Book recommendation with recipes?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m looking for a good book recommendation with recipes that contains topics like toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, soaps, detergents things along those lines.

Does something like this even exist?
Several here make their own "stuff", for lack of a better word. This is a great post, I am curious as well!!

I’m looking for a good book recommendation with recipes that contains topics like toothpaste, deodorant, lotions, soaps, detergents things along those lines.

I have recipes for those things but haven’t written a book. I keep a recipe box with the recipes I like (just like for food but it’s for everything else). I have my deodorant and toothpaste recipes on my blog. I can PM them to you if you’d like.

My wife has a little metal box like that. She claimed it when her grandma passed. Anyway I had thought of hiring a high school kid to type them all up. Some are begging to fade. My wife has already rewritten a few. That way we can pass all the recipes down.

Last edited:
My wife gave me a book last Christmas: No Grid Survival Projects (How to Produce Everything you need on Your Property). It is a trade paperback, and I believe she got it on Amazon. I did not see recipes for the items you requsted, but it is a very complete DYI manual that includes materials and cost.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/GRID-Surviva...qid=1701431385&sprefix=No+Grid,aps,104&sr=8-1
I think The Princess recently purchased a copy. I put it on a wishlist just to drive her crazy. ;)

Ben

I think The Princess recently purchased a copy. I put it on a wishlist just to drive her crazy. ;)

Ben

Excellent choice. It is very complete, and incredibly thorough. There is a banner on the title page of each project that shows estimated cost, the degree of difficulty and the amount of time the project should take. I was very impressed.

....Home Remedies... This sounds like a good section to add to my 3 ring binder along with my ...Just Add Water... jar mix recipes.. Information is power...

Grandad's Chemistry by Kurt Saxon, I think I uploaded a PDF into our library, if not I can email it.
Deodorant is easy, a sprayer bottle of 100# alcohol kills ALL body smell for two days or more in winter, it kills the bacteria that cause you to stink, leaving NO scent behind.

Lanolin comes from sheep fat, it is a hand lotion without peer if distilled properly, if not, you tend to smell pretty funky.

Lots of us in here make various salves, medications, and whatnot including the grain alcohol used as a base in many of them. ask questions! In here, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! I'm a cook, but I'm decent with poisons too (go figure.), and a bartender. No worries though. I keep my hobbies separate and in separate areas. :p

Get a civil war era receipt book. Or one from the late 1800's. It will cover everything from cement recipes, animal care recipes, human food, medicine, and toiletries. Sadly no toothpaste. I'm not sure when tooth brushing became mainstream.
I have a couple- I can’t remember which ailment, but the listed treatment is opium 🤪. If I remember tomorrow, I will see if I can find it- pretty funny.

Last edited:
Grandad's Chemistry by Kurt Saxon, I think I uploaded a PDF into our library, if not I can email it.
Deodorant is easy, a sprayer bottle of 100# alcohol kills ALL body smell for two days or more in winter, it kills the bacteria that cause you to stink, leaving NO scent behind.

Lanolin comes from sheep fat, it is a hand lotion without peer if distilled properly, if not, you tend to smell pretty funky.

Lots of us in here make various salves, medications, and whatnot including the grain alcohol used as a base in many of them. ask questions! In here, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! I'm a cook, but I'm decent with poisons too (go figure.), and a bartender. No worries though. I keep my hobbies separate and in separate areas. :p
Lanolin actually comes from the wool (not the fat). Not trying to be a brat but thought you’d like to know that.

Latest posts

Back