Bounty of the earth

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc years ago when we first bought our Midwest acreage we put parts of it in CRP that was not good for farming or pasture. It was basically an overused dairy farm. A wildlife biologist came out and designed what needed to be added to benefit the wildlife deer/turkey/quail etc. We planted over 6,000 trees on that property oak/ hickory/walnut but one of the important ones according to the biologist was the American persimmon. I guess many animals and birds benefit from that ripe fruit.
Several years ago we bought a farm about 150 miles north of here. In the old days they raised wheat on this place. It was abandoned many years ago and the owner enrolled all the farm land in CRP. I thought about planting trees on the CRP ground, but since there was several tree filled canyons on the property I decided aginst planting any more trees. There were a lot of old fruit trees around the old house too.
I bought out 5 acres of the CRP ground from the government and built a barn and equipment shed, plus put in a new well.

Yep, we already have a good many that grew naturally scattered out over the place, but we just planted a lot more on a CRP a couple of years ago, along with nuttall oaks and swamp chestnut oaks.
Most of the persimmon trees I know about are usually inaccessible when they have fruit on them due to flooding, but this one was right on the levee. I don't know why I never noticed it before.

From what I understand, when they drop they start fermenting, so the persimmon trees are the local bar for the wildlife, LMAO.

There is a chemical in unripe American persimmons that reacts with stomach acid and creates a polymer. This polymer forms a three dimensional matrix which traps indigestible fiber and can block your stomach.
The only effective treatment short of surgery is...get this...Coca cola! Coke can dissolve the matrix.

OK, so round 1 with the roasted persimmon seeds was a total bust.
I have discovered a material that is so hard and tough it cannot be bent, dented, scratched or broken, LOL
They are so hard I cannot break them with a fairly heavy mortar and pestle much less my teeth. Not sure what I did wrong, but maybe I need some oil on them. Perhaps steam them first?

Sound like mesquite beans which need a special mill to process into flour...regular corn/wheat mills do nothing except break.

Latest posts

Back