Brain "Fart"......or short trip in "Way Back Machine"......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So, I had just written a check to a bank, started to insert it into the envelope, stopped and blew on the check. Came out of my trance and wondered what I was doing. I wonder why I was momentarily back in the 50's........???

I'll wager there are a few who don't understand.

Funny, I went back to using a fountain pen not too long ago because I like how they write.

The wife and I still write checks, but it has been a long time since I used a true fountain pen. My mom would use one, and so did I, a long time ago!

Remember when your school desk had an inkwell.......??? And desk was way-way-way too small for your body, and not because you had a weight problem.

Last edited:
I had a desk with an ink well in school, but we were well into the pencil era by then. pity nobody teaches penmanship these days, its a lost art. would you believe a large percentage of millennials can not write cursive? Many can't read it! Good job school system.....yaaay.

We had these desks. The best I can remember there were 10 desks connected in a row.
The had the ink well holder but no ink well but I do remember ink stains on the desk.
Man I am old.
old-fashioned-school-desk-with-attached-chair-700x395.jpg

How many of you shake a carton of milk before you drink it?
I shake it every time. That must be a throwback to the days when you got whole milk and had to shake it to get the cream mixed in.

I had a desk with an ink well in school, but we were well into the pencil era by then. pity nobody teaches penmanship these days, its a lost art. would you believe a large percentage of millennials can not write cursive? Many can't read it! Good job school system.....yaaay.
When you get older it won't matter how much penmanship you were taught. :confused:
My mom's penmanship was beautiful, 'back in the day'. Her printing even became unreadable 5 years ago.:confused:
My cursive was verified as 'unreadable' in 2000, unless I printed.
Today, even that is a struggle since the essential tremors have progressed:mad:.
If I want to send someone a letter, I type it out and send it to the printer.:confused:
Yes, I spent years in school being taught how to write 'pretty'. :rolleyes:
It means nothing today.
On topic: If I had a fountain-pen, I would just be slinging ink everywhere.

Last edited:
When you get older it won't matter how much penmanship you were taught. :confused:
My mom's penmanship was beautiful, 'back in the day'. Her printing even became unreadable 5 years ago.:confused:
My cursive was verified as 'unreadable' in 2000, unless I printed.
Today, even that is a struggle since the essential tremors have progressed:mad:.
If I want to send someone a letter, I type it out and send it to the printer.:confused:
Yes, I spent years in school being taught how to write 'pretty'.
It means nothing today.
On topic: If I had a fountain-pen, I would just be slinging ink everywhere.
My handwriting has always been very bad. Even printing has always been bad. I tried for years to improve it, but never got it under control

We had these desks. The best I can remember there were 10 desks connected in a row.
The had the ink well holder but no ink well but I do remember ink stains on the desk.
Man I am old.

I shake it every time. That must be a throwback to the days when you got whole milk and had to shake it to get the cream mixed in.
We get whole milk so we shake the jug 😊
I taught calligraphy to middle-schoolers for a term. They could even write with feathers if they wanted to. Needless to say, I like fountain pens.

Mine was a mahogany Meisterstuck
OMG they cost how much these days?!!!! o_0
Um...Anybody know where I can sell these things?

Attachments

• Montblanc_Pen_Pencil_Fountain_Set.png
    Montblanc_Pen_Pencil_Fountain_Set.png
    715.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
would you believe a large percentage of millennials can not write cursive? Many can't read it! Good job school system.....yaaay.

They can't read an analog clock either. SMH

Was it a true fountain pen where you had to draw the ink into the pen from an ink bottle, or was it a cartridge pen where you dropped the ink cartridge into the body of the pen, and when you screwed the point back on it punctured the cartridge? If I had a dime for every shirt that got ruined from a leaky pen in the pocket I would have condos on Venus.

WOW, Sourdough!! You do have to set the Way Back machine for that one. :confused2:

My niece gifted me a fountain pen a couple years ago.
I would use it more if I had more fancy documents to sign.

Back when I was young and dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I received awards for penmanship... then I joined the Army, and the penmanship went out the window. Too many damned forms to fill out and sign... ugh. :confused:

Kids unable to read analog clocks, lol... all part of the dumbing down process, with substandard curricula and Big Tech BS leading the way to eventual slavery as Orwellian 'proles.' :oops:

Man I am old.

Mom has a desk similar to that. The inkwell is on the other side. Nobody has room to put it when she passes.

They can't read an analog clock either. SMH
What's an analog clock? you mean like with hands etc? SERIOUSLY?!
Ugh, just bring on the apocalypse already.

The inkwell is on the other side.
I think you are correct. I suspect the image is reversed and the ink well should be on the other side.
I looked for other pictures and the ink well is always on the right side which makes since because the majority or people are right handed.

Man I am old.

We didn't have desks like that. They would have been hard to use for "Duck and Cover" drills.
1654100909905.png

What's an analog clock? you mean like with hands etc? SERIOUSLY?!
Ugh, just bring on the apocalypse already.

I had heard that England was going to ban analog clocks. Don't know if it ever happened. Good luck changing over Big Ben.

Latest posts

Back