Brain "Fart"......or short trip in "Way Back Machine"......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn't have desks like that. They would have been hard to use for "Duck and Cover" drills.
View attachment 87309

Did anybody else have to do these drills next to an entire wall of glass windows? Very smart. Even at that age we knew if you moved 20 feet and hid in the hallway you had a concrete wall between you and the bad stuff. We were Catholic School kids. We did what we were told.

I looked, I have 2 "digital" watches, everything else is analog, with hands.
I have only used analog watches for the last 10 years. The numbers aren't big enough on digital.
Of course, I couldn't wear one back when I was working because I could destroy ANY watch in less than a year doing my job. :confused:

Haven't worn a watch in years, but I have one digital alarm clock and three analog wall clocks (inherited with this property). Nowadays, I gauge time by looking at the sun... the whole wristwatch-wearing thing didn't work out, I wasted too much time glancing at it, lol. Most kids in this Brave New Third World tell time by looking at their Big Tech smart phones, pfffft... :oops:

I'm retired, the time of day doesn't mean much unless I have some place I need to be at a set time. Which is rare.
We have a bunch of clocks both digital and analog.
In grade school telling time with an analog clock was the only option. No such thing as digital.
The first time the teacher started in teaching time a light went off in my head and I said it was only multiplication times 5.
My Mom would drill us every day on multiplication tables till we had them memorized.
I can even tell time in military time. :) I find it amazing there are military to civilian conversion charts.

Some call it 24-hour time, I still call it military time due to my time served in the Aaarrghmy, lol. But it's a good system, with just four digits ya know exactly what minute of the day it is. No A.M. or P.M., no o'clock, just four digits... works for me! ;)

Of course, I'm an adherent of the 'KISS Principle'---"Keep It Simple, Stoopid!!!" :oops:

I like GMT

Some call it 24-hour time, I still call it military time due to my time served in the Aaarrghmy, lol. But it's a good system, with just four digits ya know exactly what minute of the day it is. No A.M. or P.M., no o'clock, just four digits... works for me! ;)

Of course, I'm an adherent of the 'KISS Principle'---"Keep It Simple, Stoopid!!!" :oops:

Did anybody else have to do these drills next to an entire wall of glass windows? Very smart. Even at that age we knew if you moved 20 feet and hid in the hallway you had a concrete wall between you and the bad stuff. We were Catholic School kids. We did what we were told.
We sometimes did the drill in the hallways next to the lockers. There were windows at one end of the long hallway, tho.

We sometimes did the drill in the hallways next to the lockers. There were windows at one end of the long hallway, tho.

We were kids. What did we know, and back then, you really didn't question? Were the powers that be foolish, and not aware of what a poor plan it was, or did they know we would be vaporized anyway, so it really didn't matter. If someone is going to recommend a plan it damn well better work. If I can think of something better, then you can put your plan where the sun don't shine, and I will use mine. IMHO we probably all feel that way.

Not everybody knows where Greenwich is, especially these kids nowadays... they'll probably think ya meant Greenwich Village in NYC. And the 'GMT' might throw 'em too, but that's only to be expected. :oops:
They "Unknowingly" do use GMT. Everything one does on a computer or cell phone uses it. When one joins a forum like this forum, you set your local time relative to GMT.

I have only used analog watches for the last 10 years. The numbers aren't big enough on digital.
Of course, I couldn't wear one back when I was working because I could destroy ANY watch in less than a year doing my job. :confused:
I wore a Timex Expedition analog for 7 or 8 years but the band broke and I found a new Timex Ironman digital that's meant for exercise with stopwatch, lap time splits, etc. I use it when I'm on bike rides or walks. I suppose I should put a new band on the old one and keep it for a backup...

Last edited:
Back