Bread question, using a simple bread machine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I own a basic machine. Load all ingredients into pot, turn on, and about 4 hours later it's baked bread. My problem is when I take the bread out the top of the loaf is sunk in, and not rounded as one would expect in bread. I do follow directions that came with the machine, and the bread is still good tasting stuff, but I'm just wondering why the top fell in.

I own a basic machine. Load all ingredients into pot, turn on, and about 4 hours later it's baked bread. My problem is when I take the bread out the top of the loaf is sunk in, and not rounded as one would expect in bread. I do follow directions that came with the machine, and the bread is still good tasting stuff, but I'm just wondering why the top fell in.
I sometimes use bread mix (in a box) made for bread machines. Add box mix and the amount of water it says to use, comes out good!

I have had the same issue. I shortened the baking time, and got much better results. I can only guess that baking it to long caused the top to collapse. Try shortening the cycle by 10-15 minutes. It worked for me.

An addition to my post. The only thing I do differently from the directions is that I use regular flour, and not the stuff that is labeled as for bread machines

An addition to my post. The only thing I do differently from the directions is that I use regular flour, and not the stuff that is labeled as for bread machines

I have used both, and could tell no difference between the two. Here is a short tutorial on the two.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my bread but to be honest I don't care. I don't eat bread often but K has no complaints. I did notice this happens more often when I use the little packets of yeast verses measuring it out per the recipe.

I had the same thing happen but it doesn't change the taste so I didn't worry about it. It never occurred to me to try to see what was causing it lol Hubby snarfed it down too fast to worry about it

Now I just use the machine to make the dough and then use a regular bread pan and do the final rise in a warm place then use my oven. Never had a collapsed top that way so I figured it had to do with moisture in the machine or an air bubble in the dough at the top? :dunno:

If bread sinks then it didn't fully cook. just turn the heat up slightly until it stays round on top.

I don't know if this might be part of it, but since I've moved to Colorado, some of my recipes almost always sink in the middle. I wonder if other things that you bake do so as well?

I don't know if this might be part of it, but since I've moved to Colorado, some of my recipes almost always sink in the middle. I wonder if other things that you bake do so as well?

I only have the problem with the bread machine, but since it has only one setting, I'm wondering that since I live in the mountains at an elevation of 2700 feet, that it could be the problem. I do have to dial down the heat on other things by 25 degrees to keep stuff from over baking.

I only have the problem with the bread machine, but since it has only one setting, I'm wondering that since I live in the mountains at an elevation of 2700 feet, that it could be the problem. I do have to dial down the heat on other things by 25 degrees to keep stuff from over baking.

I live in the foothills and before that the mountains. Elevation had to be factored into most baking and cooking when we lived 'up the hill'.

If you go Keto you won't have to deal with bread, but form before keto, i found that the bread machine recipe had to be tweaked because of our altitude,

Latest posts

Back