. It attached to the outside of a pack so it is recharging as you carry it. If I have to bug out I will assess the position of the challenges and navigate my way around or through them.

I also have what I call a Run & Gun kit. It is two waste/hip packs with first aid, ammo, gun, water filter, emergency food for 3 days, survival blanket, paracord, knife, snare wire, ferrite rod, fire starting materials, and a pair of padded sole socks. I could move mighty fast and far with the kit. Hope I never get to use it.

I have nowhere to go to. Like Tom above, my BOL is right here where I am at now.

In case of civil unrest, I don't think my farm would be a place people would want to bug out to, so that helps.

If a nuclear war breaks out (AKA: Mutually Assured Destruction), I hope that I get incinerated right away rather than suffering with after blast radiation.

I don't have the means to move to this interesting place, but it appears that these folks might be able to last a little while longer than mos (link is below),

http://survivalcondo.com/

but in the end they would likely meet the same fate as the rest of us

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in the middle of no where. We should be just fine here. We do have an RV that we will use if we ever need to leave for some unforeseen reason (like a plane crashing into our house or something).

If a nuclear war breaks out (AKA: Mutually Assured Destruction), I hope that I get incinerated right away rather than suffering with after blast radiation.
Unless you live in a major metropolitan city, the odds of getting blasted to bits is minuscule.
Fallout will kill thousands of times more people. Almost all of them will die needlessly. It's easily prevented.
Because you can't sense radiation with any of your 5 senses, most people will wander out in it because everything seems completely normal.
To survive, you only need to know a few things:
1: How hot is it?
2: Where is it hot?
3: How much has it died down?
The majority of the danger is gone within only 2-3 weeks.
But you have to know these things because the 'snow-fall' will vary greatly even within 10 miles.
My stuff:
IMG_2308.JPG

This stuff is not expensive and your local Chiropractor (the friendly doctor) will be more than happy to blast your meters with his x-ray machine to test them.
(notice the label on the upper right meter. It's a spare)
The blue book is worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
The radiation from a nuke blast drops VERY fast (at least at first). Even staying in a safe place for a day might save your life.
Absolutely. The heaviest (and hottest) most dangerous stuff does.
With no power, most folks will be outside rejoicing that there is nothing but a barely noticeable layer of dust on stuff after all the wailing radios go quiet.
We survived!!!
:green man:
That would be a fatal mistake.
Of course since fallout can travel 1000's of miles in the jet-stream, there could be more days later.
You have to know how hot it is outside.

Anyone can get a better idea if your area might be in the line of fallout or if your house is in the blast area if a nuke hit your city just by playing around with this map. http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ Drop a bomb anywhere you want and check the results. Did you know you can make your own test meter?
Anyone with ANY interest in the results of a nuke war should get this FREE book- - http://www.ki4u.com/nwss.pdf - it is THE factual book on the subject.

Anyone can get a better idea if your area might be in the line of fallout or if your house is in the blast area if a nuke hit your city just by playing around with this map. http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ Drop a bomb anywhere you want and check the results. Did you know you can make your own test meter?
Anyone with ANY interest in the results of a nuke war should get this FREE book- - http://www.ki4u.com/nwss.pdf - it is THE factual book on the subject.
Enjoyed playing with the map and nuking California (nothing against them, but they are to the west of almost everybody).
The fallout feature on the map is useless because it only uses ground wind at 15mph blowing to the northeast.
The book however, is very informative.
China (God bless 'em) was nice enough to detonate a small nuke in 1966 and we were able to track the fallout:
TransPacificFallout.JPG

So likely the biggest threat to us, will be the fallout from other people's war or our own retaliatory strikes.
:bang Head:
FalloutRisk.JPG

Ya' gotta know how hot it is.
As for the McGuiver radiation detector... it's cool and probably better than nothing, but I think I'll pass on betting my life on it.
:rolleyes::D

We live in our BOL. We will be "Bugging In" for the duration, IF it happens before July of this year. We will be moving to a new BOL in Tennessee, before the end of July.

Latest posts

Back