Booby traps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Booby Traps or Homemade Security Systems are IllegalThis term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices to produce toxic fumes or gases.

Who is liable if a homeowner sets a booby trap?​

On Behalf of Jay Gervasi, P.A. | May 2, 2023 | Injuries
If someone breaks into a home and the homeowner actively defends themselves, they’re generally within their rights. This leads some homeowners to believe that they can set booby traps in advance to injure someone who potentially breaks into the house or trespasses on their property.
However, doing so is illegal under U.S. law. Even if somebody is not supposed to be on the property, if the homeowner knowingly set up a booby trap with the intention of injuring a trespasser, that trespasser can then sue the homeowner to cover things like medical bills and other costs. The homeowner has violated their rights by injuring them in this fashion.
In other words, a homeowner may be able to injure a trespasser without liability if they are there in person, at the time, and they are honestly defending themselves from perceived harm. If they set up a trap in advance because they know they’re not going to be home, then they have violated that person’s rights, even if they were illegally on the property.

Why is it set up this way?​

Some homeowners do feel that this is unfair because they claim they’re just trying to protect their own property and that someone who trespasses should never be there to get injured in the first place. However, the law recognizes that allowing people to set up booby traps could create serious risks for other individuals.
For instance, what if someone is given the wrong address by a friend and accidentally walks into the wrong house? What if a package delivery worker drops something off on the porch and accidentally triggers the device? All sorts of people could be hurt, so it is unsafe for homeowners to go around setting up these sorts of traps.
As such, those who are injured in this manner need to make sure they know about all of the legal options they have.

This reminds me of a Gunsmoke episode I saw, where a husband and wife were constantly being attacked by someone wanting their land, and Dodge City was kinda far out...so no one to constantly patrol their place. The husband just "happened" to put up a new clothesline right outside the house, kind of put up high. When the bad guys came around again that night to burn them out, they were riding fast in circles around the house, and you can guess what happened to their heads. Matt Dillon came after to investigate, knowing the man could of defended himself lawfully anyway, but the man didn't believe in violence. But had just put up that clothesline. We had such a problem with crime in the state we used to live in, that I had nail boards under each bedroom window, covered a bit with leaves. Knowing though, that I'd have to disappear them if something went on. But I was sick up robberies we had, and an attempted home invasion.

A story that was told at my first CCW class by the instructor went like this....

A family had their vacation lake cabin broken into every few weeks. The owner was getting tired of this so he rigged a shotgun aimed at the door. When the door was opened, the shotgun would fire. Well, the inevitable happened. The intruder was shot, but not killed. He (the intruder) called 911 and an ambulance came for him. At the hospital, law enforcement questioned the intruder. After two years of court cases and jail time, the cabin owner was incarcerated and the intruder now owns the vacation lake cabin.

Last edited:
A story that was told at my first CCW class by the instructor went like this....

A family had their vacation lake cabin broken into every few weeks. The owner was getting tired of this so he rigged a shotgun aimed at the door. When the door was opened, the shotgun would fire. Well, the inevitable happened. The intruder was shot, but not killer. He (the intruder) called 911 and an ambulance came for him. At the hospital, law enforcement questioned the intruder. After two years of court cases and jail time, the cabin owner was incarcerated and the intruder now owns the vacation lake cabin.
There was a case that was in the news regularly here. A business man kept having his shop broken into in spite of all kinds of attempts to stop it. He rigged up something that got him into trouble. I don't remember the particulars. It may have been a gun.

I have thought about stringing wires up that can cause someone to trip, or a little higher to catch someone at the neck.

@ Amish, I remember when you had someone breaking into your home. I wonder where your post is on here?

If One is gonna set a trap, make sure it is INSIDE where All Family Members know where it is and set it before leaving the domicile...!!! No ONE and I Mean No ONE has the Right to enter Your Property if You are Not there...!!

If One is gonna set a trap, make sure it is INSIDE where All Family Members know where it is and set it before leaving the domicile...!!! No ONE and I Mean No ONE has the Right to enter Your Property if You are Not there...!!
Not true
LEO. Acting on an Anonymous tip of a person sick ,injured can kick your door down and enter on a health and wellness check

Think about that anonymous means anytime they want to lie they can enter
Also. If they are in pursuit of a criminal

Havasu. Jump in and let me know if I am wrong

A family had their vacation lake cabin broken into every few weeks. The owner was getting tired of this so he rigged a shotgun aimed at the door. When the door was opened, the shotgun would fire. Well, the inevitable happened. The intruder was shot, but not killer. He (the intruder) called 911 and an ambulance came for him. At the hospital, law enforcement questioned the intruder. After two years of court cases and jail time, the cabin owner was incarcerated and the intruder now owns the vacation lake cabin.
I heard the same story back in the mid 80's. Same story?

Not true
LEO. Acting on an Anonymous tip of a person sick ,injured can kick your door down and enter on a health and wellness check

Think about that anonymous means anytime they want to lie they can enter
Also. If they are in pursuit of a criminal

Havasu. Jump in and let me know if I am wrong
Or, in our region, a person could be stranded on a country road in the middle of the winter freezing to death. Or, maybe fallen thru the ice while icefishing, and was able to climb to shore. If that person, saw a vacant home in the distance, should s/he be met with a belly full of buckshot just because he wanted to save himself, and possibly his family, from freezing to death?

When i lived in SoCal an insurance carrier offered home owner discounts for planting cactus under windows. It deters break-ins. Natural barriers can be wicked... and decorative landscaping.

Aside from cactus nature has many other plants that'll make a thief go elsewhere. Like devil's walking stick... Need a new backyard fence? Why not blackberry vines? Can make pies or jam and it's an excellent barrier. Even the neighbor's dog won't go through them, much less a thief.

Last edited:
1713105900604.png

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bougainvi...sa&atb=v404-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Or, in our region, a person could be stranded on a country road in the middle of the winter freezing to death. Or, maybe fallen thru the ice while icefishing, and was able to climb to shore. If that person, saw a vacant home in the distance, should s/he be met with a belly full of buckshot just because he wanted to save himself, and possibly his family, from freezing to death?
THATS a tough one!
Is it illegal to break into a house to save your or another's life?

Common sense says not illegal. But common sense and law do not always match

Today booby traps are a no-no. If it becomes WROL then you might want to consider protective barriers. Be careful the reason booby traps are illegal is because of their propensity for catching the innocent.

Had a house once, my neighbor had a bunch of little kids. Every spring with warm weather the kids would run barefoot through everyone’s front yards. Irritating not to mention a liability issue. So, I purposely let dandelions grow in my lawn. They were a variety with thorny leaves. Not serious thorns but plenty sharp for tender feet. Kids stayed off my lawn… problem solved.

Another neighbor offered lawn maintenance tips for my dandelion problem… I just smiled and walked away. 🤣

Dandelion thorns.jpg

THATS a tough one!
Is it illegal to break into a house to save your or another's life?

Common sense says not illegal. But common sense and law do not always match
It is legal though you need to pay for any damages or for any loss by the owner.

I suspect it could be argued that putting ...bear mats... under windows and such is not a ..booby trap... Bear matt = plywood with sheet rock screws through it ..same principle as planting cactus under the windows..

I know of one land owner who had problems with trespassers driving in a pasture and he ...accidentally.. lost a spike tooth harrow off the tractor in the tall grass in front of the gate.. Spikes up...

.. I know a bunch of noise makers that are harmless.

Could also rig up a 'less than lethal' (yet Effective at getting a perp to LEAVE) ie: a pull-triggered airsoft grenade with a ziplock baggie full of Thioacetone taped around it.. o_O🤢🤮🤮🤮👿

'Course, You'll not wanna ever occupy the house again, but.. ;) Should clear out the intruder.. And prolly everyone Else for a Mile square. ;)

jd

I was hoping this would be more of a discussion of how rather than if...

Me too... But most of us didn't get past the first word of the op. 🤣 The second made me think about these. The trappers bible might be something i got at a gun show. To the point but not in depth, 60 pages or so. The second one by hawbarker is a real trapping book, 380 pages. Lost of good idea's in it! printed in 1974.

20240417_bk trp37.jpg20240417_bk trp43.jpg

The chemical Thioacetone may be affective, but I have to think a court would be hard to convince justified in use.. ??

Ehh, not sure there's any Laws on the books against making a 'stink bomb'.. (even though it Might clear out the Entire County.. ;) If that was deemed 'too strong', a baggie of Butyric acid should also work pretty good.. And I Highly-doubt you could get 'charged' for anything for inducing projectile-vomiting in a perp. 🤮🤮🤮🤭

Wanted to post up Another 'tactic' I've used (under the category of 'convincing ruses') but.. My fav image-hosting site is Down for ??? reasons, so.. It'll have to wait.

jd

My favorite bourbon is called Larceny
Smooth earthy woody taste. Not cheap
It. Also has a cork instead of a screw top
Find some Phenytoin/pentobarbital (trade name Beuthanasia-D Special) and a syringe
Inject thru the cork into the bottle
Put the bottle on top of the Fridge and forget about it
If some one breaks in. They will find the bottle.

That's all well and good but what if a child activates your traps?

Thirty or so years ago, a store owner in a rather bad part of Miami was tired of his shop being continuously broken into.
He rigged a booby trap consisting of a shotgun.
A perp was killed breaking in, the shop owner was charged, tried and convicted of homicide and sentenced to prison.

I think that booby traps are a bad idea in a civilized society where there is law and order.

But knowing how to make triggers, snares, and other types of common traps would be good information to have available. I have made a number of trip wire snares in the past and although they are simple, they are an art form to perfect.

The indiscriminate nature of most booby traps represents an unacceptable risk at this time.
Thorny hedges, fences, dogs, motion sensor sprinklers, lights, and other deterrents would be a better option at this time.

I think that booby traps are a bad idea in a civilized society where there is law and order.

But knowing how to make triggers, snares, and other types of common traps would be good information to have available. I have made a number of trip wire snares in the past and although they are simple, they are an art form to perfect.

The indiscriminate nature of most booby traps represents an unacceptable risk at this time.
Thorny hedges, fences, dogs, motion sensor sprinklers, lights, and other deterrents would be a better option at this time.
I find traps interesting. The hair trigger is soooo... cool.

Ben

Latest posts

Back