Booby traps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's all well and good but what if a child activates your traps?
Back to the harmless noise makers. the venerable AC Victor rat trap converted to a black powder cap detonator will scare nine shades of crap out of anyone! using one as a dead man switch you can hook up a car horn and or lights or a tape of "Disco Duck" set on repeat. I know I'd run like hell if I heard that!

Following @Magus, theme you could take a sheet with a whiffle ball tied in the middle and the whole thing connected to an elevated bungie by transparent fishing line (have the sheet and ball stuffed/hidden in a five gallon bucket). Imaging, sneaking around, hit the trip wire and a "ghost" comes flying up and bouncing around in your general direction. Now If the yard is not well kept (rakes & hoe's sitting around and boards piled up) I'll bet that you will half beat yourself to death trying to get out of there, not to mention needing a new set of underwear...

I found a bin of these alarms at a dollar store dirt cheap, got a bag full of these things. They are for cabinets, doors, windows. Simple magnet operation and they are loud!!!!!

I thought... what about some fishing line across a trail at night or as a picket line while camped overnight. A buddy and i tested one, a summer night here on the farm. I walked up to the high pasture. I could hear the alarm clearly at 300ydrs. It is loud! One and done, disposable, less than a buck each.

Weighs almost nothing, a piece of plastic with a battery. Fishing line is super light also. Perfect for a go bag or kit, bring a few hooks. Then you can fish and stitch up a serious wound too. 😁

Trip wire (2).jpg

Last edited:
That's all well and good but what if a child activates your traps?
Unsupervised children is grounds for a child services investigation With possible neglect charges

If the child is a kid and old enough to be out and about on its own then it is old enough to read and understand what no trespassing signage means

But the law is the law and the law states no booby traps so children's safety is really a non issue

there is a type of spray adhesive that never dries, I think it's called "sign up" Coat a mist net used for bird harvesting and leave it where they will run face first into it, their screams of distress will tell you where they are, and if you wait, they will be gift wrapped.

Unsupervised children is grounds for a child services investigation With possible neglect charges

If the child is a kid and old enough to be out and about on its own then it is old enough to read and understand what no trespassing signage means

But the law is the law and the law states no booby traps so children's safety is really a non issue

Until one gets kidnapped during the night...!!!

Many of these ideas for booby traps would not work where we live. The deer and bear would be springing them all the time.
We need animal alarms for the stupid woodpeckers. Those damn house destroyers. We've been using the alarm built into our Ring Camera Flood Lights. Set that off, as stupid as it is, and the woodpeckers run for cover. But it's a manual trigger (from the cellphone app). The neighbors are probably wondering why our idiot floodlights "randomly" alarm. I would rather give those stupid birds some Tannerite to peck on - wouldn't that be a satisfying sound to hear while watching TV in the family room - but that would probably damage the house even more.

Last edited:
We need animal alarms for the stupid woodpeckers. Those damn house destroyers. We've been using the alarm built into our Ring Camera Flood Lights. Set that off, as stupid as it is, and the woodpeckers run for cover. But it's a manual trigger (from the cellphone app). The neighbors are probably wondering why our idiot floodlights "randomly" alarm. I would rather give those stupid birds some Tannerite to peck on - wouldn't that be a satisfying sound to hear while watching TV in the family room - but that would probably damage the house even more.
The woodpeckers here were always pecking on the house. Then, we moved our suet feeder far from the house and problem solved. YMMV

John Wayne in Green bray, was all I needed to know Boody Traps are bad news.

Now that you brought it up there must be a U.S. Army field manual on Viet Cong booby traps.
I know that we had to take classes on these things.
I’m pretty sure those are posted around here somewhere.

there is a type of spray adhesive that never dries, I think it's called "sign up" Coat a mist net used for bird harvesting and leave it where they will run face first into it, their screams of distress will tell you where they are, and if you wait, they will be gift wrapped.
We got a whale in our net back in my commercial fishing days. Catching a moose in a sticky net would be worse. In the first case we just pulled the remains of our net and went back to town spending the rest of the week on net repair. Trying to free an angry moose…no thanks!

I think I could make that happen for you. got any sheet copper and an old frying pan? guaranteed to make them avoid you like the plague! birds are immune to tear gas BTW.
got an old air horn? mount one near where they pack and hit them with 50 decibels!

I think I could make that happen for you. got any sheet copper and an old frying pan? guaranteed to make them avoid you like the plague! birds are immune to tear gas BTW.
got an old air horn? mount one near where they pack and hit them with 50 decibels!
maybe this?
Silently send the little turd flying into the next county!

We have mostly pileated, downy, and hairy woodpeckers.
Flickers around here rip big holes in plywood, they banged a big hole in a friends barn, crazy because they could have just flown two feet lower to get to the same area.

I've thought of hanging jars of Tannerite around the edges of the yard. When the zombies come to attack, I could shoot those jars. It wouldn't hurt them, but it might scare them away.

Flickers around here rip big holes in plywood, they banged a big hole in a friends barn, crazy because they could have just flown two feet lower to get to the same area.
Forgot those. We have Northern Flickers all over the place. I usually seen them pecking in the grass. I have never seen one on the house. They are members of the woodpecker family, so I don't doubt they can do some damage to house siding.

Back