Bradford pear -- any uses for this invasive tree?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Houston

Friend
Neighbor
Hi all. Recently bought a home and have found that there are 3-4 Bradford pear trees on the property. One of these trees has begun dropping tiny little fruits. After some research online, I was met with some conflicting information that the fruit of the Bradford pear tree was poisonous and not to be consumed. I did some more searching and this seems to be simply because the seeds will combine with stomach acid and produce cyanide. I don't really consider that "toxic" (otherwise lots of fruits would be toxic), so I went ahead and cut one open the other day and popped it in my mouth after de-seeding. Not bad, but not great.

Does anyone have any uses for this little fruit? I've found recipes online for jelly and wine, but I was curious if anyone had tried anything else. And please, spare me the lecture on how these are invasive. Any Google search of the tree produces page after page of hate for the tree with any sort of useful information drowned out completely.

I do a lot of work in an area that is a fairly recent development. There are many Bradford pear trees there. I have never seen any fruit on any of the trees, but maybe they are not old enough to produce fruit yet. I have read that they are not the best of trees to plant.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-shrubs-vines/trees/bradford-pear-tree/

Here's Why You Might Regret Planting a Bradford Pear Tree​

Despite its pretty white spring blooms, this flowering pear tree has several undesirable qualities you may want to avoid.

By Luke Miller

Bradford pear trees are the trees people love to hate. Notorious for their funky-smelling flowers, these blooming trees are a sign of spring in many placesbut that's not to say they're welcomed with smiling faces. The invasiveness of Bradford pears has become so bad that a county in Kentucky is offering a free alternative tree to anyone who cuts down a Bradford in their yard. Years ago, I decided to ignore the rumors about this infamous Callery pear cultivar and plant one anyway, because I believe every plant deserves a chance. Plus, how beautiful are those white flowers? Here's what I learned.

Bradford Pear Tree History and Issues​

Bradford pear was introduced in the mid-1960s and soon became the most popular cultivar of callery pear (Pyrus calleryana). In fact, it's so popular that the two terms are pretty much used interchangeably by the public. It was a favorite of landscapers and municipal planners alike. The trees were covered in white flowers in spring and you could look forward to pretty fall foliage as well. Bradford pear trees grew fast, took any kind of soil without complaint, and it was pest-resistant and disease-free. It was even described as one of the best cultivars of trees developed in the 20th century.

At first, the shortcomings could be written off. The Bradford pear tree was supposed to be small but ended up growing 40 to 50 feet tall. And the flowers had a sickeningly sweet aroma that hung in the air when the trees were planted in groups (a common practice with street trees). Other flaws were harder to ignore. Bradford pear trees had a structural challenge, with a bunch of weak branches arising from the same section of the trunk. If a winter storm didn't make a wreck of the tree, the poorly engineered branches would do it themselves. The trees literally fell apart after 20 years.

The biggest pain became evident: Bradford pear trees were crossing with other flowering pear trees. Even worse, the offspring reverted to the characteristics of the species, which meant tire-puncturing thorns and aggressive thickets that crowded out native plants.

My Experience with Bradford Pear Trees​

One solution to the issues with Bradford pear trees was to use sterile cultivars that wouldn't reproduce. I bought one, a Cleveland Select, which had an upright, columnar shape that promised to be better behaved. Plus, it still had great fall foliage—a mix of burgundy and yellow in mid-November after everything else was finished. As for the flowers, I planted mine behind the garage, so I never noticed a smell.

One thing I did notice was fruit. After 10 barren years, my fruitless pear tree suddenly became a mother. As it turns out, sterile trees can still produce fruit if there's a cross-pollinator nearby.

The verdict: Although a sterile version of this tree may not drop fruit or produce a bad smell, there's a chance it'll still cross-pollinate. That means its undesirable genes could mix with those of native pears, which could produce seeds that turn into problem plants.

If you've got one, consider cutting it down (it makes good firewood!) and replacing it with a better-behaved, less-problematic flowering tree. Some of my favorites include flowering dogwood tree, serviceberry, flowering cherry, and fringetree. Not only will your neighbors thank you for sparing them from the stench of a Bradford pear tree, but you'll help keep native plant habitats healthier.

Hi all. Recently bought a home and have found that there are 3-4 Bradford pear trees on the property. One of these trees has begun dropping tiny little fruits. After some research online, I was met with some conflicting information that the fruit of the Bradford pear tree was poisonous and not to be consumed. I did some more searching and this seems to be simply because the seeds will combine with stomach acid and produce cyanide. I don't really consider that "toxic" (otherwise lots of fruits would be toxic), so I went ahead and cut one open the other day and popped it in my mouth after de-seeding. Not bad, but not great.

Does anyone have any uses for this little fruit? I've found recipes online for jelly and wine, but I was curious if anyone had tried anything else. And please, spare me the lecture on how these are invasive. Any Google search of the tree produces page after page of hate for the tree with any sort of useful information drowned out completely.
https://appalachianfreepress.com/mountain-folk-forage-bradford-pears/
Kind of like crabapples.

I did some more searching and this seems to be simply because the seeds will combine with stomach acid and produce cyanide. I don't really consider that "toxic" (otherwise lots of fruits would be toxic),

Pears, apples, peaches, plums, cherry trees are all in the rose family. They all contain hydrocyanic compounds. When ingested in the body it becomes cyanide. 100 years ago, people with a bad cough went to the drug store and asked for cyanide water or cherry water. See, Cherry trees contain the highest concentrations of hydrocyanic acid. It's why most herbal remedies for coughs contain the inner bark of cherry trees. Cyanide suppresses lung muscles... controls coughs.

For many years, until the 1920's, hydrocyanic acid from cherry trees was used in commercially produced cough syrup. Because cherry trees were so closely associated with cough syrup in the mind of the public, we have cherry flavored cough syrup to this day. Even though cherry trees haven't been used in decades.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/ok-time-to-show-my-ignorance-again.1100/#post-25792
Bradford pears... trash trees, cut them down! Doesn't even make good firewood. As a plus, they bloom for a couple days in early spring, look okay, nothing to write home about.

I'd drop them and set out something useful in their place like Elderberry. It has along list of medical benefits and nicer blooms.

Note... these hydrocyanic compounds concentrate in the leaves in late summer/fall. Wild cherry tree leaves have been known to kill goats. Happened to a friend in fact.

Last edited:
Pears, apples, peaches, plums, cherry trees are all in the rose family. They all contain hydrocyanic compounds. When ingested in the body it becomes cyanide. 100 years ago, people with a bad cough went to the drug store and asked for cyanide water or cherry water. See, Cherry trees contain the highest concentrations of hydrocyanic acid. It's why most herbal remedies for coughs contain the inner bark of cherry trees. Cyanide suppresses lung muscles... controls coughs.

For many years, until the 1920's, hydrocyanic acid from cherry trees was used in commercially produced cough syrup. Because cherry trees were so closely associated with cough syrup in the mind of the public, we have cherry flavored cough syrup to this day. Even though cherry trees haven't been used in decades.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/ok-time-to-show-my-ignorance-again.1100/#post-25792
Bradford pears... trash trees, cut them down! Doesn't even make good firewood. As a plus, they bloom for a couple days in early spring, look okay, nothing to write home about.

I'd drop them and set out something useful in their place like Elderberry. It has along list of medical benefits and nicer blooms.

Note... these hydrocyanic compounds concentrate in the leaves in late summer/fall. Wild cherry tree leaves have been known to kill goats. Happened to a friend in fact.
Cherry tree leaves are poisonous to horses!

in my neck of the woods the off spring of these trees are filling up fields,pasture and more.

best thing to do with them is cut down to main stem and graft an edible pear on it and turn it into a true fruit producing tree.

In Alaska they graft all sorts of apple varieties to crabapple rootstock because the crabapple is more cold resistant. You need to remove any leaves or branches that appear below the graft as they will be crabapple.
They do that down south too, because Crabapple trees are all-around tougher than than apple trees root systems from hybrid trees.

I am going to repost/archive some of the recipes I've found. All of these are from Dr. Mom at Southern Forager. I'm hoping that by reposting these here it's less likely that these recipes will be lost to time.

Bradford Pear Jelly

Ingredients:

Plastic grocery bag of Bradford pear fruit
Stick of cinnamon
2 T lemon juice
Water
Sugar
Box of powdered pectin

Bradford Pear Jelly

Directions:

Clean the small pears by removing the stem. If you let them sit on your counter for at least a day, the stems dry out and are easier to just pull off. If you get a stubborn one, when you cut the fruit in half and it comes right out. Because it was late in the season, I had no problems pulling the stems off.

Put pears in a large pot. Fill pot with water to just above the fruit. Add stick of cinnamon.

Bring to a boil and reduce temperature to simmer. Cook until pears are mushy (about an hour). Using a potato masher or spoon, lightly mash the pears to help release the pectin and flavor.

Start your canner and water to boil if you plan to complete the jelly on the same day. Mine takes about an hour to get to a boil so now is a good time to turn it on.

At this point, you can drain your mixture using a jelly bag over night, however, I am too impatient for that. Start with a spaghetti strainer and strain the large part parts out of your mixture. Add the leftover fruit mush to your compost. Then move to a fine mesh strainer and strain juice twice. Finally, put coffee filters into your spaghetti strainer and then strain the juice. This takes about 10 minutes which is much easier than waiting overnight and works just as well.

Measure your juice. For every cup of juice, add a cup of sugar. Add two tablespoons of lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stir often.
In a separate bowl, mix your powdered pectin with about a half cup of water until powder is no longer lumpy. Add to your boiling liquid. Stir and bring back to hard boil. Boil for an additional minute. Fill your jars with the hot liquid and boil in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Bradford Pear Sweet and Sour Sauce
Ingredients:

1 gallon baggie of Bradford Pears (about 8 cups after stems removed)
1 whole pineapple, skinned, cored, and chopped small
2 cups chopped peppers (red, green or yellow)
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
4 T soy sauce
6 cups sugar
1 cup clear jel
1 cup of cold water (to mix with clear jel for thickening)

Bradford Pear Sweet and Sour Sauce!

Directions:

Rinse Bradford pears and cut stem off.

Place in pot. Fill with water to above fruit. Boil until soft, crushing fruit to open. Refill water as needed to maintain level. Simmer 1-2 hours for best result.
Strain for juice in jelly bag or several times through a fine mesh strainer. Measure liquid and add water if necessary to equal five cups.

Add liquid to stock pot along with pineapple, peppers, onion, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile mix clear jel and cold water. Add to mixture and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Ladle into prepared jars and water bath 35 minutes.
Makes 6 - 7 pints.

Bradford Pear Wine Recipe

Ingredients
:

8 cups of Bradford Pears
2 gallons water
12 cups sugar
4 teaspoons loose tea
1 campden tablet
1 lime, sliced
1 teaspoon pectin enzyme
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 pack of yeast (wine yeast is best but baking yeast works fine)
2 or 2.5 gallon lidded crock

Bradford Pear Wine!

Directions:

Rinse pears and remove stems. In sections, crush pears by double bagging and using a rolling pin (or step on). Don't use a food processor. You do not want to break the seeds as it may make your wine bitter. Add to a two gallon lidded crock. Boil 1 gallon of water and sugar. Pour over crushed pears. Add tea. Add crushed campden tablet. Mix. Add sliced lime. Mix. If there is space in fermenting jar, add water from the other gallon of water until full. Mix.
Let sit over night (24 hours).

Add 1 teaspoon pectin enzyme and mix. Let sit for six hours.

Add yeast nutrient and yeast. Add lid and clear plastic wrap around lid to prevent anything from entering (a single fruit fly could destroy the entire batch). Occasionally stir. Let sit until bubbles subside. Mine took about eight weeks and was quite strong. Rack wine to clean bottle(s). Rack again once it settles for clear wine. For best results let wine age six months, though you can drink it at this point.

I had neighbors who would go to the Okanogan to visit relatives and take orders for cases of pears, peaches, blueberries, and other fruits as available.. One year I got a case of pears that was extra somehow.. I don't know what kind they were, but once cooked and run through the KitchenAid fruit attachment they made wonderful jam.. Or would that have been more of a compote ?? Or other name product ?? I don't know the differences in these kind of products I guess.. It was really good.. Especially on my slammed together sour milk pancake mix recipe..

@Sam Houston I was doing some research at the National library of Medicine, Pubmed database. Ran across and in depth paper on Cyanides. It's very good and exhaustive. Cyanide is in nature, some places were surprising.

Link below and a short list of veg/fruits with a form of cyanide. They didn't even mention cherry trees.

Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017; 24(19): 15929–15948.
Published online 2017 May 16. doi: 10.1007/s11356-017-9081-7
PMCID: PMC5506515 PMID: 28512706

Cyanides in the environment—analysis—problems and challenges

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5506515/
Cyanides.jpg

Latest posts

Back